748 Motobatt Battery

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by dogrose748, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Has anyone on the forum had any experience with motobatt batteries? I fitted one to my 748 at the same time has fitting a new mosfet reg/ rec plus the upgraded starter cables from Exige. Anyway I went out for a good ride,a couple of weeks ago, put the bike back in the garage. A few days later I went to look at the bike, as you do. I noticed some marks or stains on the rear wheel paint. The stains won't rub off so I took the right side fairing off and there was some marks on the crankcase cover paint, I rubbed these and it looked like acid corrosion ( only small marks but enough to piss me off) I took the battery off to inspect it closely and found an airline crack in the end of it. The battery is still under warranty so I rang the supplier, and he told me to message them through eBay,which is how I ordered it. I explained the situation to them plus some photos. I got the reply back that because these batteries are glass mat technology that there is no free liquid acid in to do this sort of damage. " you could cut one of these batteries in half and not get any acid from it " was one of the remarks. I bought this type of battery exactly for the fact they are sealed, but I think they are spinning me a yarn to get out of replacing the faulty battery. Anyone had any similar experiences.
    Thanks Dogrose​

2. no personal experience but have you tried a search yet? did it for you in case not
    Google

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Did you checked for dot brake fluid leaks?

4. Hi Chris thanks for the quick reply, I did the same search, and there must be enough free acid in there to do damage. The staining on the rear wheel doesn't look like its eaten through the paint to the alloy because I use WD40 on most of the surfaces on the bike. But the small bits of corrosion on the crankcase cover have gone through to the metal.
    dogrose

5. No brake fluid leaks. That was my first thought as I didn't think the battery would leak. But good call anyway. It was my first ride on the bike with the new five spoke wheels on, although I intend to paint them a different colour at some stage.
    Thanks anyway

6. Glad you caught it at this stage anyway. I have learnt from this if the above search is anything to go by - I know all about Internet folklore from personal experience but there are enough seperate incidents to be pretty convincing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpg
    Thanks, I have contacted them and left a message.

#8 dogrose748, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  8. Bought one for my old bike, packed in after couple months and motobatt replaced it no problem, M&P however were not interested as i bought it from them originally.

9. When I was in the market for a battery, I did a fair bit of research on both Yuasa and Motobatt.

I found that Yuasa batteries seem to be just solidly, boringly dependable but Motobatt were like Marmite. Lots loved them but lots hated them. I went for the Yuasa.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. just as a testimony to good old Yuasa - I needed to pull a new but 'old style' YB16 out of storage for a new bike and I did wonder if it would be ok after 3 years storage dry. Filled it up and immediately showed 12.6 volts even before charging. Used it today after a trickle charge and works a treat. Wish i'd bought 3 more spares at the price.

11. Dogrose, all agm batteries have to be filled with acid (either by you or supplied already filled) and not all of it sits inside the absorbent glass matt, you get a few ccs sitting in the bottom of the case as the battery has to be slightly over filled to ensure the plates are fully covered with the battery in vertical or horizontal positions. Having cooked a Yuasa agm battery on my 748 when the reg failed to 19v output it melted a hole in the case releasing a few ccs of acid over the frame and swinging arm. I have also have the little dark brown indelible spots staining the frame and some acid damage to the battery box as a result of the fluid leakage - just as well it was not a conventional battery. If you want I can send you a photo of the paint damage which is annoying but not significant. Only clue to its failure was a slight eggy smell when the case burst through at the bottom of the cell closest to the horizontal exhaust. BTW The reg failure is the reason why I would never fit a li ion battery on an old bike like the 748, that reg failure condition could have caused the battery to run away and explode in flames.
    "..... because these batteries are glass mat technology there is no free liquid acid in to do this sort of damage, you could cut one of these batteries in half and not get any acid from it " Is utter bollox, perhaps they should demonstrate it, they will claim it is a gel battery next. Pretty sure Motobat will not be so silly with their after sales response. FWIW I just replaced my 999 one with a Yuasa, the Motobat was 4 years old and had done 2,000 miles so not that bad for age but for the last 12 months since I bought the bike the battery was on its last legs and I could not leave the bike without charging it for more than 4-5days. The Yuasa on the 748 died at 7 years with no discernible decay until the reg failed, if maintained properly the Yuasa will outlast pretty much all the others. The reason Halfords sell them for cars as their premium battery is not an accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I think I'll go with Yuasa AGM then. Although the motobatt I have is nearly 1 year old it's done bugger all work. I've had the 748 from new,it's a 97 model, the original battery was a conventional lead acid battery( I think it was a Yuasa) that lasted about 7 years. Since then I've had other makes of lead acid batteries. The last one I had was an Exide make that lasted for 2 years then I replaced it because that got cooked. I then fitted a new mosfet reg/rec, Exiges starter cable upgrade and one of those LED battery monitor lights along with the motobatt. I thought that'll cure it. The bikes been starting brilliantly, but object to acid spilling on to mi pride n joy.
    Anyway do you have a part number for the Yuasa AGM battery
    I've been on Halfords website and it only shows the YB 16AL-A2 for 97 MY 748.
    Thanks Dogrose

#13 dogrose748, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  13. Try the Yuasa website

14. I had 3 Yuasas on my 916, they all required a trickle charge if left more than a couple of weeks and none lasted very long.

I've now got a Motobatt, fitted about 4/5 years ago and not needed to be on a charger despite me using the bike less in the last couple of years.

I've also got a Motobatt on the Monster and the Moto Guzzi (32AH!) and all three bikes will start first push of the starter, where before the 916 would sometimes need a few attempts and wouldn't start if it had been left a couple of weeks as the voltage would drop too low whilst cranking, and the Guzzi was a real pig to start (even with a new battery), often running the battery down to 5v on startup and sometimes not starting at all.

I rate Motobatt highly, the only downside is the weight (Guzzi battery weighs over 10kg) but I'd rather carry a couple of kg of extra battery than push 200kg of bike.

15. had a mottobatt on my ss for a couple of years
    take it of the bike for winter etc and keep a trickle charge on
    every now and then till put back on the bike
    always been a good starter loads of power
    but last winter while off the bike it was found sitting in a pool of fluid
    while off the bike it developed a crack in the base
    luckily nothing damaged by the acid

16. Motobat fitted and working on my 853 for six trouble free years.
    Steve

17. Are you comparing like with like??

Motobatt batteries are all AGM, which are inherently superior to lead acid, giving much better CCA figures. Yuasa make AGM batteries but they also make lead-acid as well.
    If your 916 battery was lead-acid, then the comparison is not a fair one.

18. You are right, I was comparing a Motobatt to lead-acid Yuasa batteries, I've not tried a Yuasa AGM battery so can't comment on them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. image.png image.png This is some of the correspondence between me an busters.Sorry don't know how else to post this,so I just took a screenshot.
    Dogrose

#20 dogrose748, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
Do Not Sell My Personal Information