Motobatt for 996

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RobbyS, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Just bought a Motobatt MB16AU for my 996, expected it to fit straight in but as it is a few mm deeper it barely fits into the battery tray and it's not possible to use the original top clamp to retain it!!

Anyone had similar problem with a good fix? Really don't want to phaff around making new brackets etc!!

2. Yes, fitted the same to my 916 and had the same problem. Sorted with 4 very long cable ties slipped behind the battery carrier and pulled up tight. Did that 18 months ago and hasn't budged until I had to cut them off to remove the heads last week.

3. Same problem fitting it into my SS ie. there is a rubber liner in the SS battery box, the motobatt is about 1mm too wide to alow it to slip into the liner. The solution was to remove the liner and drop the battery directly into the (plastic) box.

4. The Motobat does not allow you to use the top clamp so you still have to have an alternative attachment of some description.

5. I bought a Motobatt for my 916, as stated above the top clamp won't fit so I made a new one from a strip of stainless steel, you could just use large cable ties though.

Also had to take the rubber mat out of the battery holder to get it to drop low enough, otherwise it fits OK and it certainly turns the engine over quicker than the Yuasa.

[​IMG]

6. They do seem to be the mutts nuts. I've noticed my battery conditioner on the ducati (oximiser 900) seems to have to do a lot less keeping it conditioned.

The battery on my CBR is just a cheap one, now about 13 months old. So far the optimate on the CBR gas kept it fit, but when it does eventually go down it will get a motobatt as well. My mate is slowly replacing all of his bike batteries with motobatts as the old ones fail.

7. bought a motobatt for my 750 ss ie
    fantastic also good with battery lead upgrade
    my neighbours gsx 1000 seems to need a jump start if not used for more than a couple of days yuasa battery !

8. Below

#8 ministry, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  9. I used cable ties to hold the battery in at first. I did notice that it was right up against the fairing when that was fitted also. But worked fine, just looked untidy when fairing was removed. So last weekend I got a bit of aluminium off eBay for a couple of quid. Drilled a hole and bent to shape to fit. As per picture. Sorted.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheers guys, will get my hacksaw out and fashion a suitable bracket.. cab;e ties will have to do for now though! Thoroughly recommend the battery though, really strong cranking power!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information