1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motolug Trailer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Leesey, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Does it feel secure when being towed? Used to towing caravans, trailers etc, just interested to know if it bounces round a lot. Bet the wheel upgrade helps.

Sorry for all questions, been looking for one for a while and also been looking at this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143334247369

Big price jump though.

2. The motolug tows brilliantly, I've had mine for 9 years now and there is nothing that could touch it when it comes to value for money and space saving. The one you're looking at on Ebay is £2150, that's a big jump in price.

3. I agree with that. After a mile or so I stop and tighten the straps down again. I’ve got some closed loop ratcheting tie downs, the only way to go.

The trailer is a very useful piece of kit. Tows well and stores in the garage without taking a trailer space.

4. I've had mine for approx 6 years now.
    As many have said very useful/smart bit of kit. Really useful for euro trip bike drop off and collections, easy to take the trailer in bits in your car, then assemble when you get there.
    Two grumbles though;
    The paint finish on the central ramp is crap and soon flakes off when/if used in the winter.
    The rear lights are shamefully poor, probably the cheapest, nastiest pieces of unreliable crap the manufactures can find.
    I replaced mine with LED ones, I got bored of being told I had a light/indicator out. Wouldn't have been long before some bored traffic plod would have pulled me over!

5. Shackle image.jpg Diameter 5.8 mm
    Length per pic.

6. Interesting post, I have been looking at a two bike version for a while, but I wondered what it tows like with only one bike on as it's over to one side.

7. I have a 2 bike trailer (not a Motolug) and it tows fine with just one bike even when the one bike was a GS I rescued on the M3. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. When you use it with one bike the bike is central, exactly the same as the single. With two bikes they are equidistant from the centre line of the trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I haven’t towed with it yet (I will be next week) I’m used to towing 2 tonne caravans. I’ve heard it toes brilliantly but the tow car has a lot to do with this.

10. I've used mine both with a Golf and a Nissan Gayguy. Been fine...:upyeah:

11. I've used a 2 bike folding trailer from Phoenix Trailers https://www.phoenixtrailer.co.uk/trailers/ for last 3 years. Both to take my 900ss to track days and VFR1200 across Europe to Austria via Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany and down to South of France. Used it singly and with 2 bikes and am extremely impressed. They are a small family company in Shropshire and while they have standard models will basically modify them to whatever you want. Full size wheels, leaf spring suspension you hardly know it's there when towing. No, I have nothing to do with them, just I was so impressed with it and think its good to support small companies who make an excellent product which to me was also good value.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Would be good if they had a website that works, that puts me off any supplier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I agree. The MotoLug does the job, and takes very little storage space between usages. Don't attach the tail lamp and reg plate boards until after you have put the bike on the trailer.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. It would also help if they had some photos of their folding bike trailers in the folded position, as you'd have thought that common sense would tell you that one of the main considerations of anyone thinking of buying a folding trailer is storage space and portability. As they haven't got any photos and I note that their unladen weight is over twice that of the comparable Motolug trailers, I will just assume the trailers don't fold down quickly or easily or into a small footprint and will give their company a swerve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sorry that the website seems to not function at the moment. I was just voicing my experience with a product, everyone is free to do their own research as they see fit. Happy trailer hunting.

16. Just had the Motolug SE Plus delivered today. Practise assembly in the back garden this evening. I should also add that Julia of Motolug was a great help in answering my questions and getting back to me promptly.

Last week I was chatting to a guy at Oulton Park who had a Motolug. He stated that sometime when loading the motorbike the rear wheel could lack traction on the ramp if using the bike engine/clutch/brake to overcome the chock. Easily remedied with the use of Anti-Slip tape to the ramp, £10 from screwfix for a 10m roll.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Having assembled the unit ignore the tip about anti-slip tape. It comes with some already applied :rolleyes::upyeah:

18. Only on newer versions. Older ones it’s a good mod.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information