1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorapido Break In Stolen Bike

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes/Parts' started by bradders, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Judging by how close that chain link fence is, they would have had to lay the bike on its side in order to get it out. If it had been wheeled out upright, the back wheel might have hit the fence before the front wheel cleared the hole and they'd have been stuck, but laying it on its side and making the hole wide enough to be able to turn the bike as it went through avoided that problem. If they'd been smart, they would have laid it on a little trolley to make the job even easier, but the amount of rubble on the floor suggests they either carried it clear of the ground, or perhaps they were really smart and they did use a trolley but then replaced the rubble afterwards in order to cover their tracks and add to the mystery.

That also suggests they recced the outside of the building, so something may turn up on historic cctv. If they were really really smart, they would have done that ages ago as a lot of digital cctv systems with internal storage overwrite their saved footage after 31 days.

#61 Zhed46, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It was a botched bank job, they got confused in the dark and targeted the wrong building, while they were there they thought they might as well have one of those red things rather than a wasted journey. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It’s a sad state of affairs that we are spending more time musing over the methodology used to steal it than the police will have to investigate it.

There must be a myriad CCTV cameras covering every possible road in and out of the area. With enough time the van could be found entering or leaving. The same van would show up on other CCTV such as petrol stations.

I have seen it done in murder investigations so it is possible - just not enough manpower to do it for every crime.

I know there are huge privacy implications but without using technology and automating this with image recognition tech we have no chance of fighting crime. Even with CCTV being as prolific as it now is - it’s still a manual process to gather footage from multiple sources and review.

4. Nice to acknowledge their awareness of the CCTV and alarm zones.

Also the fact that it wasn't a customers bike that got taken.

Theft covered on insurance.

No harm done..

5. Your no fun I didn't even get a chance to disagree with you o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Why would anyone go to that bother to pinch a bike?

For all that effort, ripping out a cash machine from the coop will net more cash. You can then buy a V4R legit (kinda) with the cash and have some left over, to maybe, afford the Silverstone Ducati day.

A nicked 35k bike isn't worth 35k.

Now, if you had recently bought a legit salvaged V4R that needed expensive parts to make good.....or would you still snatch that cash machine?

Pikeys do love a motorbike tho...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maybe the thieves boss wanted a bike above his sofa to smile over.

ps: This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

8. Yep. But the police would actually investigate that because bank money is different to normal people’s money. It would also be all over the news, possibly nationally, meaning there’s a greater chance of getting caught.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I get your point but 40grand from a cash machine really is 40 grand
    A 40 grand motorbike isn't. Go buy one soon as you take it out the shop you will find it's only worth 30 grand

10. Rob a bank or machine and face 10yrs in jail. Smash a hole in the wall and grab a bike and face not even an investigation.

that’s the difference

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Nah more stereotypical hype credit cars and cash faceless crime...

12. The point I was making is that certain types of crime get an immediate and intensive police response whereas others simply get a constabulary shrug, and it is rarely related to the amount of money stolen or harm done but is more to do with who/what the victim is.

#72 Zhed46, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. The Rapido heist has made it to US news.

Do the police have different criteria for banks and normal peoples money?

14. I doubt there is an official policy but I would bet you if someone had cut an ATM out of a wall the police response would have been instant and the investigation intense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. I'm guessing "The Establishment" does ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. An example from a few years ago.

I got royally stitched up by an insurance company who quoted one price for my car policy but then I discovered a few months later that they’d been deducting almost twice that amount from my bank account. I imagine that if I had reported it to the cops I would have been laughed out of the police station. I also imagine the CEO of the insurance company will probably get an OBE at some stage.

At around the same time I represented a Traveler who was charged with fraud for doing something remarkably similar - he had done a roofing job for an agreed price of £5k but then when he finished the job and the old lady came to pay by cheque (again, the agreed form of payment) he claimed they’d agreed cash or bank transfer. Long story short, he persuaded her to give him her debit card details so he could sort it out and he debited IIRC £11k. From memory, he got 6 months on a plea (so would have been 9 months if convicted after trial).

Double standards, much?

17. Yeah, but 'travellers'........ ;):D

18. Judging by the Norton fiasco, YES.

19. I see one as an oversight and the other as theft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I did apologise Terry x

Do Not Sell My Personal Information