1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

movie review thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by paulfastbikes, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Nope - as I say - don't go in for all that stuff.....lightsabers: Small but interesting story...my mate who ive known for the last 30+ years, their daughter went to a local school, made friends with another little girl...they became then friends with the parents and it turned out he had his own production company....which in turn rendered 25 mins of The force Awakens footage (apparently there were 5 production houses that all got random footage so they couldn't put the plot together) - I met him a few times...nice bloke...last year he moved to LA (decided to become a director) and his first production was this...

He texted my mate with the link and said "guess whose using the light sabre you lent me..."

I think he's now on Disney's payroll....

2. Good story, i think the early ones are the best films, will go see a film over Easter but don't know which one.

3. Always a good one to tell.... Last time we went out the next day he had to fly out to new York to re shoot spiderman footage.... Fucking rock star I am! I say that but he really only was a friend of a friend... Nothing more...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just saw Spotlight this evening.
    Good film, but not exactly cinematographic. Mainly shot in unedifying interiors. Still, nice to see a good plot with not a gun in sight.
    What is almost more interesting is the size of the scandal and the way it has been pretty much ignored, really:
    "Oh, yeah. Some priests knob kids. I wonder who is going to be the next James Bond?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Perhaps everybody just took it for granted that Catholic priests are abusive weirdos, and always have been. So nobody was surprised.

6. There are, apparently 1.2 bn Catholics in the world.
    So while us non-Catholics do probably think that the institution is riven with abusive weirdos, you'd suspect that an awful lot of people still need to wake up.

My brother (totally atheist) sent his kids to a Catholic school because in his backwater of Australia, it was by far the best school. He could be relied on to undo any strange religious thoughts his kids might pick up there. Still, institutionalised pedophilia in the RC Church should be news. It's odd that it isn't.
    Maybe they need to read that bit in the Bible about the mote of dust in the eye of another and the plank of wood in one's own eye. (There are some good points made in the Bible).

7. I suspect that people feel that simply because we are all talking about RC priests and their vile behaviour, "something is being done about it". It will all be stamped out because the RC church has been caught "at it" and therefore the abuse will stop.

I wonder if any of what people believe in this respect is true.

8. They have been caught at it in several countries - USA, Ireland, Australia - but there are still many, many Catholic nations where they still have total impunity. There are lots of kids being sexually abused right now, and they have managed to keep it suppressed so far. Expect lots more revelations over the coming years.

9. Seems depressingly likely.

10. But you've got 1.2 billion people who are going to have to reassess what they believe, even their entire identity. That isn't going to happen. So much easier to brush it all under the carpet and pretend it isn't happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. In France, the Cardinal Archbishop of Lyons, who knew about sex abuse by priests in 2007 but refused to do anything about it, is on record as saying that it is now too late to take action because "... the statute of limitations has expired, thank God" (sic). The Prime Minister of France (M. Valls) has called on the Cardinal to resign. Needless to say, he is refusing. And so it goes.

12. Dontcha just hate 'em?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. When i came out of the cinema i mention to Mrs RT, my Father would have liked to have seen that and could add a few more stories to the whole topic,
    He lived at Regents Park and went too The London Oratory school, His mother was Irish and father Scottish and had a very strict Catholic life, until he left school, he hated every part of it and always said they were EVIL / CRUEL and hid behind the cross which meant it was ok :Finger:

14. Just watching the Hunger Games. It’s weird but kind of hypnotic at the same time.

15. yes she is

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anybody seen Deadpool 2 yet? :thinkingface:

17. Deadpool 2 was cool.

You want something odd and funny. TV show Happy! On Netflix.

Another one on Netflix is altered Carbon.

18. i thought altered carbon was pants. mind you i'm now struggling with hannibal, its not much better

19. Yes I have it’s really good, well I liked it

• Like Like x 1
  20. Loved Altered Carbon. Wonderful wonderful SF, that.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information