1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving To The Country From London

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yev, Sep 28, 2021.

1. I live in the sticks, it was a new barn conversion, single track lane and took 6 months to get broadband when we moved in... the good news is as rural broadband became a priority I managed to get 300Mb FTTP, I believe I can get 900Mb now.

We've had a fair few powercuts in the 2 years we've lived here though, probably every 1-2 months due to overhead cables, trees etc.

Luckily I've been home based since the start of the pandemic, but prior to that I was communiting everyday to Liverpool, 30 mins to the station, parking £5 per day (cheap), £300 per month rail card, 45 min train journey (assuming it wasn't delayed or cancelled - happened quite a bit), then a 20 min walk across the city centre to the office, so not far off 3 1/2 commute each day, just as quick to get to London in fact...

2. been commuting since my move out of bethnal green in 07. first to north herts and since 2011 in south bucks but with tube station in village. its all very doable and best thing is i got the space for my toys and the schools are good. dog loves it too. i will head back into town once the boys are older but for now the commute works well. youll have fun good luck with completion

3. Wow. Sounds quite depressing this commute business!
    Anyway. Exchanged today so no way back!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I’m sure you’ll enjoy Nooarfuk (correct pronunciation)Some good riding out there.

Whereabouts, the link isn't working.

5. Also if it’s been put in underground farmers have a habit of ploughing it up especially if they rent the field
    Ask me how I know :D

6. You all know where I'm from, 25mile or so from work, was getting to around 1.5 hours to get to work from home, round down for quiet weeks, say 10 hours a week commute at the very least. I now ride the motorbike, only if icy, snow, shit loads of salt, I take the car.
    I worked from home during covid and my life improved greatly, well being and just plain less stressful. Biking a commute isn't enjoyable, filtering, dark mornings and evenings in winter isn't fun. It's bloody dangerous at times, but it is what it is and you learn how to commute on a bike. Well, you either learn or you will be gathering the bike off the road on a regular basis.
    I still don't understand why so many were and are so keen to get back to commuting. Its terrible.
    However, would I change it, no, because I like where I live, that sense of getting away from it.
    Enjoy your new home, I offer my best wishes for a great future, enjoy it.

7. Completed this morning. Just packing the car and off I go . Beginning of a country living stars now…

• Like Like x 6
  8. Congratulations. Housewarming party? ;)

9. 3613523.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Whereabouts have you moved to? I’m over in Norwich. The best bike meet is held at a pub called The Ox and Plough in Old Buckenham. It’s called two wheel tuesday and you should be able to find it on Facebook.

• Like Like x 1
  11. My quote large car is lost outside the house 722D595E-DF87-41BF-864A-15DA31204D7A.jpeg

12. That’s a hell of a pile! What are you going to name it?

Some suggestions for you.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Lovely house! Certainly get your moneys worth up this neck of the woods. Just need the Barbour and shotguns now!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. And the Butler, Cook, Maid, Gardener, Gamekeeper etc.

15. Looks prime for AirBnB retirement plan

16. Mate. I am 47! Don’t retire me just yet!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Don't forget that very naughty au-pair.

18. The one thing i always look at first on older propertys is the chimneys, i do like the look, shape and craftsmanship that goes into them and they look superb :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. I’ve got big chimneys on my house.. I think about gusty winds!:worried:

20. Good point that o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information