1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multi Or Tiger 1200

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by yellowducmaniac, Aug 5, 2020.

1. At the premium paid for a prestige product, it shouldn't come down to luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. A mate went from a Tiger to a 1200 DVT recently, he described the Ducati as night and day.

I'm assuming he meant that in a positive way.

3. What he probably meant was that NOW, he can't stop riding "night & day".....You see, the Ducati makes the most sense, for a variety of reasons. Can't believe that I just said that!:no_mouth:

4. Night and Day, those LED lights are great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Have several friends with tiger 1200s. They love them when they get the windshields and seats sorted. But they are tall/big guys.

Having owned many bikes I feel the multi is the best bike all around I've ever owned. It is also the most expensive to maintain. In 28000 miles I've replaced the fuel sender (not counting one replaced in warranty), a battery, and the expansion tank since it leaked. First start this year the exhaust valve seized so I am bypassing it now. But after adding a Sargent seat (the touratech was better than stock but not good for distance) it's a fine tourer. Unfortunately, my independent triumph mechanic passed a couple of years ago. I trusted his work completely and he never screwed me on cost.

6. Tiger 900? Hasn't got the guts of the larger bikes but it's very capable, not too expensive and plenty of accessories and dealerships for servicing.

7. When you compare them after a test ride; Triumph 1200 V GS v Multistrada, I know what your heart will want :)

36K On original 2010 and it's a keeper as other bikes feel boring in comparison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Got 180.000 KM (115.000) on my 2010 MTS. Never had any engine problem except for the infamous porous cylinder head. But that is specific to that first generation and the wrong type of cooling liquid. I had 140.000 k on my ST4S without any engine problems. So no reason to worry about durability

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Multi ... Multi... Multi..
    just got rid of a Tiger 1050 nice bike but boring and nowdays budget build sweet and forgiving handling Though.
    Just purchased a 1260 and still got my 1200 ... Ducati all the way for me.
    1260 is a sanitised version of the 1200 but still has character.

10. Crank shaft, cam shaft, top shaft, lay shaft, and output shaft just like a tiger or GS but all powering a proper drive chain

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Thanks for all the input and advice, however I went for a test ride on a KTM 1190 yesterday and I think I'm hooked, I rode the tiger 12 and it feels pedestrian in comparison, havent had chance to compare it to a multi yet tho...

12. Buy the bike that has the most power that you can afford. No one has ever said they have too much power. Many have said they'd like more.

13. What, like you get on a bicycle

14. Its like a ferrari v skoda and put a good VW golf in the mix ... your always gonna pic the ferrari

15. That's an amazing mileage Eric. So no major mechanical work but how long did the clutch last?
    You must hold the Multi record!

16. I swapped from a 1200 Explorer to my 1200 DVT. The Triumph was more comfortable and not too far behind on performance in the real world. Mine was out of warranty but Triumph stood by it on a fairly expensive repair. The only downside is the weight of the damn things but if you are young, fit and strong the Triumph is a great bike for long distances.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I have a 1290 SA and it works for me in a way that the MTS doesn’t, each to his own I guess. You won’t be disappointed with the 1190, the MTS or a GSA for that matter but the GSA does tend to accurately predict your demographic unfortunately and hourly service charges are scandalously high.

18. Honda is a great bike with reliability second to none however it does not have any soul from my perspective. A big factor with ownership of any bike in my stable.

19. I like my bikes to make you look back when you’ve parked it. The 1200s DVT in full pikes peak regalia makes me do that every time. Ducati is the Ferrari of the bike world. Love mine done 20k on it. Just had the big service. Cost £650 to replace all fluids valve clearances belts plugs etc etc. Kept costs down by stripping all the bodywork before they collected it.

20. Has taken me 10 years to get there, include a trip to the North Cape. No major mechanical work at all. But have been sticking to the prescribed maintenance schedule. Still on the original clutch. Sometimes a bit sticky when cold, but okay when warm.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information