1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1000 Ds Scrambler Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by buzzer, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Collected the frame and wheels from Redditch shotblasting… another superb job! its a 50 mile round trip for me, but well worth it for his quality work!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. My engine cases are back from the vapour blasters… another superb job from SP Vapour Blasting who are meticulous and I completely trust to do a good job! When I get them back, the first thing I do is clean them of any media that is left from the cleaning process. They were VERY clear of media, but I like to be sure! I then inspect all the threads. No point in building the engine up to find you have suspect threads, as at this stage its easy to rectify any that are poor. As it happens the only two that needed attention were the ones that hold the stand bracket on. This is a common failure point and I have seen a few cases cracked in this area due to lose bolts. I drilled the hole out and used a M10 x 1.5 helicoil. As these are a couple of really stressed bolts I use a double depth helicoil inserts (see picture for comparison) , just to make a good job of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. Starting to assemble the heads. New exhaust guides fitted as the originals were badly worn. I heated the heads up to remove and replace the guides, and made a tool to knock them in up to the register. It’s long enough to go through a guide in which is a snug fit in the valve seat so I can ensure it all goes in perfectly straight. Also I have a tool to fit the valve stem oil seals… if you use a socket it damages the rubber on the seal. Two of the rockers had started to peel the hard surface off… I have replaced with good second hand ones. My Dad bought me that tin of grinding paste 50 years ago…. I can vividly remember him sitting in the chair in our back room with a BSA Gold Star cylinder head on his lap grinding the valves in for me…. My mother looking on with disapproval :mrgreen: it’s done well, only recently run out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Loving this thread :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Good! you do wonder sometimes if people get board with my ramblings!!

when people say to me Ducati bikes are expensive to service I ask them if they have ever done the valve clearances! on this engine there are 8 clearances to set, on the 4V there are 16! at £12 a shim and with the time involved no wonder its expensive!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Build-up of the engine commences… The tool for holding the flywheel is essential. This one is home made, but they are cheap anyway. When people say wedge a penny in the gears I cringe!

One important thing to remember is there is one special bolt in the cases that acts as an oil feed to the LH case. This needs to go in a certain hole!

The bottle of oil is strategically placed... I am so ashamed of the welding on that engine frame!

I had a little help bead blasting the other day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  7. There is something satisfying about doing the hydraulics. I pulled everything apart and gave it all a good clean, bead blasted everything and put it all back together with a smear of rubber brake grease and brake fluid. I didn’t replace any of the rubbers on this build, all seems to be in nice condition, so they just got a quick wash in methylated spirits.

Last update for a few days... I will be 66 tomorrow... a Pensioner! Another milestone reached! My wife is treating me to a few days away and we have family things planned!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#27 buzzer, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. I took a good look at the forks, and while the sliders were perfect, the anodizing on the legs was past its best. I popped them in the lathe and used some 240 paper to remove the anodising, then followed it up with some 800, and then a polish. they came up a treat! I did consider re-anodizing them but there is so much to polish anyway! I fitted a couple of new seals, and some new oil. all in all not a difficult job!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Hope you had a lovely birthday @buzzer

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I did thanks!

Started the rebuild of the engine… a tip I picked up years ago is its sometimes best to pop the piston in the bore with a ring clamp from the top, and then push it down far enough so you can get the piston pin in from the side… this saves broken rings and that’s important when a set for one piston is over £200! Put some rag in the open crankcase before putting the circlip in though!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I couldn’t resist modifying the clutch cover… I guess that the clutch is going to be even more noisy now!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  12. Finished making the belt covers… they cut easily with a hole saw and a diamond wheel in the Dremel… as does the 3mm Polycarbonate. not everyone like the fake carbon look... but I like it, and its very durable when coated with some 2K clear. In fact, more durable than the real thing in some case! Its cheap and easy to do as well... here is a short video of the process...

the engine is now finished, time to start assembly soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. started to pull it all together now, its amazing how quickly it all comes together once the engine is finished... it must be the easiest bike to put the engine in!

slight halt in proceeding now though, the car failed its MOT yesterday so I have to fix that... the parts are only available from Mercedes and only Germany hold stock... first time in over 40 years one of our cars has failed an MOT... I was gutted! :'(

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. The rear shocker was actually OK…. but the plating was poor on many of the parts, and I knew that would niggle me! so I pulled it all apart and zinc plated all the parts that needed it, including the banjos on the end of the pipe. I bought a new seal kit, and some oil and re-assembled. the only tricky part was undoing the threaded centre tube out of the body. I didn't want to use grips so I wrapped some thin rubber around it and tightened a couple of jubilee clips around it and used the grips on that. worked a treat!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  15. here are a few photos of the detail as it comes together… I am particularly pleased with the rear number plate arrangement and speedo housing.

Another batch of polishing done... its a hard, filthy and quite dangerous job, so I tend to do it in batches, I thought this was the last batch, but as usual when I had finished and cleaned the workshop and myself... I find parts I have missed!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  16. Funny how you think some jobs are going to be easy… I needed to bend some stainless steel rod into some hoops for the exhausts springs… easy enough I though, and tried to bend it over an 8mm bolt. After about the 5th attempt and failing to get a nice radius I ran out of rod.. I needed to think again! so I made this little jig and managed to finally get some nice even bends!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  17. Brilliant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wow!!! Very pretty :)

19. Started work on the wiring diagram… I always do one of these for a build, and invest some time in it as (1) its easier to design in stages, and ( 2) I think of the poor next owner trying to fault find in years to come! and (3) I can do it while she watches stuff like Strictly come dancing

Its not finished yet, but its getting there. I love the wiring stage of a build

I did start to do it on my iPad on an App… which was a actually very good... but I got conned! after a few days it came up “your trial period is over – please pay” I wish I had spotted that in the small print before I started! so it was back to good old Microsoft Visio

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  20. First time in the sunlight for a while… the exhaust is now finished and I have added a heat shield to protect the underside of the seat, and some protectors for the stanchions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information