1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1000ds Custom Project

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by buzzer, Aug 31, 2017.

1. lovely job Buzzer, but why would you polish your footpegs?

2. That's a good point... now they are nice and shiny, I will be running the linisher across the tops of the serrations to make them less slippy.

3. Brilliant thread....havent seen this one before....will start following with great interest...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Here is the final mock up before painting the tank, seat, and bits and pieces. I have started it up, it went first time! however it does not rev well... due I am told to the fact I need to reset the TPS. I have ordered the cables and will do that soon as they come.

I have finished the cam belt covers with accurate cut poly carbonate windows, it remains to be seen how these fair... we will see. I have also made a new clutch lever pivot as the old one was a bit worn.

The painting will have to wait a while as I have cracked a rib, so struggling to do much... hence the play with Photoshop below! I am a bit undecided on what colour to do it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. looking good. FWIW, A or C get my vote.

6. Wow:p

CCAEC3D2-70CF-4B1A-A3B1-38F74DCD76C2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. D in silver but not a gold seat, looks quite nice

8. I vote lose the pillion seat and plastic cowl.
    Otherwise great.

9. Well I decided on red and carbon... started the paintwork, and finished the hydrographic dipping of the parts I want the carbon look on.

I pondered a long time how to finish the ends of the tank where the fairing used to connect. I sat down with some cardboard and tried to cut and fabricate a shape that I could transfer to aluminium so I could weld it up. the shape I wanted was just too complicated. Then I hit on the idea of using body filler… I made a brass bush to sit in the filler, then covered the end of the tank in aluminium foil, and slapped the filler on! once sanded to shape I hydrographic dipped them in carbon fibre film. They came out rather well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Some impressive work there Buzzer... I'm in the early stages of a similar de-uglification project with my 03 1000ds... You are clearly a talented mechanical engineer I'm OK with mechanicals but in the multi electrical system, I've opened myself up a massive can of worms that I know nowt about. I had hoped to relocate some major components, ECU etc into the airbox and make room by removing the filter and fitting pods... Now that I've actually got to this stage, I think it would be easier to wrestle a bucket full of eels into it!
    How the hell did you manage to deal with this...

20180126_180206[1].jpg

11. Some impressive work there Buzzer... I'm in the early stages of a similar de-uglification project with my 03 1000ds... You are clearly a talented mechanical engineer I'm OK with mechanicals but in the multi electrical system, I've opened myself up a massive can of worms that I know nowt about. I had hoped to relocate some major components, ECU etc into the airbox and make room by removing the filter and fitting pods... Now that I've actually got to this stage, I think it would be easier to wrestle a bucket full of eels into it!
    How the hell did you manage to deal with this...

12. Hi Colin. I looked long and hard about getting all the electrics in the air box area, and decided that doing that would still require a lot of rewire work so i made the decision to put everything under the seat area. Re the wiring... many years ago i helped a guy who repaired alarm systems... we went to a factory where there was a 36 zone system. That was probably 40 odd wires each with 6 coloured strands! The box was like a rats nest! He taught me to break it down and look at each zone at a time. It then actually becomes much more simple.

Its a bit like that on a bike... if you look at the wiring diagram its just components connected with wires. If you break it down, component at a time, its not so daunting.

What i did was blow the diagram up to A1 size which makes it much easier to follow. I then mounted the components like the fuse box, Ecu, battery, relays, on a plate under the seat. I then extended the wires to reach them! I acually used the same pink wire, rather than buy all the different colours in the loom. If you cut the wires, be sure to step the joins so they dont fret together, and also you dont end up with a thick section in the loom.

To join wires i use heat shrink and solder. Be sure to use a quality fluxed solder which is for electronic use, this is important as you dont want to use a corrosive flux. Solder the join, slide over the heat shrink, and apply a little heat and you have a good join. I like the heat shrink with glue in it, it makes a nice water tight joint. Tick off each wire on the diagram as you do it. Its time consuming though!

Where you based?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Forgot... if you want a JPEG of the wireing diagram for an 03 bike i have a good quality scan i can send you!

14. Thanks Buzzer... I'm based in the north east, just north of Newcastle... I'd appreciate the jpeg of the wiring diagram. Cheers. My email is [email protected]
    I've also removed the under-seat exhaust and managed to fit a big bore shorty Delkevic can using the cut down original link pipe, so it would make sense for me to do the same as you and use the space for the sparks. There's two bling upward facing M8 lugs on the frame here, did you drill &tap through these to mount the box? I had planned to at least put the battery here, but now the whole lot will be going in! Also, did you use the stock battery? I was looking at lithium ion types but whilst these are much lighter the one I found was the same size as the original.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Colin.

15. welcome Dave. Introduce yourself properly in the newbies section - https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/forums/newbies-hangout.13/

16. butting in on your conversation Colin, could be an ideal time to review your battery size as poor starting/flat battery gremlins are often the bane of many early MS Owners. Doing it 'your way' is all the fun of it, but I would be fitting a YB16AL-A2 equiv or similar if there were room/if it were me.

17. I would appreciate the jpeg of the wiring diagram also Buzzer
    my email address: [email protected]

18. I have sent copies to you guys!

19. Thanks Tony, very much appreciated.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information