1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 The Most Complained About Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Borgo Panigale, Jun 10, 2016.

1. I don't dislike the DVT, it is still a very good bike, but it doesn't have the rawness of the original, which I like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yip. hear a lot of stories like that. and that's all it takes to sour a relationship. 5yr old car aint old no matter what make. and what difference should it make anyhoo?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I buy all my bikes privately and I'd love to own a multi but with all these horror stories can't bring myself to take the plunge.
    Having said that I guess the early bikes will soon be less than £5k looking at their depreciation rate so might take a chance ......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'M looking for another Pikes Peak, but the first model, for the right money as a project bike.... the most power!

5. Looks like the trade like them about as much as a ssanyong Musso !
    IMG_3275.JPG

#45 Wassy, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Rare picture taken today of one moving under its own power

IMG_3277.JPG

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. with the new map and a 42t sprocket, its changed a lot :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mine is coming to the end of its warrantee - so I have just ordered a new one..

This time with a warrantee extension to 3 years.

I have had just minor niggles on my 2015 DVT (fuel sensor, map, mileage reset) and can absolutely without doubt say its been the best bike I have owned in 30 years has done most mileage of any in 2 years (still not high by many peoples standards)

It is the bike also that has been back the most to the dealer the most too... but its also the most complicated..

I ride it for 120 to 130 mile rides at a time its comfortable, fun, fast and NEVER let me down.

I did the 42 tooth mod too.

I was thinking of putting it in and just keeping the scrambler (because I am getting old and creaky) - but 2 weeks ago took it for a ride - came home and ordered the replacement - because I enjoyed the ride so much..

By the time it would have been 2 years old it would have had 10K miles on it.

Has it lost lots of money in depreciation .... Yes.... But so do every car and bike I buy... have to spend your money on something...

You live once... enjoy it...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. When I bought my Honda Blackbird, I had a bike that would do everything I asked for and and then some. When I bought my Strada, the best way I can sum it up as, I bought an experience

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bought my multi last June which had 17k on the clock. Drove it fault free for 5k until the front cylinder coil went [3* in garage before the cause was found]. On my last visit I was told by the manager he would never have bought a Multi for all year running and a multi was for sunny climes not rainy Britain and would have suggested a Honda [WFT !!]. Later that day I saw him the message was changed to 'if you ride them all year round the Multi will need more maintenance. Paint on the engine casing flaking now :-(. Bike going in tomorrow to get an external hose replaced [not essential as it just takes engine vapour out, but looks crap from deterioration] BUT the suspension wont budge from hard irresepective of resetting factory defaults for the modes, so they are going to run a check on the diagnostics. The mechanic seemed to think this was the only investigative route... Apart from the problems I love the bike, but may have to change it if annual maintenance costs are in the 1000's.

11. Just had the major 18,000 miles service on my KTM SMT. No problems whatsoever and it cost £280 all in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I can confirm it's not just Mutley's that go wrong. All modern bikes in this class have complicated electrical systems that seem to bamboozle the workshop staff. I jumped ship from my 2012 S Sport at the end of last summer for a BMW S1000XR. It's now into it's 5th week at the dealers with an electrical problem - it drains the battery down to less than 6 volts if left standing for a couple of days. Dealer has been bl**dy hopeless at diagnosing the fault, yesterday after 4 weeks they called me to say they think the problem is a faulty regulator / rectifier. A replacement has to come from Germany so the earliest I'll get it back is next week. Only saving grace is they've been good about giving me a loaner R1200 GS for the whole period.

13. I tried the new KTM 1290S recently which is a direct competitor to the Multi in every way. Unfortunately I wasn't keen. The chassis was superb and it went like stink but it was overloaded with electronics which spoiled it for me. And there's been a smattering of reports of new KTMS with the latest electronics suite having issues with the keyless ignition. Mine packed up on the test ride for five minutes before coming back to life again. I'm sure KTM will sort it out but it turns me off. Very little of this gumph is actually needed.

14. looks great with painted Red wheels. Guess the exhaust has been shortened from the full Termi unit too.

15. so here is what happened... took it into my local Duc service point on Wed. ?They ran diagnostics and nff. Mechanic told me there was nothing else they could do. Oddly the whirring sound came back but the rear sus did not change. Ian Murray was in today and he tried a couple of settings before getting to Enduro mode -SUS CHANGED !! I'm happy now. Whatever was stuck is now working. Dont know if the diags had reset anything but it works. Worst case scenario is if it comes back to haunt me he said it would be a servo replacement and an Ohlins part is a fraction of the costof a Duc one. Advice he gave me is if the sus appears not to change try switching the settings between Sport and Enduro. Hope this helps for anybody having this issue.

16. Had my 2012 Multi ABS (no Skyhook) for a year almost now and absolutely love it. She's only done 8500 miles and I've not had any probs other than trying to get it out down the side of my house because it's so wide and wider than the spec drawings/measurements as I measured my path before I got her, and it's a real squeeze when there should be a bit more clearance... BUT I LOVE IT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. Presumably you are already folding the mirrors in to ease the squeeze a bit ...

18. Not undoing them, then tightening them up no. It does go.. JUST!!!

19. Well my multi still got engine error light up but still running perfect it's booked into hyside Romford for plug in and full service first time had shop do work on my bikes ( let you know how get on contact with them been good so far ) but this wend done to runs to Bedfordshire and back bout 400 miles using baldock a507 and it's still the only bike that makes me smile it's just awesome so there is a reason we buy them , on the other hand had triumph sprint new before this and had problems with that lots and triumph after sales stinks they just try to deny all , dealers and head office as bad that's why I ended up with multi and not the explorer and glad I did sadly nowadays all bikes seem to have faults ,but the more complicated and highly tuned we ask for the more to go wrong

20. Hysides are top notch, you'll have no issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information