1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 The Most Complained About Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Borgo Panigale, Jun 10, 2016.

1. image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. :D

That's funny.

3. #64 Gimlet, May 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've recently purchased a Multi Pikes Peak new, I hope it doesn't let me down. I have just run it in and now can use the power better, fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a lemon :)

5. Just want to add my thoughts to this argument!! Sorry thread
    Bought brand new 1200s Multi, had several problems like the neutral switch fixed under warranty, key would keep failing, new key under warranty, recall to have the fuel tank replaced under warranty
    Every time the bike fails I am offered a loan bike straight away by Ducati Manchester.
    Have has several Jap bikes and had problems with those also,mainly the white plastic bits splitting or falling off
    The Multi is a very nice bike, hopefully all the little silly little gremlins are now done with.
    By the way bike has done 2500 in every kind of weather even snow one morning.
    Glad to see other people are so honest, but every bike is thrown together these days

6. My Brand New Ducati Multi Strada Pikes Peak has covered 750 miles and the receiver or the key itself is malfunctioning intermittently. There is no 'Low Battery' warning on the dash, so I can only presume it is an intermittent key transmitter or bike antenna receiver problem! I have had to start it a few times using the key code, which worked perfectly on all occasions. The Ducati shop have said they will run diagnostics on the bike when it goes in for its late 600 mile service on Friday 19th May. The fault is intermittent and so I just hope they find it! You don't spend £20,000 on a bike for it to embarrass you on the forecourt of a queuing petrol station where loads of folk watch the red faced leather clad guy pushing his brand new Ducati into a safer parking position away from the pumps! All I can say is it serves me right buying a Ducati (The first and last I believe as I have never had a new bike go wrong from any other manufacturer) I shall keep you guys posted on what they tell me has been wrong, and also if I change my mind about Ducati as I love riding the bike, depending on the outcome this Friday. We all have to have faith in our transportation, that is a crucial part of biking to me.

7. Erm... Ive read every post... I dont know what to say... I was thinking of getting a Multi next but i dont really know now...

My local garage i use for servicing and repairs suggested trying out the Superduke GT 1290 i wasnt convince until i test rode one almost 10 days ago at KTM grand opeing day... It wasnt a bad bike to ride, it just made my sports bike feel like bag of sh!te took me ages to get use to it... Ive test ridden the DVT it didnt feel like a Ducati it didnt have that rawness like old duke have...

There pluses n minors for all bikes, i must have spent x3 times (£) over the maintence cost than what i bought the bike 7 years ago, it trouble me to buy a ducati if going have the same amount maintence cost on a Multi or for future duke...

The more time i look at the Duke GT the more want that over the Multi... I did ask the question on the Multi page which multi was better the 10-14 or the DVT... If i dont get Duke GT then i'll just make do with a 13-14 Multi more so a PP for the red frame more than anything...

8. I had a 2010 multi and it was a cracking bike to ride. Yes, I had more than my fair share of problems but really I did too much mileage to own a multi. I'd have been looking at a major service every 13 months and that just wouldn't work.

I'm on my KTM now and haven't once had the feeling that it was going to break down on me. I may have just been unlucky but my multi just fell apart from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. When I looked for a older multi 1000 I read up A LOT in here, I was aware of the pre 2005 bikes issues and was aware the 1100 was far better than the 1000, particularly around the fuel gauge never being accurate on the 1000, the seat, the sidestand etc etc and yet I still bought it. Apart from the fuel gauge issue which saw me stranded twice, the rest of the time the bike rode great, felt great and I was glad I bought it. I must admit though at £2,500 it was worth the gamble.

Seeing how the multi section in here is almost all 1200's and almost all about faults, I doubt I would be prepared to take that much of a gamble with that much money

I'm sure all bikes have issues at some times in their lives but Ducati and the strada in particular seems to be an area that ducati improves on whilst at the same time lets you down on to equal amounts.

I need a bike where I am a stranger to my dealer, I can't say I feel that would happen on the 1200 strada

10. I must admit, I wish I had bought the BMW XR1000 instead of the much more expensive Pikes Peak, only good point is it averages 52 mpg !!!

11. 52! How in the hell? Is your commute to work down a really big hill?

I used to get about 38 on my 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Talking to a guy at work the other day about what to buy. He has a 1200Gs Adventure 2011, really nice well looked after bike but it's had several issues the latest being a drive shaft oil leak which cost £1900 to fix ! He's happy to pay the £27 a month extended warranty which I thought was a fortune.
    I guess that's the way to go with the multi but I'd be very reluctant to buy one without that extra cover ( unless it was really cheap)

13. No, I am running it in, but having said that, I do open the throttle wide to get it up to speed and have over revved the permitted running in speeds ! That's what the dash computer is telling me its doing, I've not sat and worked it out for real, but my jaunts have all got 200 miles plus before the fuel light's come on. It's been very frugal, I have covered 1000 miles (whoops over my running in mileage by 400 mile) and I have filled the tank from fuel light coming on 7 times, but every time there has been 40 to 50 miles range left in the tank (according to the dash PC)

IMG_1055.JPG

14. Have you tried the KTM 1290 AdvS? Direct competitor to the Multi. I still don't understand why some people think KTMs are expensive. The PP Multi is 20 grand. The 1290S is fourteen and a half..
    I wasn't keen on the riding position when I first tried the S but I've since learned the seat position can be changed.
    An upright for me is a practical all-rounder and touring bike. Being a bike magpie I couldn't run to a new 1290S or a mega-bucks Multi for a third bike for holidays so I've just bought a 2015 KTM 1190 Adv. Under 3000 miles, completely mint, one owner for 9 grand. And it does nearly 50 mpg. There's nothing not to like. Goes like stink and its one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden. Servicing costs of a KTM compared to a Ducati are a breath of fresh air.

15. 45mpg tops here, mostly 40.

16. I prefer the looks of the GT, its not just the performance and how miles i can get to tank i can get.. Its gotta look nice as well apart from a vinyl wrapping or custom paint job and the usual mods bikers do... I wouldnt buy brand new, car or bike...

"I still don't understand why some people think KTMs are expensive." Probably snobbery, talking about another manufacture, on another manufacture forum...

I can honestly say ive done 36k plus on my 749u with 46k+ on the clocks 20k in the 3 years on its second engine (first engine is another story), i think am done with ducati for a while, ive done the meets, the major events in England and Scotland, WDW x2 and IoM to just name a few...

Like i said before, if i dont look at another brand, then i'll just make do with a Multi...

17. Had my multi S 2014 for 14 flawless months now. It's been great, but am really fancying the KTM 1290s or 1290T. I'm going to book a demo ride on both. I demoed a 1050 couple of years ago and absolutely loved it and half wishing I'd tried and bought the 1190 too .

Edit: just remembered I had to have the fuel sensor replaced just after I bought it ! But apart from that it's been fine..touchwood

#78 Sprocker, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Read um n weep lol. Must be due to it been new?

IMG_1055.JPG

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information