1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 The Most Complained About Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Borgo Panigale, Jun 10, 2016.

1. But what is it really, not by the dash ;)

Have to go have a look at mine now.....

2. As a tight Yorkshireman it is averaging about 50mpg thus far. Gets service and oil change tomorrow so it might get thrashed a little bit more after tomorrow! It's not been revved into the red as yet! We shall see! I will keep you posted!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Even though the key battery has packed in after 2 weeks, I love the bike and have test ridden the BMW GS but the grunt the Multi has and the way it makes me feel outweighs the minor problem, by the way my mates brand new BMW broke down 3 weeks after he bought it and left him stranded in Scotland, the Multi hasn't broke down as such yet. The problem is looking like the key which they will replace under warranty and that will leave me with a faulty spare lol. And SMC have told me that 2 New KTM's have come back with faulty key fobs too so they are all fallible items.

4. People with problems tend to talk about them more than folk that have nothing to talk about lol, that's why there are loads more moans than credit to the bike o_O Only a theory but it's worth thinking about peeps :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 47.1. Avg 49mph. But I know if I do 140 miles I will need 15-16l so somewhere 40-45 mpg really

6. Mine is a 2014 MY , and had covered 4700 miles when I got it. Think fuel sender on way out after 1000 miles in my ownership so far. Seems to take ages after refuelling for gauge to register anything ( maybe this is normal ? ) . Guess this will be second fuel sender it will get , as see receipt for previous warranty one in sales paperwork. However still love the bike. I'm willing to put up with few niggles. So let's see how it pans out

• Like Like x 1
  7. Interesting to read about these niggles on Multis.
    My 2014S has done 19000 miles and never missed a beat, at all. I have had 6 Ducatis over the past 10 years, and covered some fair mileage on all of them, I have never had a break down, never been stranded or had any issues at all.
    Having said this I owned all these bikes in South Africa. They were used all year round for hooligan morning rides, touring and commuting, but the weather is very different, 300 days a year sunshine, no salted roads and very little rain. Is this perhaps telling us something?

• Like Like x 1
  8. It may also be worth mentioning about servicing.
    All my bikes are looked after like babies, always serviced, oil changed every 3000 miles, never put away dirty and completely protected from the elements.
    Cleaning a bike is a great way to spot the niggles before they start. Some years ago I had Suzuki DL1000 (yep the one that they designed with the ugly stick) I did 110 000 miles on that bike and I really started to see the wear when c!earning it, but always managed to catch the issues before they got too bad.

I also had a GS1200, I traded that couch in on my Multi, and I have never looked back. The Duke comes with smiles per miles factor that the BMW didn't, and I believe if properly maintained is actually a better bike.

9. I am sure there are a lot of people whom are fastidious about servicing , cleaning etc. Don't think you are too different from a lot of people that are passionate about their "toy" or daily transport.
    Sometimes there are inherent weak spots in design , parts and manufacturing that no matter how careful you are will fail.
    Guess you have been lucky in a lot of respects.
    Fuel sender for example , how do you prevent this happening ?

10. I have noticed that my Multi fuel gauge does under read a bit. But I just live with it and fill her up every 200 miles. Other than that she's perfect. The question that begs an answer is when the time comes what do I buy next? Only time and Dennis's diary will tell

11. Good news peeps, the fault on my bike was due to a batch of Lithium batteries supplied to the dealership, the key fobs battery was intermittent and that's why it faltered to pick up the key fob! That is also the reason a few KTM's were returned as well as Ducatis! My faith in the Red Missile is renewed, HOORAH !:)

12. As a classic bike enthusiast having troubles with tanks and carb gumming and corrosion, I think that a lot of fuel related issues are a result of the rubbish Ethanol rich petrol dispensed at our pumps these days. The stuff eats plastics, fibre glass, gaskets and even children! It's a monster in your tank!:imp:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 200 miles?! I'd have been pushing it for the last 20 ;)

14. Mine is a 2010ABS model with 9,000mls of which the last 500 are mine, I'm the second owner and bought it in January. I do read some horror stories, but I hope the worst never happens, it was well serviced by the first owner and I am the same....and agree with others that regular cleaning ...and riding ! means you spot stuff before it happens. My fuel gauge takes a while to register full after filling up, but so what it only takes a minute so no biggie. The bike is AWESOME! I can't believe they didn't outlaw it ....it's fast as xxxx and comfy...I keep overtaking cars in 5th or top and find myself doing a ridiculous speed... handling and braking are great too.
    I think it's a helluva bike and can't wait for a long trip now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. A dodgy fuel gauge shouldn't put anyone off. There's always a trip reset.

Although the first DVT ones lost the trip setting functionality too... lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 200 miles or 320 kilometers on a tank was easy in South Africa. There is no where near as much traffic and the roads are long and straight (most of the time)
    We did a lot of touring around the country on various bikes, and the average consumption on a litre class bike was 21 kilometers to the litre, which is almost 60 miles to the gallon.
    My personal best on the Multi was just on 400 Kay's on a tank, but it was bone dry when I filled it!!!

However, wring it's neck a bit and these figures go right out the window.

I have not really used the bike over here yet, thanks to the DVLA, so I can't comment about British I roads and fuel consumption. But should be on the road next weekend, I can't wait!!!

17. I've never thought the KTM was expensive or the XR BMW infact they are fab value bikes that handle and go like stink! I just bought the Pikes Peak because I am an OHLINS nutter and wanted the uprated suspension and brakes. To be honest though I think the XR would have been a wiser choice in some respects as it's fast as foo and handles like a GSXR1000 around the twistys, but I do love the drone of the twin and with the decat front end fitted sounds beautiful. I don't wear rider audio gear as I like to hear the engine thrumb when it's getting a thrash, and now it run in I see the "PLEASE CHANGE UP" reminder glowing in the screen :). A remakable machine, but exclusivity aside, there isn't much between the KTM,XR and Multi except rider preference. Happy riding whatever your'e riding, and may the summer roll on !!! p.s;I have worked out that its averaging between 50 and 53mpg now it's run in, great for a quick bike!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fair play to you. Whatever hits the spot for you is the right bike. The big adventure class is a tight sector. They're all good bikes in their way and its a great concept.
    Put 1500 odd miles on my 1190 now. About 300 yesterday. Even with the Powerparts seat its not the most comfortable. Really its an 8 hour bike with a two hour seat but that can be fixed, though it didn't stop me enjoying a full day in the saddle yesterday. The screen isn't great either but I've discovered that with a bit of part swapping the vented screen and headlight mask from the 1290 Super Adventure will fit and is a great improvement. So that's a possibility.
    Thing is though, all these details which mattered so much on paper when deciding what to buy, matter less in reality now I've got the bike and the all-round riding experience puts the defects in context. I'm sure that's true of every bike. The things you think will matter aren't necessarily the things which grab you most when you've got to know the bike.

Comfort-wise, if I'd had the money I'd probably have bought a new Triumph 1200 Explorer. Rode one a few times before deciding a new bike was too extravagant and it was far and away the most comfortable adventure bike I've ridden. For me it was even better than the 1200GS. the seat is an absolute sofa but for my 5'11" frame the ergonomics were perfection. Couldn't improve a single thing. Its got an electric screen which is best in class IMO and WP semi-active suspension. It floats along like an XR though the Bemmer's brakes are even better. Handling is superb but it is a heavy old bird at low speed, especially with a full tank, and though the engine is silky smooth its not that charismatic. It feels a bit lethargic off the throttle and doesn't have the punch of the twins though it feels quite meaty at triple figure cruising speeds. Its a proper all day, day-after-day continent crosser.

Ideally I'd have the XR chassis and brakes with the Explorer's comfort, the 1290 KTM's engine and the PP Multi's farkles and looks. But no-one makes one of those so I'm content with what I'v got. Happy riding.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I love and hate mine, just had it remapped at Manchester Ducati today, they told me it had a map sensor fault? no light on the dash?, i told the service manager that i'd only done 900mls on the bike since buying it from a sister company to them! it got fixed there and then even though it was ouy of their warranty, no charge, i just paid for the map.. top service and is now the bike it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Coming up to 20,000 miles on mine (2014), Can't blame the bike for three punctures in the last 3,000 miles, but the guy who changed the tyre (after the last plug started to leak) said he never wanted to see another Ducati in his life. He does bikes, but this took him two hours to do the change (and I had to pay for his time).

Love it madly when it works, but not sure it is worth the aggravation as down on power for last two trips. took it to dealer (not mine) and they wouldn't do anything as too busy, so 2,000 mile trip on max 5k revs. Might as well have done it on a 600. This will be my 3rd butterfly when I get the service done. I've had multiple minor dash faults, including fuel gauge and (maddeningly) gear position indicator, weird oil usage, sidestand bent by ferry company (not Ducatis's fault), front wheel has never run completely true (which only means the front bake is a bit grabby at slow speed, so I can live with it - I have to, as the dealer has never been able to fix it). Hinge fell off the top box (fixed with coat hanger pinched from hotel), the panniers are a complete bugger to replace if taken off, as they don't fit properly and the internal clips break really easily. 15k service cost £1,700 (no VAT here). Sprockets gone at 12k and I need new pads.

Is it just me or does the fly by wire throttle sometime have a response lag? Fairly short lived, but heart in the mouth time.

This is not good on a bike which costs this much. I'm thinking of changing for a Kawasaki GTR. Won't be as much fun, but cost me a lot less and will operate properly and also possibly be worth something when I sell it, which you can't say for the Ducati. Maybe I've got a Friday afternoon bike.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information