1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 The Most Complained About Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Borgo Panigale, Jun 10, 2016.

1. I put about 100,000 hard miles on my Hyper before buying my new 1260 Multi. I've never had a better bike. Sure, the rear wheel ate up the speedometer cable a few times, etc., but nothing ever kept it from running. The handling was superb, power great. My new Multi is awesome, and the mirrors are even functional!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. A Pair?
    His and Hers?

Off to Google... back later.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 2013 bike,20000 miles, had the fuel sensor done on warranty, new heated grips, otherwise a fantastic bike I love it and I trust it to get me to Brno, Spielberg and Silverstone, this year from the north of Scotland. I bought it in a snowstorm march 13 and drove it from Newcastle home to Dingwall in the snowstorm, washed it off then headed to Barcelona on it.
    Anyone heading to Brno this year? im on me lonesome some company would be good

• Like Like x 1
  4. Also what are these people using their Multis for., are they going on long tours or are they just "popping down the shops"? To me they should be used for what they were made which is long distance I find machines are better being used not just puttered about on then parked up for god knows how long. I've done runs from Cannes to Barcelona which took 12 hours straight riding. the machine is properly exercised and in good health.
    just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  5. you need to turn the Aircon down a bit a put your clothes back on!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  6. Big twins take a long time to loosen up as well. So many people never take their bikes past 20,000 miles before they replace them they never get the best out of the engine. If they're ridden properly and well maintained they go better as the miles clock up. All my KTMs have been like that. The SMT had gained 2 bhp over its first dyno run at 7500 miles when it had another at 15,000. 990 KTMs all use oil but mine improved by being ridden hard. The mechanic said it would. If you pussyfoot the bores get glazed and they use more oil.
    My 1190 is definitely charging harder now at 11,000 miles than it did when I bought it at 2800.
    Multistradas and Ducatis in general will be the same. As long as the crank doesn't snap first..:eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. The trouble with forums is most people only start asking questions etc when they have a fault. People don’t write the merits of a bike for no reason. I sold my 2012 Multistrada last year, during that time it never showed a single fault. It was a very good bike and great fun. I actually went back to a GS as in my opinion the GS is a better mile muncher although Mutly was more fun as an every day bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Definitely. Mine is now approaching 20,000 miles and the difference, for the better, is very noticeable.

If only Ducati could install a fuel sensor, and one or two other items, that were more reliable. A friend of mine has had a number of Hondas and he can't remember them requiring anything other than regular maintenance.

However the Multistrada is such a brilliant bike...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh shit what have I done
    Oh and sorry Hi thanks for the add
    Due to pick up a 13,000 2013 on Monday and just found this thread
    Carries 15 month warranty from Superbike factory in Macclesfield and after reading a few pages of this I’m on the verge of cancelling - seriously
    So pissed as this was my dream bike ; I genuinely thought the complainers were all “ my mate had one and it’s shite “ but now I find this thread with real owners
    What seriously would you do - I can pull out and just lose a small deposit
    So pissed off !
    Maybe all the faults have been fixed ?
    All owners advise genuinely sought as can’t afford an 8k problem
    Please advise thanks

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. Go with your gut instinct. I've got a 1st gen multi-enduro & its clocking 21,000k soon. Not planning on selling it for another 3-4years.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sometimes it seems the strada has a lot of problems but then you also have to take into account it's one of Ducati's biggest sellers so pro rata it seems a lot. If you look at most of the moans, certainly the 1200, most are known and so are the fixes.

I've yet to buy a car or bike, new or second hand, that didn't have some model specific quirks.

The biggest problem I've had with my 1000 strada, after the shit shaped tank/airlock/running out of fuel ONCE, is people trying to knock me off the bike as they lack insight into just how beautiful fugly is and they lack the confidence to ride the motorcycling equivalent to a goddess, the damn heathens :D

buy it, ride it, enjoy it. Think of it more as a woman and apply the patience levels appropriately (No wimmin were harmed in this post)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thank you guys very much appreciate you answering

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Go for it.... Brilliant bike.... I've got two .... they are that good....

• Like Like x 3
  14. If anything major was going to go, such as the engine, it would have gone by now and with 15 months warranty you should be covered anyway.

It is a great bike.

15. Think you just might be a tad overreacting. Buy it, use it and enjoy it
    That's what all of the above have done including me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Imagine if the internet had been around with the 996 or 999? Go have a look on a GS forum, it seems the most unreliable bike in the world, yet people ride them around the world and a 12yr old bike seems worth now with 35k miles what it was 5 years ago with 10k miles.

Chances are, recalls have been done by now. And, I hate to say it, you are buying a Ducati. It won’t be a Honda (although they have issues other than blandness too) nor a Suzuki (that have trouble running in the rain) or Kawasaki (that love gearboxes) or Yamaha (that have cheapest components known to man). It comes with some stuff, one being higher than average expectations. Which, if not met, people scream about on te internet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. If you avoid buying the Multistrada because of perceived reliability problems, you'll be making a mistake.
    Note the expensive 15k service is coming up - get it into the deal?
    Nearly 30k on mine and NEVER let me down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I've had two multistrada's a 2011 Pikes Peak which was replaced by a 2016 enduro. I've had some niggles including four fuel sensors on the enduro, but nothing that has stopped the bike running. The fuel sensor issue has been across a range of bikes and not limited to Ducati, and the two GS's I had before the multistrada were not without fault (one broken down in France) As such I would say that the multi has been as reliable as the GS, not perfect, but never a major issue either.

• Like Like x 1
  19. In the old days, we used to have to rely on mates putting us off cars and bikes, now with the internet, complete strangers can do it too. Isn't technology grand :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Glad I found this thread as I was / am / might be falling out with my Enduro! Had it for 12 months and its just back from its 5th visit to the dealer!
    Oil leak (standard on Ducati), shock recall, fuel sender (that still gives mental readings), gear selector switch faulty, and other stuff including dealer taking massive gouge out of rear wheel when they fitted new rear tyre????....don't ask?
    Whenever a parts been needed....always on back order too?

I really want to love it and when you are in sports mode on a dry day....its epic BUT I'm just a bit hacked off with the whole 'ducati experience'

Not sure where to go now but finding myself looking at the KTM Superduke GT page too much??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information