1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada 1200s Leaning Angle On Side Stand

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Stavrich, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Question

I think my Multi is leaning to much on the side stand. Sometimes if parked on a sloping side its very difficult to straighten up especially if you can only reach the ground by your toes. ( I know some of you will say "don't park it like that" - well, I do my best but sometimes there is no choice :grinning: ).

I wonder whether there is something wrong with mine.
    I will appreciate if you could compare yours with mine and let me know...

[​IMG]

2. I might do an image of my eight year old f800gs, done so much touring on that thing it has got a proper scary lean on. Take the bike off the side-stand then wiggle the side-stand, if you have play in the angle of the dangle. Then yes but frankly it looks fine! Maybe add a large side-stand camel toe jobbie is all I'd do.

• Agree Agree x 1

3. My DVT leans between 17 and 18 degrees since new - i measured it.

4. Stavrich, going by that picture of yours, that side stand is knackered. The bikes lying on the floor on top of a step ladder :)
    How old is your bike and as in a previous thread has the bolt in the side stand worn. And if it's a DVT has it had the side stand recall done ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. @broke , @GunZenBomZ - I thought best to make a short video. As you can see from the video this is the only movement I get. Is this normal or does this mean the bolt is gone or the actual leg "fork" somehow stretched.

Bike is 2013, not DVT, 21000m.

see video a couple of posts below

#5 Stavrich, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. Select the Media icon at the top of this (pre) post, 16 icons along.

7. I tried that - get the message "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media"

8. @broke , @GunZenBomZ - I opened an account with Dailymotion.com and uploaded the video there and hopefully the Dailymotion url will work.

9. That side stand needs some bushes (washers) inserting to stop that play. You could also lower the suspension front and back to bring it more upright when on the side stand.

10. That does look like to much play to me.
    Without taking it apart Stavrich to see what is worn, it's difficult to say what the problem is. But to me it looks like the bolt may be worn. There is an old thread on here about that problem.

11. If I remember, the bolt wasn't the best quality and a member on here replaced it (built a better one himself) at some point...no one has yet just bought another one and replaced with another ducati one...

Thanks for interesting demo that you have determined too much play, I am gonna check my bike tonight also as older and more miles than yours.

12. #12 Stavrich, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

13. I bougth the bolt - for my DVT - but its different as the bolt was for the older bike

I think it was £10 from someone on here - I will check in Garage Friday when get home from Italy and confirm dimensions - so when you have yours off tomorrow - measure thread diameter, shoulder diameter and length

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Side stand removed - see photos.
    I noticed the side stand slot seemed slightly bend - it measured 9.2mm at the end and 8.7mm at the inside (bottom). It was easy to straighten which could mean it will be easy to open up again :angry:.

The bolt looks slightly worn down on the shaft but I think the play of the stand against the base could be the reason of the bolt snapping, IMHO. To be honest I expected to see something chunkier...

It will be interesting to know if you have the same movement on your stand.

@Simon Audi - pls let me know if your bolt is the same size as mine - I will buy it off you if you dont need it (I think is the one specially made here, much stronger, by a member ).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to fitting everything back...:smiley:

#15 Stavrich, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  15. Great video, yep take it off & hit it!!!!!1

16. Stavrich, your side stand hasn't bent slightly where the paint has lifted near the weld has it ?

17. @broke - good point .. I will double check it but it looked ok when it was out :worried:. Unfortunately is back on the bike now nicely greased and properly threadlocked - medium strength (but still red) ... :)

18. Update.
    Bolt replaced (thanks to @Simon Audi ). Stand seems to be straight and not damaged. The play as seen at the video was reduced after closing down the fork but it came back after using it for a few days.

A workshop close by are happy to extend the leg for me - cut, insert a pipe for strength and weld it back. The question now is how much to extend it for - 2 cm?, 3 cm?.....

Anybody done it already?

19. Suggest you sit on it - hold it upright and see if you can close stand.

Then tape a piece of wood 1cm thick to the foot and try again.

You may find the stand can't close.

You will need to do it a few times to determine the optimum thickness for holding bike up and being able to close it.

This is how I did it on my FZ1

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information