1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1260 Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Cloudypops, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Hi,

Got a 1260, always ride alone never 2 up. Getting new tyres soon. I know Pirelli as an alternative recommend Angel GT d,s, I expect, as a good touring tyre due to 2 up and luggage etc but was wondering if anyone on here either use the normal GT,s or even the older ST,s which I understand they still produce?

I had ST,s on an 11 plate ZZR and loved them but don't know if they would be good for the Multi. Just don't like Scorpions and want a change.

2. Metzeler Roadtec 01. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thread moved and title changed to suit

4. what andy said.

5. Michelin Road 5 - are the best IMO in the dry and in the wet.
    Roadtec 01 are as good in the dry but the Road 5 is better in the wet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Metzeler Z8. Proper road tyre for all conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Z8 , tried them all, and this so far is the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Got the new Angel GT 2,s. Local place were doing an introductory offer of buy rear and get front free, so ride in ride out £209.99.

I'll let you know how they do.

9. I just purchased a set of the older Angel GT's. Rosso 3's were my second choice. I need a tire good on the dry as i dont ride deliberately in the rain. Aparently, the Road5 rub the chain on the 1260. If i needed a wet tire, i'd choose the GT2 or the Metz 01 for the 1260.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just had another Road 5 fitted to the rear on my 1260 (26.1K miles on the clock), the last front did 5.4K miles and the Rear 4.9K miles and I just checked the clearance of the rear tyre to the chain and there is an 8mm clearance on the top and bottom chain runs to the edge of the rear tyre. I don't understand how a correctly adjusted chain could rub the tyre on a single sided swing arm?

11. @Veetwin. About the tire rubbing the chain: The issue is prevalently mentioned on this forum and others. However, it's all anecdotal consequently we should take it with a grain of salt. The Road 5 is a great tire especially in the wet, but I personally would not take a chance mounting them on the 1260 until this issue is officially cleared by Michelin. YMMV.
    Notwithstanding, It's an irrelevant issue for me as other tires have more suitable characteristics for my style of riding.

#11 DarR, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  12. The touch of the chain on the Road5 is only that, light contact. Chain grease marks the very point of the edge of the profile (widest part). This is with a correctly tensioned chain. Whist serious chewing of the tyre would have me concerned, with what I've experienced frankly I'm not. Happily fitted a second set to my 1260.

13. Z8. Proper road tyre for all conditions.

14. Hey!
    I have a problem :) since i tried them, I cant go off Conti Road Attack 3. I have them now three pairs.. two on my kawa sx and last year, first pair on multi 1260s.

Can anyone suggests me new tire comparing to Conti RA3? Im looking sport touring tire, that can handle full load with pasenger, good in rainy condition, great in dry with good milage
    Would be Metzeler z8 or Michelin somthing as good as they sound?

P.s. NO DUNLOP (disaponted twice, and no more for me) and yes I tried Angel GT but little disapointed in low middle profile with loosing rear grip in corners when whorn out.

Cheers ✌️

15. @mladench
    More sport than touring:
    Rosso III's or M7RR ?

Here's a review:
    https://www.motorcyclesecure.com/motorcycle-tires/

8) Best Ultra High Performance Road Tire – Pirelli Diablo Rosso III

You read that correctly – Rosso III. Not Rosso II but III. Yes, they’re finally here.
    This is the tire which they’ve been developing in conjunction with the World Superbike Championship (WSBK).

The Rosso III differs from the SuperCorsa in that it has been designed as a road biased tire rather than an out and out track tire. That means it’s going to perform well in wet weather and cooler conditions. It’s also going to last far longer.

The tire is referred to as a 100% silica compound with varying levels of grip featured throughout the profile of the tire. The point here is that the corners or edges of the tire are much softer and grippier than the middle which is exactly what you want. When you’re knee down in those twisties and country roads, these tires are going to come through for you.

The split rubber compound gives you a great compromise between traction and mileage where you need them most. In effect, you have a medium grip tire in a straight line and regular cornering, but when you’re scraping pegs, you have the traction of a racing slick.

This tire goes head to head with the Metzeler M7RR. We’ve essentially thrown these in as a curve ball but the choice is yours.

#15 DarR, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. @DarR thank you!

Ill be watching Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 an Metzeller M9RR... But milage worrys me abit.
    Ill have to settle my price/performance/milage wishes :)

17. About tires and mileage (kms)
    With one exception it doesn't seem to matter what I ride-on as the rear only lasts 5~7k kms. That exception was even worse: OEM Diablo Supercorsa on the Monster 1200 which melted after 3000 kms.
    Notwithstanding, the torque and how you manage the throttle makes a difference. Those same Supercorsas lasted 7k on the 959 Panigale and I had two pairs of those. The OEM Rosso Corsas on the Pani lasted just about the same at 7k. Yes I'm smoother on the Panigale whereas I might as well replace the throttle for an On/Off switch on the Monster. I've mounted Rosso III's on the Monster where I have about 6k on them right now. They should be good for another 1K. Not bad considering that I have not changed my throttle habit. That's why I'm starting to like these.
    Surprisingly, on the 1260 Multistrada, the OEM Scorpions are just about done at 8k. It's a mileage improvement but I expected a lot more and hate those tires for cornering. Now, trying Angel GT's but don't have high hopes about lasting more than a Canadian sport riding season (7k kms). All and all, Rosso III's have been the best compromise so far. If those Angels don't last 14k, I'm going to mount Rosso III on the Multi going forward and try Rosso Corsa II on the Monster.

#17 DarR, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Thank you. Ill give it a shoot ✌️

19. I used to swear by Pirellis, as I felt that the rounder profile (relative to the more triangular section of the Michelin's at the time) suited Ducatis better, with a lovely, progressive turn-in. Then I moved back to Scotland, and went through a rear Rosso II in 1100 miles. I also found the Diablos to be slow to warm up in typical Scottish conditions. Having burned through the OEM scorpions in short order, I've now been on various generations of Pilot Road - now PR5. They're the best rain and all round tyre I've used. In the warm and dry (both days in the year) I'd have to give the nod to the Diablos, but by a gnat's whisker. The PR5s do surprisingly well on track, too.

20. From my experience rosso (2) stickier when dry and warm, Michelin road 5 and power RS good grip in wet. For me both better than Bridgestones/Conti. I had Metzler can't remember wasn't inspiring in wet

Do Not Sell My Personal Information