1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Multistrada 1260s Poor Quality?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pirsig, Dec 2, 2019.

1. So if it’s proven to be dye from your trousers will you be moaning to the manufacturer of the apparel? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Friend of mine got a new pikes peak and noticed his engine casing also going the same way as yours Pirsig, he cut out some ventureshield to protect the areas and that’s done the trick

3. I had no issues whatsoever with my Multi 1260 during it's first 8000+ Kms.
    The only thing I concerned with right now are the front rotors. I'm keeping an eye on them as I had to change those same rotors under warranty on my Monster 1200R.

4. DarR come on, fit in with the rest of us, they are called brake discs:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I'm glad you cleared that up duc996bp, coz I was just about to ask the same question: "rotors"? :grinning:

6. I would be surprised if there was not some sort of base coat?

7. There's definitely a base coat (fairly certain its black!) as I've just been out enjoying the bike in the winter sunshine, wearing different trousers to my normal ones - a pair that is light gray just to be certain - and the top patch is now noticeable larger than when I took the picture for the forum this morning.

The bike is running great, but at this rate the areas in contact with my right leg are going to be completely devoid of silver paint in about another 200 miles!

This must be a valid warranty claim issue.

Cheers Knightrider, looks like I'm not going mad or have weird metal staining trousers! I'll perhaps try some ventureshield on the new cover, assuming Ducati replace it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Been following the comments re. engine casings with interest, pictures below are of my 2.5 year old 1200S DVT at 33k miles and my 18 month old 1260S at about 20k. The 1200 has certainly stood the test of time/mileage better than the 1260, in fact 1260 was in about the same condition as in the photo by about 6k miles. I've ridden both wearing the same boots and selection of trousers, so I can only assume that the quality of the 1260 casing is not as good as the earlier model.
    Re. Front discs, both my 1200 and 1260 had them replaced twice under warranty, bizarrely the 3rd set on each bike have lasted longer than the previous 2 sets!!

20191203_203502_resized.jpg 20191203_204639_resized.jpg

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. Kartman that's exactly the way my casing is going and going fast. Have you tried to claim under the warranty for a new cover? If so, what was the response?

Judging by your photos something has definitely gone adrift with the quality of the paint finish on the 1260. Trousers/boots shouldn't fetch the paint off engine casings.

Cheers,

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mine similar - August '18 Pikes Peak, (I've mislaid the photo).
    The clutch cover was replaced at my request under warranty at the first annual service.
    (I have a five year old Hypermotard SP with gloss black finish on the cover - no issues).

11. I'm having the same coating issues on the 1260 (had none on the 1200). I got the front fairing pieces replaced under warranty for bad paint, and I have paint rubbing off the clutch cover and the water neck. I'll probably replace them or have them powder coated, why warranty them to have it happen again?

It amuses me that some people are like "the fit and finish is great except for the coating coming off the engine". That means the fit and finish is NOT great.

It was great on my 2011 Multi, so something changed. Did accountants make them try to save money? Did environmental regulations disallow good paint? I have no idea.

• Like Like x 2
  12. More than likely they ran a spreadsheet assessment against a 1 Euro saving on each unit with shoddy paint against how many owners would bother to claim against the warranty and their calculators came up with a smiley face.

I fully agree that reviews stating that this bike has "excellent fit and finish" are just nonsense, it's not even poor, it's absolutely terrible on a bike marque that is marketed and subsequently priced at the premium end.

Rides beautifully, but it's built like dross. Fabrics harder than engine component paint finishes, just astounding.

Annoying to have to pay more money on a new bike to powder coat a substandard part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Have you got a link for the stick on frame protector, to the left in the picture, mine is rubbing there as well.
    Cheers Bobmg

14. R&G do a clutch cover as well, might be a better solution (long term) than a warranty claim.

15. Does anyone else do similar stickers? They are a good idea but I hate the big R&G logo

16. Worth checking, but in the advert it suggests that they now come with a 25mm round R&G sticker, so the protective cover might not be logo'd. Im sure someone on here will know for certain.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Has anyone been knocked back for trying to claim this on the cover ?

18. Mine is still in warranty, just had the full stator cover replaced about three months ago, that was due to corrosion, I will wait to see if anyone is successful with a claim, they could put it down to wear and tear, Martin from Ducati Glasgow is on here, so may be able to shed some light on to whether a claim would be successful

Do Not Sell My Personal Information