1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Multistrada 1260s Poor Quality?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pirsig, Dec 2, 2019.

1. I did mention this to my dealer at the same time as the left side casing was replaced due to corrosion beneath the plastic water pump cover, admittedly I was a bit tardy at bringing this to their attention and he suggested that due to the "high" mileage they were unlikely to replace under warranty. However I'm more likely, having read this thread, to push this further now!

#41 kartman, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. Yes R & G, as per Steelboss's link.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Do you ride in Navy Flares ????

4. Just to update, Ducati are replacing the cover under warranty...

Need to figure out the best way of stopping the new one going the same way.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Can I ask which dealer please and where??

6. Alternatively....... The replacement will have its own warranty, if it goes again they can put a new one on each annual service. This really should be their problem and not yours, especially if it happens again.

7. I sure hope that was a Friday afternoon paint job and not a production wide snafu.

8. P&H is the dealer.

Fairly sure from the responses on this thread that this may well be present on lots of 1260 Multi's. My paint came off so quickly (4 wks!) and in the same manner pictured and mention by others on here, seems unlikely to be isolated coincidental events!

I would hope the new part will have its own warranty, but Ducati have suggested that if it happens again it may be down to "owner error", i.e. I'm riding the thing!

9. DC06B0F8-C086-4238-846C-D54936A56C1B.png
    Anti rub boots along with Cotton wool trousers now on order.!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maybe 2-3 layers of clear anti-scratch lacquer? Acrylic 2k for example.
    Even this will have marks over time...but not a big deal to apply a fresh layer every 2 years.

11. A good liberal coating of Hammerite enamel paint from the offset will certainly help with the jelly like coating Ducati use:p

12. Couldn you take it to a vinyl wrapper and get them to install a protective film?

13. Issue is, you shouldn’t have to be sorting out a sub standard finish on a brand new bike that is designed to be ridden OUTSIDE:eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. What I've found most odd, despite the dealer being accommodating on the warranty work, is their "Oh your previous bikes (of other manufacture) didn't completely break down in the first two weeks and then have the paint coming off in the first 4 weeks of ownership? That seems very unusual" attitude!

Err no, none of any of my other vehicles (cars/bikes or otherwise) have ever done this! Guess it must be a charming quirk of Ducati ownership I've yet to become fully comfortable with. Lucky they are so cheap!

#55 Pirsig, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Martin has left Glasgow Ducati

16. Not on a milti now butI had a panel replaced on my old pikes peak for a similar issue with paint finish. Now on a Super Sport which is now 2yrs old...I just got it detailed & ceramic coated by a good (accredited) friend...he commented on the paint finish saying tank was quite good & thick...has a device to measure paint thickness but how poor it was on fairings which being plastic can’t be messured...had lots of “paint transfer” whilst doing them & had to take extra care doing them. But turned out good.

B9095B44-D67C-4F77-815B-0D56DCECADFA.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Doesn't Martin own Ducati Glasgow?!

18. Just to add, my new 1260 has the same thing going on with the clutch cover.

Apart from an issue with the right hand side switchgear (which I see on MTS1200's may be the cause of the bike cutting out), quality hasn't seemed too bad (touch wood). But "not bad" is not really good enough for a bike of this price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. That’s what I thought

Do Not Sell My Personal Information