1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Multistrada 1260s - Stock Chain Is A Rust Magnet?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DucatiPhil, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Every Ducati I've owned I've had that issue. Only way around it is to replace the chain.

2. Thanks

3. Can i ask i have a 1260s 7200 miles bought used
    1 best chain make links
    2 when to replace chain i heard stories of oem chain snapping & doing untold damage
    3 best rear sprocket 42 teeth
    4 best front sprocket

4. Simple answer to best chain and sprout kit is from Afam. Last at least double best DID zxm kit.

5. No an Afam will not last double a DID

6. It does for me and quite a few others,

7. Just fitted a DID zvmx gold, good quality and looks good, had no problems with DID in the past

8. me neither, that lasted me about 12000 miles.

9. I have DID 530ZVM-X with 13,000 kms (8,000 miles) and I have yet to adjust the eccentric. The chain tension is still within specs.
    Premature wear is a sign of infrequent cleaning. Nothing damages a chain more than road grime.
    Lubing is for corrosion and o-ring protection and does nothing to remove abrasive grit. Cleaning is for longevity.
    A well-maintained quality chain will go at least 25,000 miles (40,000 kms).

#29 DarR, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. yes I clean my chain with paraffin, small paint brush and lint free Egyptian cotton. You probably don’t get the same dirt as here, especially road salt which is a killer.

11. Hi Michel,
    We have plenty of dirt and salt here in Ontario as well. In fact:
    https://www.compassminerals.com/who-we-are/locations/goderich-ontario/

More to the topic:
    How often on average do you clean your chain?
    Can you PM me a photo with a good view of your chain and rear sprocket if you don't mind.

#31 DarR, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  12. In summer autumn I would say clean chain every 2500 miles, but more often if too much paste forms with the lube and road dirt etc, so 2 or 3 times a year. Otherwise do wipe the chain clean with a rag sprayed with a bit of WD40 and get the paste of the sprockets. You can see the dirt on some photos before cleaning. After a days wet riding.

0D1A8D22-E2DA-4D78-A668-CB5041C87F4F.jpeg

FA5AB1CE-F933-4111-9228-A75236BFA1B7.jpeg

DD9D5B29-9E8F-4AD0-BD82-97FDCCF98778.jpeg

13F9FD08-FB7E-4F7E-908B-30CFB89BE5C0.jpeg

D5C6E083-CCE3-4E54-A988-61E666CDF78E.jpeg

13. Fitted a scottoiler early days on 2018 monster1200, the chain is still clean and little signs of wear.
    5000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Those sprockets are shot, do t fit a new chain without changing both of them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. I clean down my chain with a little paraffin after every other 100-200 mile ride, then just lube it with gear oil on a rag. I don’t like to use the chain grease/wax as that just holds the grime IMO making a cutting paste.

I may invest in a Scottoiler though then I just have to clean.

16. It could be worse!

iu.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. New C&S on way, rear Afam sprocket arrived a couple of hours ago.

I’m not convinced about scott oilers, I’m sure they do a fine job, but personally I prefer to look at the chain while lubing every 250 miles or so, ie one ir two rides.

TBH pre ride check includes chain etc, so I look at it a lot.

18. There was a Scottoiler fitted to a Fireblade I owned, it didn’t stop me also cleaning the chain on a regular basis just meant it got oiled without too much of my input.

19. The teeth are starting to show signs of wear (hooking) on the drive face.
    This will wear out a new chain quickly.
    I Have designed and fitted chain drives on equipment far bigger than motorcycle final drives.
    40 years plus in mechanical engineering, probably qualifies me to see that those sprockets are worn.
    Just place a new sprocket along side and you will see the wear clearly, especially the front one.

20. hi Michelle. Did you get it from Carpimoto?

I'm trying to find 15/42 and 116 link chain for my mates 1260. Struggling with the rear sprocket.

Cheers in advance.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information