1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada 2010s Broken

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Tonic101, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I bought a 2010 1200s Multistrada s from ebay at the end of April this year.

24k on the clock but looked and sounded in really good condition, so I took a punt - a 6.5k punt.

at 24.5 k and 2 months later the engine suffered a catastrophic failure. I have been told by the mechanics (Ducati strood) that it needs an entire replacement engine!

I have also been told that as it is beyond repair the engine it needs must be a whole "like for like engine" and that only 2010-2012 engines will fit.

They also advised me that my 2 options were:

A) strip the bike down as sell for parts. (the rest of the bike is in mint condition)
    B) hunt around for a recon engine.

I guess apart from venting from my loss....I'm wondering if anyone has any additional advice on experience to share on how I might offset my loss.

As you can imagine I'm gutted, but it is what it is, so I'm now just looking for the best way to minimise my loss.

Caveat Emptor.

Any and all advise appreciated!

T

2. I bought a 2010 1200s Multistrada s from ebay at the end of April this year.

24k on the clock but looked and sounded in really good condition, so I took a punt - a 6.5k punt.

at 24.5 k and 2 months later the engine suffered a catastrophic failure. I have been told by the mechanics (Ducati strood) that it needs an entire replacement engine!

I have also been told that as it is beyond repair the engine it needs must be a whole "like for like engine" and that only 2010-2012 engines will fit.

They also advised me that my 2 options were:

A) strip the bike down as sell for parts. (the rest of the bike is in mint condition)
    B) hunt around for a recon engine.

I guess apart from venting from my loss....I'm wondering if anyone has any additional advice on experience to share on how I might offset my loss.

As you can imagine I'm gutted, but it is what it is, so I'm now just looking for the best way to minimise my loss.

Caveat Emptor.

Any and all advise appreciated!

T

3. Did you pay cash or finance?

From a dealer?

If finance from a dealer - try rejecting under sale of goods - JH should be able to help he had a similar experience..

4. Engines to appear from time to time. Where in the country are you?
    http://louigimoto.com/ may be able to do a rebuild to a super spec!!

• Agree Agree x 2

5. Unfortunately it was a private purchase "sold as seen" for cash.....

6. Thanks for the reply - I'll definately give them a call. However I fear that there is so much engine damage that all the majot parts need replacing, hence the advice to look out for an entire recon engine. A second opinion won't hurt though, so many thx again!

7. Cheers - I did have a look at ebay link you posted. The garage I'm using (ducati strood) have charge me close to £500 to strip the engine down just to look at it and verify the damage. I'm worried that since this engine hasn't been looked at, I wouukd have to pay to have it stripped down with then no guarantee that most of the parts are any better than mine. At least that is my understanding - please correct me if i'm wrong...

8. He can be tested and trusted once you pay for his services.With his service,you can spy on cheating partners and get real evidence of whatever you require. His services are quite affordable,don’t hesitate to contact him
    you will get his contact on my profile or email him @ [email protected]
    good luck

bertha
    This message by bertha has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 6
  9. Sorry to hear this. I know how sickening it can feel.

Have you asked Ducati Strood what they actually believe it is (bearings etc?). I got an independent garage to strip it, as I frankly didn't trust the dealer who'd done the previous engine work. I'll dig out the cost for engine removal and analysis as that will give you an idea of what a private garage would charge.

Only then can you truly work out the best course of action. Unfortunately, with no finance company to cover the cost, this is going to cost you to strip it.

10. Just checked. Who in Strood are you dealing with? If it's Ducati Pro Team, they did mine & charged me £375 to strip the engine and assess. They did charge £75 on top for collection though. The guy was very good. He stripped it down and then had me and the independent vehicle assessor down to review what had happened (snapped crank and shot bearings although they couldn't tell exactly which came first; they did say that even with the poor bearings, the crank should have never snapped so they declared both as faulty from manufacturer). If it is him, and he's saying it needs a new engine, he'll be right. This isn't the first multi he's dealt with.

11. Hopefully they'll be a written off bike around to extract the engine from if you keep looking.

As another 2010 owner (from new) I feel for you as mine is running better than even (fingers crossed). Any idea what caused the failure and was the service record all good?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. @El Toro SPAM

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Already taken care of.

14. Thanks for both your replies - useful info. Actually, the bike is with Ducati Pro Team Strood, and they mentioned that they had a Multistrada with the same problem a while ago, so I'm guessing it was yours as they mentioned the owner was fortunate enough to have a finance company involved. Lesson learned from my perspective.

I paid pretty much the same as you have quoted, just over 400 quid for the strip down. I'm waiting for a list of broken engine parts from them and also the bike to be returned. I'm not paying for them to but it back together broken so have been told it will return in boxed.

I've decided to sit on it as is for a while and keep a look out for used / recon engines. It's a little restrictive as I understand only engines from 3 year models will fit. But I'll keep a lok out.

Thanks again for your info.

T

15. Merge? Have I missed something?

16. Thank you. Still waiting for the full report and list of engine damage. What I understand though is that something must have broken inside the engine and caused high powered damage to other moving parts.

17. I saw something online here that may help your search. Twin Spark engines do fit, with very little modification according to this thread.

Did your crank snap too then or was yours just bearings?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information