1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada Enduro Rear Wheel Inner Spacer Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by CombatFred, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hi Guys,

I had a rear wheel bearing fail/collapse on my 2016 Multistrada Enduro.
    The rear wheel was locked solid and the workshop struggled to free the axle.
    There was a bit of damage to the end of the inner spacer. They've cleaned the spacer up and deburred it, but think they've taken 3 to 5mm off the length.
    The workshop say it's fine to ride with the slightly shorter spacer and they'll fit a new spacer once the part arrives.
    What's you're thoughts on it being safe to ride as it stands?

Thanks

Fred

2. New part is ordered.
    It's more a question of if it's safe to ride as is until the part arrives and is fitted?
    I'm meant to be leaving tomorrow for a few days away on the bike.

3. I swapped mine out for new ones after a number of cleaning/dremel grinding sessions. It's how fast you ride if a failure takes place that would be the issue. I ride fastish'

4. Fit a new one ASAP. With a shorter spacer tightening the rear axe nuts will put a lateral load on the bearings which could cause them to fail rapidly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Agree with Derek there ..... shortening the spacer is a no-no. .....I wouldn't ride it .... I can't see how you can pre load the bearings correctly with the inner spacer shorter. I wonder what the new bearings are like now ....

I'm surprised a technician would ok this .....unless there's been a misunderstanding ....and he's not altered the length ....but maybe removed a burr .....whilst leaving the length as it was .......

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information