1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Multistrada Special Build

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by buzzer, Sep 30, 2018.

1. I have confidence in you that you will create something wonderful Buzzer. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do.
    Great choice of bike to do one of your specials.

2. Thanks, Plenty of time to decide... I did have an ST4 before, but while I liked it, I didn't love it... and sold it after a couple of months. I just didn't get on with the riding position... I quite fancy doing something a bit more radical this time...

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Been out and had a good run of around 50 miles today, took a few pictures... The bike runs REALLY well, nice and smooth pick up, and revs to the red line cleanly, I am pleased with the result. I would say its down on power over the injected bike, but not much, and its enough for me!

A couple of things I need to change... the mirrors are crap in that position, and also the throttle is too slow, I need a faster action, and will be on the lookout for one next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Looking good
    Venhills do a good QA throttle with a selection of different cam profiles

5. Something I just noticed. The seat unit is held to the frame with rose joints/rod end bearings rods.

I wonder if you had considered using the 1000/1100 height adjuster tie rod but as a pair, for the seat frame lower rods so you could then adjust the seat height depending on the rider or use?

6. yes, just looking at them on Ebay! did the key arrive?

7. :upyeah: Yep

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well the miles are increasing! Its running really well and I have done quite a few trips out with it, and I am enjoying the ride. Slight mishap... forgot I had left the tap on reserve and ran out of fuel!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. That's seriously impressive, I always thought those early Multistradas were pig ugly but you have created a real beauty.
    Amazing.

10. Thanks Mike. I have to say i am enjoying the bike... there have been a few teething problems, main one being the carbs leaking due to some debris in the tank. It was getting through a poor filter on the reserve feed. I have changed this now and it seems OK now.

Not long before the new build starts...

11. Cool, looking forward to that

12. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the equisite petrol tank that you are going to be fabricating from Aluminum lol.

13. Thought I would update as although the bike went well enough, it missed that sharpness of the original bike… I thought it may have been the carb conversion, but it didn't feel like it...

so I checked the timing with a timing disk and a strobe, and guess what, the values in the matrix in the software didn’t correspond with what was actually happening on the engine! the bike was actually retarded throughout the rev range. I think this has something to do with the way the software is configured, I have emailed the manufacturer to see what they say. As a work around I set about changing the values so I had correct advance using a timing disc and a strobe. its now running MUCH MUCH better, and feels far more crisp! here are the before and after maps. although the second map says its getting 42 degrees advance, in reality its 34. It also ticks over much better... at the moment the TPS option is off... I will wait to see what Ignitech say before I do much more

below is a link to a 1 min video...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. all beyond me, seriously impressed though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I have often thought I may be able to take on a project like this, what bikes do you think would be suitable donors.
    The original multistrada looked about right to me, and still good value?

16. Would a 900ss be any better as a donor rather than a 1000 ds multistrada?

17. Mike, depends what you want to do with it. I have a carb 900, a 900ie and an 1100 Multi and they are all quite different.

18. I have always admired a creative cafe racer, minimal and original.
    I've been looking at pintrest there's thousands of them, I thought i may give one a go.

19. Just to finish this off, and potentially help anyone else who decides to use a 1000 DS engine on carbs.... here is the final settings. with this it runs an absolute treat! Liam Venter pointed me in the right direction, it was the tooth count on the cam wheel that was the issue. I now have rock steady tickover, and steady advance that matches what is actually happening and what the software says!

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information