1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Multistrada Starts But Won't Rev Up?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by buzzer, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hi guys, I am just in the middle of a rebuild on a 2003 DS. the bike is all back together and I have just started it. it starts OK, sounds fine mechanically, but it just wont rev. If I twist the throttle, it cuts out... backfires a bit and the engine management light flashes on.

I have changed the throttle potentiometer and the stepper motor as I had some spares. still the same.

Any ideas?

2. Sounds like the ECU is not seeing the throttle open. As you changed the TPS, have you reset it? If so, use diag software to take a look at throttle info as you open and close the throttle

3. 78125598-5CF7-4CCB-B8FD-67A316DFDEE9.jpeg 78125598-5CF7-4CCB-B8FD-67A316DFDEE9.jpeg Thanks for the reply Nelly. This is all new to me, and a steep learning curve. Doing a bit of reading it looks like i need some software and some cables? If this is the case can you give me a link to where to get the softwware from and the cables on Ebay?
    Its a 2003 bike and the ECU looks like this.

AB35C9F1-32DD-4BB0-B3BA-63237BEABBF3.jpeg

4. @chrisw can help you with that more than I. I'm fortunate enough to have access to the factory diags.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You need JPdiag downloadable from here and you will need this kit of cables. That should allow you to do a TPS reset among other things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Thanks Derek.

do you know if it works on Windows 10? i cant see any reference to it on the site.

#6 buzzer, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. thanks for your help so far guys... I have now reset the TPS with the software.. but it still wont rev up. it starts easily, revs to 3000 RMO and sits there... soon as I open the throttle it backfires and cuts out. I notice the engine warning light flashes on as well.

any other suggestions?

8. Is the JPdiag showing any DTC errors?

9. JPdiag should show real time values of the TPS and also all the sensors. Can you see these? Do they all seem normal?

10. Thanks guys. I re looked at the wiring diagram this morning and realised I had not earthed the ECU... and had rubber mounted it in its new location. I popped a lead on it to earth it and it runs a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Thanks guys. I re looked at the wiring diagram this morning and realised I had not earthed the ECU... and had rubber mounted it in its new location. I popped a lead on it to earth it and it runs a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information