1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Multistrada Tyre Experiment

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DarR, Oct 5, 2019.

1. I had road 5's on for 5500 miles. Bike started to do its silly dance so had the rear changed for same. It had plenty of tread left but was squared off. Rode bike & it was not much better. The front even though tons of tread left, had gone weird as in the centre was flattened off & the sides looked very mis shaped. Anyway new front & all's good again. As said by someone above & my daughter from bike tyres Leeds, Michelin said these road 5's were going to be high mileage tyres. Not so it seems. Speaking to my daughter the other night & she was saying the 01's are getting brilliant reviews for good grip.

2. Picture to show front road 5 at 5500 miles at side of a new one.

20190920_143210.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mine wears like that too. Big improvement over the 4's, which scalloped.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow, never seen a squared off front Road 5 like that, rear yes but not the front. Have you been doing a lot of stoppies?
    IME Road 5's don't last any longer than the PR4's but when near end of life they still grip really well (normally!) when with the PR4's as they got EOL they would let go or would tramline badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I usually slow using gears always getting told off by mates behind with 4 pots & not much engine braking. Anyway all good now. May look at something else when these are done. The original scorpion 2 front was not badly worn when I went to road 5s

6. Gentlemen, thank you all for the feedback.
    I subscribe to what you guys wrote about "the set".
    Consequently, I've opted for the pair of Angels instead of a Rosso 3 front combo.
    For those of you wondering why I did not choose the newer Angel GT 2:
    Apparently (right or wrong), the older version is sportier on the dry than the newer GT2's which are more "GT focused" thus better on wet surfaces in an attempt to offer an alternatives to the awesome Road 5's in that context.
    Besides, I can always default to Rosso 3's following these.

FYI, This review dates back to 2017 where the 01 was rated as best Sport Touring tyre all-round.
    I think this addresses the Q&A between both @Sam1199 and @hawkster.

Personally, I wasn't keen on the flatter center which is why I chose the Angels. That, the light weight and the dry grip.
    I did not consider the Road5's as they apparently (anecdotal) have width issues rubbing the chain when mounted on the 1260.

#26 DarR, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. I went with the Road5s again despite this happening with the last set. Frankly doesn't look too bad. First time out on the fresh set on Wednesday and the tyre is already marked by the chain. Not too slack, dealer serviced the week before and tension seems spot on. Will be doing close to a couple of thousand miles over the next week and a half. Will report back at the end of that.

8. That places you among the "Mileage Rock Star" category.
    You're on your second pair also...in addition to the OEM's?
    Do tell.
    How much mileage did you get from the first pair of Scorpions and the first set of Road 5's?

9. The Scorpions came off early at around 3,000 miles. They're in my shed, unlikely that they'll go back on TBH, if anyone wants them you'll need to visit Ledbury and collect. They're an OK tyre if a somewhat shallow profile, you can so easily ride them to the edge and feel heroic about the absence of chicken strips. If I hadn't been going away an a tour I would have run them to end of life.

I'm now on almost 8,000 miles so the first Road5s lasted approximately 5k. The front is in worse shape than the rear which might have another 1k until it's on the legal limit. I'm off to Portugal on Sunday so fresh tyres all round as I prefer going on trips without tyre wear concerns, have been caught out a couple if times thinking "I'll make it..." and the failing to do so either limping home on shagged tyres or having the hassle of getting new tyres whilst away.

I prefer to replace as pairs and the Road5s have worn well in terms of not perecptibly feeling weird. As is usual with me and Michelins the front has worn on the edges the most, though unlike the PR4s the profile hasn't changed too much.

I guess dual compound tyres are a compromise between grip on the shoulders and endurance in the centre. For riders that do a mixture of upright motorway miles as well as some cornering the ratio is correct. I only ride recreationally, don't commute and Wales is on my doorstep. Thus my riding is more biased towards cornering. I suppose that if I did more upright mileage I'd be getting around 7k out if a set of Road5s, I don't quite fit the Michelin engineer's demographic but the all round performance of the Road5 I like. Having said that I may try the Pirelli Angel GTs next just to see what they're like.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Excellent write-up.
    About the OEM Scorpions. You are right about the cornering angle as the Scorpions have very little. I was actually ready to replace those while on the showroom floor as I bought the 1260 Multi as a replacement sportbike that can accommodate my wife who's now too timid to ride her own.
    j and me ride.png
    Notwithstanding, I opted to give them a try. Since they're a dual purpose tire, I even rode the Multi on a quad trail just to see what it's like. Although it reminded me just how much fun off-road can be as that's how I actually started riding as a child, the Multi is way too heavy for my liking. Maybe I should also get a small ADV bike like a Versys-X 300?
    Back on topic, I'm anxious to mount the Angels I just purchased and compare those to my beloved Rosso 3's now mounted on my Monster replacing the OEM Supercorsa's.
    I will post a "back to back" comparo thread next season on the topic.
    Have a great ride to Portugal.

#30 DarR, Oct 12, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Scorpions. *shudders*

12. I'm on Metzler Tourance Next on my 1200 MTSE, I've not ridden for ten years so I'm well out of the scene (getting back in slowly) so any comments on these would be useful?

Best I can say at the moment is that they seem fine to me ...

13. I wasn't even thinking about Enduro tires when I started this thread. In fact, it was to get away from them.
    Notwithstanding, there should be a thread about Enduro tyres as the Scorpions and neither here or there but somewhere in the middle. However, my little off-road excursion made me realize that this is what I want to do as a grand-father with my grand children if I'm blessed to have some.
    BTW, welcome back to riding. I can feel your thrill having lived-it myself. Enjoy.

#33 DarR, Oct 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you for this thread discussion. Still riding with the OEMs on my 1260S with 5500 km on them. Mentioning the Angel GTs rings home, since they were my tire of choice on my previous ride ever since their launch in 2014 (2005 VFR800, with over 160k km on her).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Personally I wouldn't mix brands or types.
    Scorpions Trail II did 6,3K miles rear and 7Kmiles front. Both to their legal limits. (maybe a bit beyond).
    Didn't have any problem with them, cornering well, good wet grip as well I thought.

Replaced by Rosso II.
    Thought about Rosso 3, but 2 compounds is good enough for me as I don't do track days and those multiple compounds tyres are harder to get warm on roads. (that's my opinion based on my own experience and riding style, reviews and some other readings).

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've tried loads of tyres, cant get any more than 3000 miles out of anything, just worn out my back I put on last month, I don't want some old wooden thing lasting more but they all really last the same amount. This year alone I have gone through, 2 sets of Road 5s, Power Rs (lasted 1300 miles but were good) Conti track attack 3 (lovely but poor milage) conti road attack 3(very good) conti road attack first series again very good. now got a set of conti road attack 3 again cos I like them, so I have come to the conclusion that bike tyres wear out so tyre companies make money, just like the shitty LED bulbs that are supposed to last 5 years or so... Bollox, I am sure that they could make a tyre that should last longer and grip like hell but that isn't going to happen in my life. Anyone seen a tyre company go bust in the last 100 years??? I guess not so there's your answer , just keep buying a product that could be improved and save the environment rather than trash the landfill sites is more relevant to profiteering fat cats that feed the government.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I had them on a previous bike (Yamaha XT1200) and found them to be excellent. Good grip wet or dry and good mileage too.

18. That's what I like to hear, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. D
    My wife had them on a f650gs which has half the power of mts. But the tires were good with no problems and no strange wear patterns.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thank you!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information