1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Multistrada Tyre Experiment

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DarR, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Has anyone ever had any grief from an insurance assessor during a claim, for having different tyre makes between the 2 axles? I've heard of it being a 'try on' with cars where there are different tyres across one axle (even though tread depths are legal etc).

2. I think the only way they could get you is if you mixed radial & cross ply tyres. They would have to have a serious case for trying different manufacturer radials front & back - you'd have to do something stupid like have a car tyre on the rear!

I have used Angel GT's since I wore the first set of Scorpions out, however, after using Maxxis Supermaxx Sports on my track bike (£130 pair) and absolutely loved them, I thought I'd try the Maxxis Supermaxx ST's, but there is no 190/55's in the UK so I have gone for a pair of Maxxis Diamonds for £180 fitted! Whilst I am by no means a riding god, I am pretty swift. I shall keep you all informed on how they perfom. :D

3. I found that with the Angel GT on my 1290, not even run in had them to the edge of the tyre. Grip is good in general terms but getting to the edge so quick put me off pushing them.
    My fronts usually have life left when the back is finished (esp on the GS) BUT handling is spoilt by the poor front tyre profile by this point. So change as a pair.
    No sense in spending a fortune on a good motorcycle and trying to save £20 by getting more miles from 1 worn tyre, ruining the ride in the process. Such a small part of the cost of running a motorcycle compared to depreciation, fuel etc etc.
    Also in favour of matched tyres. Reinforced by a big slide on my GS last week. Both tyres went on a left hander with a surprise damp patch (here in France) but found grip again in a predictable way before running out of tarmac. Mis matched tyres could have been a different story I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Maxxis Diamomds fitted yesterday, 70 miles done, so far so good!

5. I suspect they would look for other things first.
    good tyre.jpeg

6. Jeez, that’s about ready to be replaced :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Another session in that ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I was watching a 3 years old video on the YT Fortnine channel, about Touring tires:

Ryan mentions about the Angel GT a 'D' spec... I found from further research it was designed by Pirelli for the Multistrada GT. There is also a 'A' spec - and from many different forums, one not to use on our heavier bikes... I did not know that.

Ducati.ms has a good thread about the differences (https://www.ducati.ms/threads/angel-gt-d-spec-vs-standard.702849/).
    EDIT: found more info.

#48 johnmtl, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  9. Absolutely. I ordered the "D Specs" while there's still some stock. Following those, I'll move on to the latest and greatest based on my needs...whichever those are at that time.
    Got to hand it to Fortnine... best entertaining and informative videos around.

10. Is there much weight difference between the Multi & Multi GT?

11. Very little. The difference is that you tend to load the GT more. It had bigger panniers.
    Notwithstanding, that's irrelevant as the MTS GT is not an "A Spec" weight bike.

12. If you have a Pike Peak, can't you use the A spec?

13. I can't see why not but it's a heavier tire which you don't need or probably don't want.
    Moreover, a stiffer tire results in a smaller contact patch offering less traction.
    This latter is why we air-down on both the racetrack and the Jeep trails.

#53 DarR, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  14. Ah, I think I got confuddled!!

So the A spec is for the heavier bike
    D Spec is the lighter bike

I Do like GT's, and never had an issue with them at all, always ran book pressures to!!

15. The previous version of Angel GT had three iterations:
    "A" for heavy
    "D" for Ducati
    "no spec" for the rest

I bought the "D" specs only because it's Ducati. However, nobody has a clear explanation what the difference between it and the "no specs" other than hearsay about TC.
    Pirelli has dropped the "D" spec on the new Angel GT2's

16. Back in the day there was a specific OEM version of a Bridgestone tyre for the VFR VTEC. Turned out it had 2mm less tread depth than the standard version... Don't know if there was any other significant difference, none was claimed. I just used the standard spec Bridgestone before changing my tyre of choice to Michelins.

17. I fitted a pair of Angel Gt's but do not know and have not heard about the different grades. But that may have some bearing on the way the rear wore out so badly. After 2000km the rear delaminated on a tour we were doing. I was solo with luggage and we were riding about 120km of aggressive gravel rd. I got a flat tyre but as we fixed one hole, we found another. In total we plugged about 4-5 holes, two of which seemed to become one as they were so close. Having difficulty retaining air, I put a tyre pando in and then we noticed it coming out in pinholes about a further 6 holes around the tyre. Also it was starting to develop radial type cuts all around the centre of the tread. I was lucky to be able to ride it to civilisation.
    This tyre would not have been on the bike for more than 6weeks from new, and was sent back to Pirelli NZ who just fobbed me off.

18. The Angel GT is a Sport Touring tire with the emphasis on Sport and not designed to withstand the rigors of gravel roads.
    The OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 or the Metzeler Tourance Next is a better choice for that.

#59 DarR, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DarR, that is a good effort !! :upyeah::cool:
    I've skinned a few tyres in my time, and usually have at least one down to cord each year, but not quite as severe as that :laughing:

Scorpion Trail / Trail 2 are a great tyre for most things. Even riding very spirited they do ok.
    I've ridden gravel trails on both of them and on PR4s. Fully loaded or solo, they are all fine for this, but wouldn't want to do any serious off road on them. In my experience they all wear at a similar rate too.
    Whilst the tourance is a better off road choice, I don't find it grippy enough when pushing on on tarmac, doesn't inspire confidence as it feels like its starting to let go quite early (probably why you've skinned that one above)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information