1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dorsetdave, Jun 25, 2018.

1. 5k miles for a front is just fine - if that’s a similar wear pattern to PR4s then I’d assume about 4k out of a rear? I’ve just swapped my front PR4 at 6.6k, which is the longest I’ve ever had a tyre last. Unsurprising that the new PR5 feels so much better, then…

#21 Technomad, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. I have just fitted a pair of Michelin Road 5 to my DVT today - only done 10 miles so far. Looking forward to wearing them out all around Europe next month. Then I'll let you know how they were ...

3. Just as an input i did 4500 miles on original trail 2,s. front was still ok, rear pretty badly squared off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ... and Michelin are giving me £30 cashback on the purchase, they have just confirmed by email.

5. I’ve just covered 2300 miles on Road 5’s Pete, I think you will like them, I’m very impressed with them.

6. Has anyone used Bridgestone A40's or A41?

7. I love Pirelli Angel GT's, seem to last well considering I normally ride with pillion & akin to someone who's taken the bike without permission :p

Just done 2000 miles round Europe (not too many motorway miles) and they don't look too bad at all.:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just had a pair of Michelin Road 5’s put on mine this morning. Have done about 15 miles. So far they seem to be lasting pretty well... :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hi All thanks for the info on tyres, I have got a set coming and bought the rear when socket.
    Anyone know what the bore size is of the rear wheel. Wondering if my mechanic has the balancing spacers to fit

10. After wearing out the original Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s in 2,500 miles, three weeks ago I had a set of Michelin Road 5s fitted ready for my trip to the European Multistrada Meeting (EMM) in the Haute-Savoie (French Alps). The wear looks pretty good, after 2,600 miles there is still nearly 2 mm tread above the central wear markers on the rear tyre. So they should be good for maybe 3,500 miles - but as we all know rear tyres seem to wear faster the more worn they are. I won't be wearing the rear to the limit as I'm booked in for another set of Road 5s on Thursday ready ready for my next tour (Basque country, via Santander with the wife on the back). I always change tyres as a pair.

My impressions of the Road 5s is that they seem a little bit slow turning than what I remember of the Pilot Road 4s, maybe not as slow as the Scorpion Trail 2s or as slow as I remember the Angel GTs I had on my last Multi. The dry grip seems very good and I can't comment on wet grip I've not ridden in the rain - 10 days to, on and from the EMM - 2,300 miles and not one drop of rain! The Road 5s aren't showing anything like the scalloping wear pattern that the Pilot Road 4s had a reputation for. You can definitely see the softer compound on the edges of the rear tyre. It will be interesting to see if the Road 5s give the same level of confidence in the wet as the PR4s - but I'm quite happy to wait a month or two to find out :)
    upload_2018-6-30_20-11-32.png

I'm not sure about the calibrated chicken strips - looks like I need to try a lot harder :)

upload_2018-6-30_20-11-46.png

11. Fitted some PR5's couple weeks ago, first ride to work yesterday. So 110 miles in, they are extremely neutral, and I am pretty sure slower turning than the $'s too, but not hindering. Not ridden quick enough yet to gauge real performance or grip but nice start.

And my dealer ISNT in the £30 scheme :confused::expressionless:

12. Nice to meet you at Loomies when you were en-route to the EMM. Have a good trip to Spain:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. It was good to meet another forum member completely unplanned, and have the time for a chat.

14. Just fitted Bridgestone T31 on the bike, 36 on the front and 42 on the rear, did 20 miles yesterday just to get a heat cycle through them and will do 100 miles in the morning, how am I off for the pressures? Should I stick with the 36 both ends?

15. Had a set of pilot road 5s fitted today, 60 miles in and they feel great, still anything would as my last set of tyres were 4 years old and shot, rear even had a nail in it too.
    Doing some milage tomorow so will report back then:upyeah:

16. Got a set of Road 5’s going on on Thursday evening. Which was a good thing as I am sure when my bike was being serviced yesterday and they rushed over to say my tyres were shot they thought they were going to get some extra business.

17. I’ve got Avon 3D storms on mine. Done 2000 miles in a week still look like new. However really bad weave at 90 plus with panniers and 110 without. Ducati Lincoln reckon it’s the tyres

18. I fitted a set of Avon Storm 3D XMs last August for a planned trip to SW France in September, they cost me £147 fitted.
    As anybody who was there last year will know, France suffered its wettest September in living memory - bloody typical and the reason we buggered off over the Pyrenees and had a fantastic trip - Now, having covered just under 4000 miles, two up + luggage, on that trip and a further 3900 miles odd since, the front is nearly. (But not quite, while the hot dry weather lasts) done, the rear however is good for a good couple of thousand miles yet! I have always used Michelin RP whatever’s, brilliant, not the longest lasting but good, the Avon’s are every bit as good in every way, wet, dry, feedback etc plus they last twice as long, just bought another set for “stock”
    Tyres are very much an individual thing and an awful lot of it is in the mind, for example,I am old enough to remember the first Japanese motorcycles and more importantly the OEM Bridgstones they were fitted with - you could have worn out the motorcycle before you wore out the tyres - dreadful things and to this day they give me “the willies” and as such I won’t have them about me! People tell me they are very good and I have no doubt they are - but I still wouldn’t use them.

079E3571-2930-4071-AAE2-92386984EF71.jpeg

40964766-F04C-453F-ACCF-EF6D83D72185.jpeg

19. Have you had anything like the weave RichieRich mentions? I had a set of the original Avon Storms on my XJR1300 and they were good tyres, so I'm wondering about the 3D XM's when I change on the Multi.
    As for those old Banana skin Bridgestones of the seventies, I swear they were made out of solid plastic, not rubber:eek:
    I always smile when I see the various discussions on grip levels of modern tyres. Anyone who rode on those early Bridgestones would have bitten your arm off to get hold of anything even approaching the grip levels of the tyres we have today! Only trouble is they all wear out too quickly. Bring back plastic Bridgestones I say;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Michelin Road 5 front and rear fitted a week ago - old PR4s extremely scalloped (separate post ). Only 500 miles but so far feel better planted than the PR4s and Angel GT. Felt horrible after leaving the garage and my initial thoughts were "£300 down the drain. What a mistake! "

Checked the tyre pressures when cold and to my surprise the rear was 40 and the front 34 psi. Put both on 36 psi and the bike was transformed - what a relief!

So far I am happy and I hope will be happy in 3000-4000 miles and is not just the "new tyre" feeling. Somehow still have 1/2 an inch of shining rubber that it shouldn't be there by now..:thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information