1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Dorsetdave, Jun 25, 2018.

1. I've been a fan of Avons since the 70's and believe they are one of the best, yet most underrated tyres on the market today. If they're good enough for John McGuinness to win the Classic TT last year, Guy Martin and Pete Boast to come second at Donington in the Classic Endurance Legends race, (“For the record, the second Avon tyre fitted during the race had done 115 race laps and to be honest it looked like new, so thank you.” Guy Martin, commented: “Those tyres were mint! All credit to Avon tyres, a superb product.”) I reckon they're good enough for me. When the KTM 790 Adventure was launched last November, it was launched with Avon TrailRiders as OE, thus proving Avon has highly rated offerings in Road, Track and Trail categories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. An old thread but back in june I posted 1000 miles on PR5's now done 4500 on them & still uasable. The slightest hint of tramlining but still a few thousand left. I do like to launch the bike too but rest of time steady.
    Tyre at 4500 miles.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. My other half came home yesterday having had the new Scorpions on the 1260 (less than 500 miles on them) skipping out on a couple of bends when applying throttle when coming out of the bend. Never happened on the old 1200 with PR4s or P5s. A few people have commented on a Ducati FB page that they have found the same thing happening with the stock Scorpions. From reading the above comments, I am starting to wonder if there are a few factors which should be considered when choosing tyres. Location - a tyre which works well in a hot, dry country may be less than effective somewhere cool and rainy. Ride style - how you ride may dictate the kind of tyre that you will get the best from. Preferences - do you want tyres that will last for touring or that will stick round bends on a track, be stable in wet conditions or perhaps good all-rounders for both gravel and tarmac? I doubt any single tyre can cover all that. I guess what I'm trying to work out is that just because a racer uses X brand, doesn't mean that it will translate to a good general road tyre and just because a rider in another country finds Z brand to be perfect for them, doesn't mean it will be ideal where I live. Does anyone else think this may be the case or should most road tyres work equally well regardless of who rides and where?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I experienced the exact same on my 1260. It’s now got 1300 miles on it and the rear lets go without warning when lifting the bike with the throttle. I’m probably going to replace them for Michelin power RS. Not the usual option for Multistradas but i have faith in them and I’m not concerned with mileage.

5. Having confidence in a tyre of your choice is half the battle. Ever felt the rear end squirm a bit on fresh tarmac, then you feel the bike so unsteady. Until you stop & take a look & everything is fine. You then ride like you stole it no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mmm my conti's are near to shot after 4 thousand miles now, liked them a lot but think I might try something else as it only seems a matter of months before I change again.

7. Ok talk to me about angel GT, who uses fun tyre? I need to try something else now as I have tried almost all there is out there. Might even go and put a set of Power RS on just for a month!!

8. I thought the Angel GT was a good tire, but I get more mileage and just as good grip and feel from the Dunlop RS3.
    I got 7000 miles out of the Angel GTs, and over 9000 on the Dunlops.

9. I find Pirellis Angel GT 2 the bset for Multistrada yet... They give me most confidence, not only in dry, especially in wet. much better then original Scorpion Trail and Angel GT 1. I don't mind milleage cca 5000, since it' s much more important feeling, than endurance of the tyres. Multistrada is oe of the most expensive bikes out there, so I can not imagine to put on a tyre that it's not up there in the class...

10. Having to replace both tyres - both punctured at the same time on a trip to Ireland. Both Michelin 5 and done just over 7000 miles.
    I am very happy with them but wondering whether I should have a go with the new Pirelli Angel GT 2. Please note I was not very happy with the Angel GT 1 hence moving to Michelin 5 but I wonder if the new Pirellis will be better than the Michelin 5 now.

Your input please.........

11. I was wondering that too, but no one has fitted a set yet so I went back to Road 5s again, third set this year. so will wait two months while these wear out then hopefully someone might have something to say about the Angel GT2

12. I wish I could wait as well but both tyres are now full of that sealing stuff - the recovery man kindly gave me.
    @perry - how many miles have you done on your Angel GT II's so far?

13. I fitted them... Only made about 150km with them, so I can not comment about durability. Also did not test them in the rain. But theybfeel much more planted, so I guess if they are a bit better then Angle GT 1, they will be phenomenal... for me, best for Multistrada.

14. Just ordered the Angel GT II - I liked the Angel GT 1, liked more the Michelin 5 and I hope I will like more - more the Angel GT 2 :)

15. Be interested to know how the GT 2’s compare to the Michelin 5’s.

16. Will be interested to hear what the Angel GT IIs are like. Have a set of Road5s in the shed along with my newly arrived MAX2H tyre changing kit. So will be putting those on the Multistrada next week. Road5s, and the previous Pilot Road series tyres have been my go-to tyres of choice for quite a few years now. Tried some Roadsmart IIs a couple of years ago, didn't find them quite as confidence inspiring as the Michelins.

17. I've just opted for some Bridgestone S21's to replace the PR4's. Found the PR4's to be a good balance between grip and wear but wanted to try a set of tyres that are more sport oriented.

18. My plan is shot to bits.

This morning I ordered a new Michelin 5 for the Multi. To be delivered to my brothers post box in Spain, while I’m on tour. Pick it up, get the local fella to stick it on, job done, but no.

Oponeo can’t get one for at least a week, maybe longer. This is Spain, that means maybe a month.
    I didn’t see that coming. Plan dead.

Now what do I get? Metzeler, I like Metzelers, in fact I hated the last Michelin with a vengeance but thought I’d give the 5 a go.

Which Metzeler? An 01, that’s a touring tyre but should I get the HWB? Or should I say sod it I only really ride in the dry and get an M7?

Decisions, decisions.

19. I can recommend Roadtec 01's. FWR suggested fitment of the heavyweight version on the rear which worked well.

I have Road 5's on at the moment but I'll be switching back to Roadtecs shortly. I just prefer the feel of the Metzelers and I think they wear better than the Michelins.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information