1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada Tyres

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mark_h, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Got any more photos of the bike workshop @performerk?

2. no only one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I just ordered Michelin Pilot Power 3's for my Diavel from Demon Tweaks at £237.99 fitted. Not bad considering the 240 section rear. Pirellis were the same price but I fancied a change as its years since I rode on Michelin's.

4. Just this morning bought the same kit. Pricey but it should pay for itself over time. Its not just the cost saving but the convenience that's convinced me to go down the DIY route. Changing tyres costs me in the region of £25-£30 a set plus a drive to Hereford and back. This will take quite a few years to pay off the price in respect of that but where I'll really win is that I inevitably change tyres before going on tour if I'm in any doubt that they'll last the distance. I've been caught out a couple of times and it diminishes hard won enjoyment either nursing a knackered tyre home or taking the time out to get them replaced whilst away as well as paying the price of not buying on-line. The tyres I remove usually have significant life remaining but despite being put in the shed usually wind up at the dump a year or two later. Being able to remount and use these will save quite a bit in a year or two.

#64 Bumpkin, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. @Bumpkin I'm waiting on the max2h portable mounting stool, which should land in June hopefully. I've mulled getting kits from america a number of times but the tire-changer evo2 fits well in its storage bag. Not yet popped its cherry'

6. Jan has assured me that the kit will arrive suitably ahead of my next tour (16th May) to enable me to use it to swap out the part worn OEM Pirelli Scorpions for the Michelin Road 5s that arrived the other day. How long did it take for yours to come from Germany?

I might have to go to the garage to use their airline to seat the tyres, either that or visit my farmer friend and his workshop with a decent compressor. I have a compressor of sorts but probably not got the omph to do the trick, will see once I have the kit.

7. Bumpkin, get some decent quality tyre soap. That will make the tyres much easier to mount / dismount and also to seat correctly. Mine came from tyrebaydirect.

I've not used the tyre machine you guys are talking about, I have one very similar to the draper semi automatic machine as I change my own car tyres too (can't remember its actual make).
    It certainly makes life a hell of a lot more convenient. You will still end up with a bunch of part worn tyres though so make sure you have room to keep them all :blush:

You might also consider getting a wheel balancer stand. They aren't very expensive, but mean you can then balance your own bike wheels too using stick on weights.
    Personally I don't bother balancing rear wheels, only the fronts.

My machine has paid for itself by the savings in fixing punctures rather than replacing tyres on bikes and cars alone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Oh it was fast, the GLS parcel service link he gave me. Didn't seem to work but it was over here in like 3-4days.

The same site do offer a *5liter air-compressor with different fitting which I grabbed. I like it because its ability to be shoved into a car boot. Costs €170 & you just cut off euro plug & stick a 3-pin on the lead.

#68 GunZenBomZ, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Great, hope mine is that quick.

Will probably wait for next Aldi one to come up but will try with the one I already have combined with tyre soap as suggested by John. Kit comes with some of that.

10. A bog standard camping air compressor works ok just for tyres and blowing the bead ime

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I admire all you home tyre changers.

I remember watching my Dad change the rear on his CBX1000 with much swearing and skinned knuckles, to then realise it was the wrong way round!

I think it scarred me!

12. Last time i changed my own tyres....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSCN0732_zps2c47922e.jpg
    DSCN0736_zps722aa6e2.jpg
    DSCN0737_zps12554dac.jpg

DSCN0741_zpsd88fc1b7.jpg

Not the easiest of tasks and haven't done it since lol :blush::blush::blush:.

#72 RichW, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. The look on your dogs face says it all

Never again!!

Brilliant :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Might be of interest. The latest issue of Ride has done a test on what they describe as road based adventure tyres, using a V-Strom. The results were:

6th; Metzeler Tourance Next
    5th; Michelin Anakee Adventure
    4th; Dunlop Trailsmart Max
    3rd; Bridgestone Adventure A41
    2nd; Continental Trailattack 3

and the winner is... (drum roll)

1st; Pirelli Scorpion Trail II

Looks like the OE is a wise choice.

15. @GrumpyGolfer
    BTW, I love your username. I have a lot of respect to the Scots and inventing golf.
    I also understand the correlation between golf and Scottish whiskey. Makes perfect sense now.

Yeah, the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail II are fun for what they are on an ADV bike.
    Grip is great but lean angle is not. I consider the Multi as a Sportbike that can tour.
    Can't wait to replace them comes the spring.

16. Think il be fitting Power RS once the scorpions wear out.

17. Dammit, got my Enduro two weeks ago and the shop put on ... Tourance Nexts ... though they seem fine to me.

#77 Edward Cunliffe, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  18. Just put some s22’s on mine , much better feel than the scorpions imho
    Though they are a different class of tyre

19. Yup Bridgestones

#80 fatbob99, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information