1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Multistrada Zumo 590 - Fitting With Navi But Where Did You Hide All The Wires!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DTN, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Hi All!
    New to the forum but also new to Ducati as my current bike is a KTM. I have just bought a year old Multistrada and so far absolutely love it! The comfort, speed and general riding position really suits me. Should work well for the tours I have planned although the KTM held its own on the NC500 I completed Sept last year.

I know the navihailter GPs mount had been covered and I'm fairly happy putting that on but where did you hide all the wires that come off the gps mount that comes with the zumo? If the one lead clips into the lead on the left front fork leg that still seems to leave a lot of wires to tidy up! Just wondered what anyone did if they have fitted this mount and whether I'm missing something! (I usually am!)
    Apologise if this had been covered before but the only thread I could find showed how to locate the plug not what people did with a tangle full of wires!!

2. I see from the video both wires look black did you have to use a multi meter to establish which one is the live feed?
    Also for those who have used the navihailter mount do you need to strip off the front beak to route the wiring neatly?

Desperado

3. I haven't had chance to get out and play yet but from what I've seen you only need to remove the screen to fit the navi mount. As for the masses of wires I don't know. That was kind of my point as if it connects to the wire shown in the video I'm going to have to get busy with the black tape to hide it all‼️

4. I fitted the power lead to the navi holder then run it down the edge of the navi halter bracket - down behind the dash screen and throught to near the steering head.

Feel around on LHS inside fairing panel - about 6 inches in and there is a recess with some sort of ECU black box.

Using double sided Velcro - I covered top of the ECU with one half of the velcro (It too is held in place with a velcro dot)

I then coiled all the wires around the transformer - leaving a tail of about 10 inches fitted the coiled up transformer on top of the ECU by using the other half of the velcro stuck to the bottom of the transformer and routed the tail to the connector near the steering head.

Checked all were oK - no wires tight - then fitted some extra tie wraps to secure all.

5. I didn't strip off the beak to route the wiring, I ran it down the side/back of the clocks, around the left hand side after removing the plastic lateral cover with DUCATI on it and just cable tied it to existing loom then across to the connector. Checked the steering both ways to make sure nothing was trapped.

I bared the connector wires, switched the bike on, connected the wires in turn until the power on the satnav fired it up. Connected both wires, rechecked power on start up and shutdown, switched off then soldered and heat shrunk the cable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. So much for 'plug and play'!!
    Still it gives me chance to get everything linked up; Sena, Garmin, Bike! A world away from my KTM I must admit!

7. I routed mine like JimVee and most others (cable pops neatly behind the dash). I wasn't interested in all of the other wires (USB,AUX etc), I just wanted + & -. I emailed Garmin to see if they did such a cable, they don't so I snipped all the unwanted off and heat-shrunk the ends.
    You can buy a replacement motorcycle mount/cable set-up separately, so I've done nothing irreversible:oops:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. +1 Yes I did exactly the same, I don't know why Garmin don't make a simple mount with only the supply connection.

9. I shall be looking to fit mine at the end of the wk I think now. As always things get in the way!
    Just out of interest why did no one run it to the battery and clip it on? I know the cables are left there by Ducati to do basically the same thing but just wondered that's all? Saves routing it through the bike I suppose

10. Why would you? Its more hassle, means disconnecting battery (which some skyhook riders really dont want) and routing would be more of a pain.

Use what Ducati designed :)

11. Haha question answered Was just something I've pondered as without this forum I wouldn't have known about it. Another reason I'm pleased I joined!

12. Because the DVT has a USB port up front oin my tank bag, I used with my garmin navi (car model). Because it thnks the bike is a pc, it just tries to power up to update and wont actually work. So I used the hella connection from under the seat and put my ultimate addons cable on there and routed it. Its a pita!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. This is my way of not going direct to battery. Now I have just bought LM390 and navilhalter, I'll wire to the cinnector inder the igntion panel and keep this for camera or anything else that needs USB power

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14. All fitted, lost a couple of washers and stuff but improvised, need to find a way to keep the wires tucked away around the clocks but most seemed tk have tucked nicely into the inside lhs of the upper fairing, now to ride it and see if it stays in there

15. Did you find a way to keep the wires tucked away? Finally started my install and have put the thick Garmin wire round the back of the navi and put it with the various wires on the left handle bar. I've then just ran it down into the void where the connection lies. It's not tidy enough for me though so may revisit unless anyone has a pic of where they routed the wires? Hopefully once my mate comes round and we soilder it up it should all come together!
    Once that's done I think I'm all ready to get out and enjoy some miles health depending!

16. I have just tucked them away at the mo, and not ridden but suspect it may work itself out so will need to Velcro pads

17. Yep I'm thinking the same. Pleased how it looks and only light stopped play with regards getting it wired up. The line of sight looks good and I'm sure I've seen installs where the leads are not visible but my simple mind was not having any of it this afternoon
    Once done I'll post if anyone is interested but as there are loads of posts already I'll see. I hate asking the same question but in each thread there tends to be the bit I'm after missing! I'd love a step by step of the actual soildering part as I've never done it before but as I can't find it I'm hoping it's fairly simple

18. I tucked them nicely behind clocks but noticed when the screen is adjusted it pulls the cable out again so left as is for now

19. I tucked them nicely behind clocks but noticed when the screen is adjusted it pulls the cable out again so left as is for now

Do Not Sell My Personal Information