1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Mutley 1260s Test Ride Review

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, May 15, 2018.

1. Great write up Wayne58,
    I’ve not yet taken the 1260 out yet. However your comments on the aesthetics match my own opinion exactly. And no red frame on the standard and S version add to the little bit of essence you get from a Ducati.
    I would be interested to try the bike regarding the QS. I had a loan bike Monster 821 when mine was in for a service and loved the QS and downshift on that.
    I think you’ve made a good comparison between two of the latest models .
    Nice one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Cheers mate, enjoy your test ride and maybe post your thoughts on here also. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Great write-up, and I was nodding in agreement at pretty much every point. Today I was at the shop having a new set of Angel GTs put on the Multi, and was talking with one of the salesguys who I've known for awhile. He had a '13 Multi, sold it for a Tuono (which he bent at the track but now is fixed), picked up another '13 for a song. He even said to me no reason to move to the 1260 from the DVT, particularly since my bike is dialed in with the full Termi system. Having the KTM SA-S as the second bike, I've got a planted/neutral handling bike. So I want the Multi to be the "sport bike" and be quick/light handling.

In my brief spin on the 1260, I think it is easier to ride fast than the 1200 DVT - takes less work as the torque is on-tap most everywhere, and it rails. But the drama of the DVT rush and need to keep it on boil have become endearing to me. Again, if I want to just twist and go, the 1290 motor in the KTM does that frankly better than any motor I've ridden. But the character of the 1200 DVT, particularly with a proper full exhaust, is something that is either a feature or a bug depending on what you're looking for.

Both great bikes, just comes down to details...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great reading.
    I've not ridden one yet, but I agree about the comments regarding lack of red frame, new dash, etc.
    The improvements are nice to have but not big enough to force me to change.
    As bizarre as it sounds the lack of red frame compared to last year was enough to kill the deal dead though :yum

It would be interesting to see just how the sales of the new 1260 compare to the new DVT when it was released, or even last years model.

The question is, will they do any additions/improvements for next years model, or do I need to wait for another year before it tempts me :grinning:
    As for the V4, I wonder if that is a real possibility :no_mouth:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well I can only repeat what I've been told, but the head bloke at moto rapido says he doesn't think the V4 will go in the multi? Time will tell eh......

6. So what will it go into ?

7. I took out a Multi1260S today and have to say it was great bike. The handling was superb and the QS was brilliant. I was surprised the motor was not as smooth as I was expecting and it was a bit vibey at high revs, plus it doesn't have the rawness of the 2012 Multi1200S. As others have said you sit more in the bike than on it, which means that there is less space for the knees.
    Overall great bike, but I was happy to get back on my 2012 Multi1200S, with a working fuel gauge. I will almost certainly have another Multistrada at some point, but not just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Don't want to ruin the surprise John, but.. .. It's in the panigale :upyeah:o_O

9. Cant see it, Ducati will have spent a fortune developing that engine and whilst it will occupy the upper end of the range for a couple of years, I think we will start to see it spread to their models.

10. Who knows? Aprilia still don't put the V4 in the caponord? Time will tell I guess.......

11. We have to keep in mind the multi range (engine) is designed for a lot longer life span (miles) than a panigale would ever cover. The current service intervals and cost (I cant think of a dearer bike anywere) of the V4 would stop (scare) a lot of multi type of customers,
    Having said that the testastretta was originally a race engine and was modified successfully for long term road use, so I'm hopeful but certainly not convinced

#51 dddd, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Isn't that half of what you tube vloggers do anyway...?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information