1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 My 749s

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dubs, Nov 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Have this bike since late last yr.

It was a little minded , sitting in a house on display for a while - why ??!!

so I bought it and clocked up a few thou kms's , having done 999 kms exactly on Aug bank holiday in 2.5 days on Irish back roads - yes, I'm still hurting:eek::laughing: ( but some of the roads we took were sh!te in fairness, they ain't all that bad)

I'd ride all yr round except snow / ice so cleaned it up today.

For a late 2005 bike, 20k kms, its mint ! Plastics are great in fairness to Ducati.

Having had 1199s, 1098s, 848 evo etc, it's the better looking & sounding bike (?) imo and undiluted, well, maybe 50/50 against the 1199...

Poxy seat is hard going, I'm not getting any younger !:D:broken_heart:

20201113_210639.jpg

View attachment 224652

• Like Like x 19
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Looks good mate :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome, looks lush.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheers Cookster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Love a 749s

Bought mine in summer but not ridden it much yet but initial impressions are very good

I used to think they were fugly but im quite fond of them now

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looks like we also have the same rear stand

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Harris make great stands like no other.

That one I have is years old now. Still solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. some more 749s lovin'

IMG_20200727_1426420.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. This is the bike that started it all for me. I fell in love with it back in 2006 and bought a 749 biposto that I quickly converted to a mono. 15 years on I’m having it converted to a track bike but the love and enthusiasm for this bike and it’s divisive looks haven’t faded.

You’re bike looks brilliant. Enjoy.

10. Congratulations!! Looks like the twin of mine (except mine is a base one, not an S)

586B82A9-F679-4FAE-ADA4-831C4E9A6A99.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. That is a thing of beauty!

• Like Like x 1
  12. They are both stunning, feel bad I have stripped mine for a project :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thank you Johnny!

14. I’ve done the same. Would be interested to know what you’re doing to yours Lorne?

15. Hi, I have been convincing myself this is the way forward
    Basically the bike goes like this
    749s chassis with RS conversion, 999 deep sump, stripped, tuned and completely finished black, 2006 Factory swing arm, collecting tomorrow :D, K Tech rear shock, totally Black Marzocchi forks, NCR bottoms, K Tech Internals, ISR Master cylinders, rotors and callipers, CNC racing triple clamps, Carbon cafe racer seat, bolt direct to frame, hand beaten tank, finished Ali with Monza cap, new loom, moto gadget chrono, wheels, Satin Black Jonich, solid billet hubs and rims, downside, spokes were meant to be black but they came stainless, they are absolutely stunning regardless.
    Not sure whether to leave frame anniversary red to make it pop out of the black.
    CR Racefit will add their expertise with a set of 60mm titanium pipes and a slash cut silencer.
    In my head it sounds great but I am sure I will be cursing by Xmas, sorry it went on a bit :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wow!

17. Fair Comment Sev, I have practically everything for the rolling chassis now, so will assemble roughly to get some inspiration, actually I think collecting the swing arm tomorrow will be a good trigger, maybe a glass of wine in the garage :thinkingface:. I think you should come and grab that tank mate :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. what did you do with yours Johnny ??

19. I bought mine in 2006. At the time I was living in Aus and it was my first ever bike. All these years later I haven’t been able to bring myself to part with it so I decided to ship it over to the UK. Nostalgia clearly got the better of me because despite it being in more or less in showroom condition I know I could have bought one for roughly what it cost me to ship it over

Anyway, the problem now is that I have a V4R and a Hypermotard in the garage so every time I head out for a ride the poor old 749 seems to get looked over.

After all there years I’ve started getting into track days so I’ve finally found a use for the 749 - turn it into a track day weapon. I’ve enlisted Pro Twins who have been brilliant.

The bike hasn’t really been ridden for 5 years so the starting point is a full drains up to make sure it’s running optimally and is safe.

The rest of what is to be done is slowly revealing itself as I spend more time talking to the guys at Pro Twins.

The bike already benefited from an STM slipper clutch. We’ve decided to add a full carbon RS fairing, race seat to adjust the ride height and a 749R tank. All the usual safety equipment including fork, frame, swingarm sliders and engine casings. It’s had braided brake lines, silicone pipes and race air filters fitted. There’s an Arka slip on pipe, a quick action throttle, a quick shifter and a blipper as well as a new GP shift set of rearsets. I’m keen to explore what else I can do to pimp my ride and very open to suggestions but to credit the guys at Pro Twins they’ve encouraged me to be sensible and ride the bike before making any more performance mods.
    It’s a work in progress at the moment but I can’t wait to get hold of it and in particular to get it on track out in Spain or Portugal next summer.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information