1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Baines Imola

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Dave, Mar 12, 2017.

1. The deal has been done :)

Now to get those belt covers ... black carbon I reckon :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  2. A few shots taken for insurance purposes ... no insurer has it on their list ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've set up a FaceBook group for anyone interested in these bikes. Can you please spread the word, especially if you come across someone who owns one of the other 37!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Here's a few more pics now she is home and running properly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. Fantastic looking bike, classic looks and relatively modern performance and braking, what's not to like!

6. Why can't someone come up with another nose fairing other than that F-Ugly nose fairing that all Ductatis seem to get?

Talk about about a dustbin fairing - these look like like half a dustbin - always the damn same, completely spoils the look, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Glad you're happy with your Baines, hopefully you'll have a better luck that I did when I had a go on one...
    I borrowed Baines yellow 750 demonstrator, rode it pretty gently for about 5 miles to get it warmed up and it promptly broke down with something terminal sounding. Had to be rescued from the roadside, very embarassing all round and put me right off.
    Shame really, especially as they now seem to be asking silly money for them so if I'd bought one I'd be able to swap it for a nice bevel!
    £13000? No way Jose. 25k Euro? F*** O**!
    Some nice detailing but the angle of that number plate holder/tail light would bug me. I know the unit's as per the '78 SS, but I'd swap it for a repro version of the smaller ones, as used on the 750 Sport/SS and early 900ss.
    Enjoy the ride.

8. Well the engine on mine seems sound @Vulpine2 ... nothing to do with Baines of course as mine was a kit. Bit embarrassing on their demo bike though!

I know what you mean by the angle of the rear light. I don't notice it TBH but I might be tempted to swap it. Do you know a source of repros of the smaller ones, as used on the 750 Sport/SS and early 900ss?

9. If you don't notice it then leave it be. However...now that I've brought it to your attention...
    Mdina Italia do a lot of stuff for bevel twins, not cheap but a good company to deal with.
    http://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=079574115
    http://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=068474153
    The brake light itself is very similar to - if not the same as? - those used some widecase singles. Classic Ducati offer a couple of versions at a better price e.g. http://www.classicducati.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=724.
    (The singles bracket/no. plate holder is at a different angle and unlikely to suit)
    Bevelheaven in the US also a good source but shipping expensive and import duties/VAT to add. Useful to have a helpful friend in the US...
    Or maybe even something like this? http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/tail-lamp-atomic-2515-p.asp

#49 Vulpine2, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  10. Hi, I built 007!! Wonderful bike. Alan

• Like Like x 2
  11. Really?!? That's brilliant! I'd love to hear more about Project Imola - they are great machines :)

12. Hello & Welcome Alan, photos please, we like photo’s especially if there’s a bin lurking:)

13. Nice looking bike enjoy

14. stunning bike, really love the look of it, good for you its a beaut

15. I had one good ride out on her last year before the weather turned. Nice and light, great power to weight ratio but as I suspected on ancient tyres and fork oil she was shocking going round corners. She is currently at Louigi Moto having her front suspension done and I have some free new Michelins on the way courtesy of Bike magazine so once that's all done we'll see how she goes and whether the rear needs sorting as well before WDW. Watch this space.

16. Hi, I built that wonderful bike!! Alan

17. I'd love to hear more from you about Project Imola - they are great machines :)

18. Did I see you live in Taunton? I'm near Bude though that's not where I lived when I built the bike. Got to know John Baines quite well, he checked the bike over and set it up for me prior to putting it on the road. The bike and kit were so well sorted it was a joy to put together, allowing time to major on finish. John thought my gearbox rebuild had made the nicest he had ridden. The guy who bought the bike from lived in Essex, I wonder where you came across it.

19. Fascinating stuff Alan. I had just assumed it was one of those built by Baines themselves! I will take a look at the V5 when I get home and perhaps we can piece together its history.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information