1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Current Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by motecben, Mar 30, 2020.

1. My 996R is the same as Ian's [Bettes]...

2. One more question for you 998R owners. Is you number plate mount a gloss finish or matt? I have a plastic one at the moment but will replace it when I can find a suitable one. Thanks again

3. Tried for a first start up yesterday - bit hopeful but although we have spark we do not have fuel. Planning on checking some injector signals and 12 V today with a scope. There are bits of my wiring loom that I have some doubts about too! Also probable that the injectors are jammed up with old fuel and lack of use so plenty to try. Got the tank on facing backwards so all looks un-aerodynamic but allows me to see whats going on!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Good video someone posted the other day using just wd40, fresh fuel and a 9V battery for cleaning the injectors. It was surprising how much crap came out of them and only took a few mins.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Had a quick look for that but cannot find it at the moment. My wife has an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelery so I might pinch that and see if it works.

6. Found something similar.

7. Don't tell her about it, do it when she's out. She's still not forgiven you for washing bike parts in the dishwasher :D

8. Well I managed to get the injectors working quite easily without upsetting the household arrangements! But one of the injectors now wants to free flow. Unless there is something stuck on the seat, I think two new injectors are in order. The consequences of hydraulic lock do not bear thinking about.

9. She runs! All OK.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Right. No oil leaks, no fuel leaks. Noise pad inside airbox disintegrating and there appears to be some wear in the throttle body linkage or the rear spindle bearing.Usual tuning required but in general I am pleasantly surprised. Confident enough to phone the paintshop in the morning to book some work in. This thing made a good noise and no complaints from the neighbours. (Less straightforward when we fired up a GP6 a few years ago after fitting a Motec system). Rest easy guys. I am having some red tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Nice one Ben. A big sigh of relief, eh?

12. You could say that Ian but let me tell you that it has been and will continue to be an excellent lock down project. Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Nice, enjoying the read! You're making cracking progress too!

14. I fitted 998 style fairings to my 916SPS bitsa which had a separate belly pan - I made two sheet ally brackets (one each side) to support the belly pan when the side fairings were removed.

15. Thanks RickyX. I have opted for a single bolt to hold the belly pan on when side panels are removed. It may not be as standard but it works. The belly pan is so light that a single bolt is fine.

16. Does anyone know who will have parts for or will overhaul throttle bodied? The plastic socket on the horizontal body linkage is worn and I think the vertical body shaft bearing is worn too. Ducati only have one part number for the whole assembly so I won't be going down that route!

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

17. You can replace the ball and plastic socket and go spherical bearing

18. I am sure the bearings are a standard size and can be replaced.

19. Spherical bearings would probably be a good idea. Thanks. I have not taken the assembly apart yet so don't know what sort of bearing is on the shaft.

20. So I have replaced the plastic throttle linkage connectors with steel/nylon ones and that seems much better. There is a bit of wear in the vertical throttle body shaft. There is a sleeve in there which could be machined out and replaced but with some careful adjustment, there is little or no slop. If it proves tricky to set up then that will be the course of action. Everything including the tank is in the paint shop now so won't be able to run again for a couple of weeks. So on with the small bits that need tidying. Airbox noise panels, steering damper, etc etc. As always suggestions are always welcome but bear in mind that this is not a down to the washer rebuild. Its for practicality and usability.

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information