1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT My Desmo Service At 35.500 Km (22.058 Mi) - 2000 Euro

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Nov 17, 2018.

?
  1. Too much, get another dealer

2. As to be expected for a Desmo + special requirements

3. I dunno (dont have a DVT, havent had a desmo still, etc...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yep. Definitely oil.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. My 2015 DVT had it's Desmo service earlier this year. It cost £980 (of which £600 was labour), and was done by an independent ex-duc mechanic (just outside Glasgow. PM if you want his details). That included a chain and front sprocket, a K&N air filter, and 4 shims. The bike feels a lot better.

I can't fault his attention to detail. The bike came back immaculate and ACT50 treated thrown in for free!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thx a lot man, but a little bit too far for me? :p:D

4. Its in and the lead mechanic (I suppose) and staff were very apologetic.
    And he even brought me to the workbench asap to show me the internals.

Belts were clean indeed, no oil, so the leak was limited to that one spot.
    They have to change 2 rubber parts, from wich one was not in stock, that is why I had this replacement bike.
    Superduke GT 175 hp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They let me choose whatever I wanted (that was free)

He did told me, its not the first time this happened, its a know "issue"
    Seems to be a part that seals difficulty....

Other than that, I told em to TAKE YOUR TIME!!!  

Kinda glad the way they handled it to be honest...

#24 Riko, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  5. That's the mark of a good dealer; takes ownership of a complaint and ensures that the customer is happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. since it was a desmo service they will have had the rocker covers off. These are fitted with grey gasket sealer on both sides of the rubber gasket now, and I would suggest this is where yours is leaking from.
    I would be surprised if the rubber gaskets actually needed changing if they put them back on with sealer, maybe they didnt bother.
    The alternative would be the green O rings under the retaining bolts, but that would give a leak in a different place imo.

7. well if I did pay attention, lol, he was not talking about the seal that failed between the main engine case and the camcover, but about a seal + rubber ring part that acts as a seal behind the part I marked in green, a part that drives the belts

It seems to be something that closes the internals of the engine from the outside world.

Luckely the oil leak was limited to a certain section of the engine so that it never reached the belts themselves....

(last 2 pics are not from a DVT engine, I think)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Correct, as far as I understood, that O ring wasnt in stock and had to be replaced...
    And around that o-ring sealing had to be applied? Not sure.
    But the oil didnt reach the belt area at all.

Dunno if that all made sense :)

9. New update!
    Unfortunately a not so cool update because I eventually ended up with the same bombastic loaner bike Supderduke :cool:

So I got a phone call, much faster than expected, because the needed parts already came in from a previous order, so I could pick up my Multi, the oil leak should be solved.
    Than I got ready to ride off, and after a few meters I got a yellow engine light :confused:

Luckely I just had to turn around to come back, and that was already 30 minutes before closing time o_O

I'm gonna give my dealer kuddos :upyeah:
    They've worked for more than an hour to try and find the problem, well after closing hours...
    Majority of the workers already started the weekend, but the head mechanic was even phoned and he came asap to join the understaffed crew of 2 men, but all that didnt work out for my bike.

The coupled it to the diagnose tool, lifted it on the workbench and did some rides, but no quick fix as it turns out.
    [​IMG]

Propably a purely electronic problem, perhaps a sensor?
    But after some tinkering the engine light only came on above 7000rpms, so it would have something to do with the DVT system...a system similar to Honda's VTec, only VTec did not kick in yo :yum

So yeah, they did everything they could at that short time period to fix an unexpected funky italian electronics issue, but without succes.

So now I'm gonna put things into perspective, chill, be patient and rely on the certainty that once I will get a perfectly working Multi :)

10. Pain in the arse when it happens but good to see a dealer stepping up, how did you find the ktm?

11. yeah, impressive bike, I think, I've only ridden 4 times 28 miles on the freeway, back and forth to the dealers.

Takeovers were impressive in high gears, sound is amazing for a stock pipe and windprotection sucks hard
    But seating position is better than expected.

But I dont like the look

12. Yep, your last reply to me made sense. I think they all get sealer added to them.

Sounds to me like they forgot to plug one of the cam sensors or the valve/actuator in.
    Since it didnt really go anywhere I'm sure they will get it fixed pretty quickly. Fingers crossed for you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. if the whole oil leak thingie got resolved, is still to be seen, because I haven't had the bike yet since the "yellow engine light issue" a very typical Ducati inconvience :)
    I assume they would have seen it by now since the bike has a prolonged stay at the dealers :innocent:

And I am not so surprised the yellow light happened right after a (big) service, as long as the bike leaves me alone for the rest of the time, I can live with these inconveniences. :)
    Dunno how or why it would happen, and neither are they, but not so surprised :)

To be continued :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I think that is the same part that failed on my 2017 dvt when new. 200 miles on clock. Fixed it once then still leaked took it back & after about 2 weeks got bike back. 8000 miles later no problems. Cob & jager. They were great. I had loan bike till fixed. They even put extras on bike to say sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. if its really the same part, this is a confirmation that its kinda a weak point in that it needs extra attention in that area...

ps: I assume it would help fellow countrymen of yours, but for me, telling the dealers name wont make a difference ;)

16. Yesterday the bike was finished and picked her up today

Knock on wood, but so far so good!

Reason for the engine light is that when the oil leak was repaired, the belts had not been tightened enough the 2nd time, which in turn caused the dvt system to send out incorrect signals because it is electronically monitored.

Bit similar to the vtec system from Honda.

• Like Like x 1
  17. All this electrickery, it's no good I tell ya, no good :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. You were wise to turn around then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 1 week back in possession, and no oil leak.

But the oillevel has dropped drastically, and I do not know the cause!
    Because after 638km since the oil change and the last time I picked up the bike I had to top up with 350ml, the level had dropped to just above the bottom line, and I dont know the cause. :astonished:

In any case, I have kept an eye on the former leak area, and although there are no big oil drops, I find small suspicious damp spots on the plastic part where the former oil leak used to be.
    On the left you see the damped spot around the edges, and right after cleaning:
    [​IMG]

And yes, I've cleaned it several times, and after a day or so, the place gets moist again.
    I tried this process several times in the last week and the moisture keeps coming back...
    So I fear that my Duc is not completely oil-free :confused:

Dealer is aware, and the only thing I'm going to do now is to keep an eye on it, both in terms of oil loss and oil consumption.

My feeling is this: paranoia.
    Very sad.

I have driven a total of 420km back and forth for my major maintenance, of which 250km were actually due to the oil leak & a yellow light.
    And apparently its still not over.

These are those moments that I feared for riding an Italian motorcycle.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information