1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Engines Got To Come Out And Be Split

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Felstmiester, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Comfy. Question for u. I know u will know the answer. I want to get my swinging arm powder coated. The bearings looked in really good condition when I took the engine out. Can they be removed along with anything else and re used?

2. Felst, i only use the clutch to pull away & stop, like you, having mastered clutchless blipping downshifts with a Pantah when racing many moons ago. I think you have just been unlucky, the bike can take it for sure.

#42 HYPERBIMDUKE, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. Ironically i never got mine coated (it was in pretty good nick at the time)and the engine costs were spiralling..! However even if you could i believe there are needle roller bearings....and they aint coming out in one piece....well ive never got a set out in one piece (destroyed the ones in my zed's swing arm a few months back!!) :)

4. I am that unlucky 1100S owner who's engine went pop. Not sure exactly what happened and I will start another thread as I could do with some advice on how the remove the engine from the frame. Initial inspection indicates that something locked up in the engine and then ripped to shreds the timing belt for the front cylinder. the plugs from the front cylinder look ok but the plugs from the back cylinder are mangled, so I suspect the problem started there.

5. Iggy. I only took my engine out a couple of weeks ago so if you need any help feel free to message me on here

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks Felstmiester much appriciated.

7. Just an update. For those who are ever in my boat.
    Decided to take some bits off today that I’m going to get powder coated.
    Started stripping the swinging arm down. Everything has been a breeze to take apart up until now. But the bolt inside the swinging arm that holds the shock and link is never coming out. The threaded nut on the side that’s not recessed came off with no trouble at all. From what I’ve read and seen ( cheers lamb chop ) the bolt should then tap through. Mine won’t even turn!! So it looks like this is a no go as there is no way of even cutting it to release the shock. I’d be happy to source a new bolt and do this but I can’t see how it could be done. Boooo

3B74B444-96A2-4F02-A2B8-2942A0595FDA.jpeg

8. This bastard has put a spanner in the works!

74164FD9-1FDB-4CEB-A84B-3FB2CCA2AA71.jpeg

9. Try putting the nut back on half way & whacking it, wd 40 every where, hot air gun the region too.

10. I’m a bit worried about hammering it to hard in case it fractures the swing arm.

11. Very unlikely, remember your hitting the bolt along its axis trying to shear the corrosion, it'll go.

12. IT WORKED!! Your a star mate! I literally broke 2 extension bars trying to turn it to free it up! Now the next hurdle is getting the bearings out the pivot end. :weary_face::weary_face:

4F89F203-1B2D-45B1-B387-841070285A62.jpeg

13. Good news, i changed my bearing in 2014 but dont remember how i removed them, what i do remember is the lh roller had totally disintegrated & the top hat bush that acts as the inner race was 130 from Ducati so i had one turned out of hardened steel, still going 30k later,

14. After a lot of thought I’ve decided to swerve the swing arm powder coating idea. All the bearings and bushes in mine are like brand new and think it’s just going to be a waste of time and more so money to go this route.
    I will however have a good clean and re grease everything. Also as I’ve now removed the shock I have removed the spring. I’m looking at either having this powder coated yellow again as the original powder coat has flaked in places. Or maybe a new replacement??

15. If its apart and the spring isnt right for you then get another one otherwise get it recoated...i would say....

16. Oh yeah - something to note....when you put the shock back in the swingarm theres a gap inside...be really careful as if you loose the bolt in there - thats it....its gone....ill happily admit....ive done this...

17. I noted this as I watched one of Chops vids the other day. He mentions you Confy , saying that you gave him this tip. He made a point of being very careful so it stuck in my head. Guess what happened though lol. Lost the extension bar in there. Luckily when I took the hub out I managed to shake it out

18. Another idea been spinning round my head is to maybe get a smallish parts washer. As most of the bike is in various boxes in bits covered in crap would it be worth while? Or I could just put some truck wash in a big bucket and get scrubbing?

19. I have to admit i lost a 8mm hex bit inside the swingarm, it stayed in fo a year until i stripped & greased the rear hub bearings. I since bought a 100mm long 8 hex...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information