1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Mv

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by ibgarrow, Aug 8, 2018.

1. I've had mine 16 years. Over the years I have fitted a manual switch for the Fans
    A third fan
    As I have got older and the riding position more painful I fitted adjustable bars and rear sets that move the pegs back and lower
    If you go on the MV site and search "well nut disaster" you will be changing them
    Also change the quick release fittings on the tank for metal ones.
    The back brake suffers from heat because of where the reservoir is. I fitted mine under the seat and the brake has worked fine ever since

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Thanks @higgy748
    I gather the well nuts fall into the intake! Will change these this winter, along with the tank connections, as I plan to have the fairings off and re-done.
    Do your adjustable bars give any more lock? I find manoeuvring a real pain, literally too, due to the thumbs.
    I might move the rear brake reservoir too. Easy to do?
    Third fan? I read a 1098 fan would fit, but haven't looked further.
    The rear brake feels like it needs a seal kit, as it feels very soft.
    Might take the down pipes off and see if I can get them ceramic coated, to cut down the heat.

3. https://www.performanceparts.de/en/...ith-variable-crank-MV-Agusta-F4-750-1000.html
    These are the bars that I have on mine.
    I don't have trouble trapping my hands. I have added some aluminium extensions like bar end wieghts to lengthen the bars. That's because I fitted extra switches on the to turn the fans on and off. So they are not only flat
    I know the very first MV's had a single radiator but they quickly modified it to add the smaller second radiator. They made kits for owners to add the second one.
    Top main radiators are like rocking horse poo but the lower ones seem common.
    I've found that if I'm heading for congestion switching the fans on early does the job

• Like Like x 1
  4. 7CB88B0B-A92A-46C0-BA61-CC1F73246C7C.jpeg Just thought i’d Check the tyre date
    Does this mean they’re from 2004?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes, late Feb 04. Probably past their best though depends on storage. I for one would be changing those.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. That's what I thought! They'll be getting changed, then.

7. Congratulations on the MV aquisition .................. enjoyed the 750 I owned a while back and echo previous comments. A wonderful piece of motorcycle history/art and loved to go everywhere at speed. Did a 700 + mile round trip to Norfolk and a Snetterton track day in between, seemed to go pretty quick down the (old) Snetterton straight with over 150 on the clock which was probably nearer 140 in real money, plenty fast enough for me. Driving to and from the track I spent most of the trip thinking about speed limits and my licence as the MV just wanted to go faster everywhere.

Make sure the fan is working and stop if it doesn't cut in when it should - the fuse goes and then your engine will pop if you ignore temp gauge. snetterton 154.jpg Happily I stopped and changed the fuse in time...............

If you want to try some footrest plates I have a nice set in my spares cupboard (£30 + postage ?)- they provided a little more leg room on the standard seating position and bolted straight on. I may have sourced them from the aformentioned performance shop that shall never be mentioned anymore but they did arrive and worked fine ! Can't imagine I will ever use them. See happy days picture - sorry no bins on track at Snetterton ....though other opinions are available.

Patrick

8. Thanks for the offer, Patrick. I'll pass on it at the moment. Bits are pricey and I've just ordered service items that hit this month's "bike budget" hard! 10W60 oil?!

9. Noted, just post me a message if the budget and inclination agree ! I am unlikely to register them on fleabay or similar at present.
    MV was reliable other than the fan fuse blowing once, I think I had the engine running roughly for a short while but the MV dealer in Exeter sorted it without too much pain to my wallet - changed the a plug or plug lead as best I can remember.

Patrick

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have spoken with Ian since his purchase and decided now would be a good time to get an early F4, been looking in the usual places recently but nothing grabbed my attention.
    So, just to put it out there. If anyone has a F4, knows of one or spits one for sale. Please free to pm me with details.
    All help greatly appreciated.

11. Out of interest do
    You know what sort of prices the f4’s are fetching these days?
    I think my 312 r and all other bikes may have to be sold if I move back
    To oz.
    Cheers

12. There seems to be quite a disparity between the prices for F4’s. I have a friend who paid sub 4K for his bike, but will need to spend to bring it back up to scratch. I was watching one on eBay with a starting bid of £3000, but was very unoriginal. Twin Arrow exhausts instead of the quadruple pipes. Wheels were wrong colour. The list goes on. But he decided not to sell just yet.
    Others are being advertised between £5-5500 and hanging around for ages.
    Obviously it all depends on originality, condition, mileage and how quickly the seller wants it sold.

13. To be fair I think some folk looking into purchasing an MV, do succeed in insulting owners by making the assumption that having advertised a bike, it means it absolutely has to be sold, rather than perhaps it is merely available.

These are mine, sadly the R312 was hit in June rather hard and I am a bit broken. I haven't got it back yet but it isn't well apparently. The RR312 I've never used, it's been in a corner with a sheet over it since the day it was delivered, started up once, then the battery was removed and bike put away.

20180421_135612.jpg 20180421_135612.jpg WP_20140125_17_20_50_Pro.jpg
    The R312 is quite something, you can just tell it's cam'd and lightened as soon as it's ridden, the cacophony of sound changing as each step of rpm comes along, even on a balanced throttle, the slightest input just transmits an urgent signal to the engine, that in fourth gear that can bring the front up as the bike comes on the cam higher up, still becoming more urgent. A bike that needs 100 miles just to make friends with, and then you're away.

My RR was eventually registered just to keep it away from new rules, so it has a 66 plate lying around somewhere, wasn't worth fitting it. Someone else can after they've parted with at least £25k whenever that will be ;O)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’ve got open pipes on my 312r. It scares women and children just at 4000 rpm but when
    She hits
    The big numbers it’s a proper assault on your senses. The revs just keep climbing showing
    No sign of giving up until finally you change gear.
    As for value wise I haven’t got a clue what it’s worth

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Supplementary Question:
    Any forum member with an F4 750: I'm looking for the size (with and height) of the MV logos on the nose and tail units.

I'm having the nose and tail resprayed, meaning replacing these. Bennetts say they can't get them. Overseas vendors will cost me lots in p&p. Aftermarket ones are smaller, but I don't know the OEM size (mine may have been replaced in the past)

Current ones are 72mm X 47mm
    Aftermarket ones are 50mm X 30mm

If you can help with the size on your 750, it would give me a hand on how to go ahead.
    Thanks

16. If anybody needs a genuine MV paddock stand let me know as recently sold my MV .

17. Or just the pin for an R&G one, contact me :D

18. Ooh are we posting pics of our MVs? Go on then... 20180925_165843.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information