1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Slicks!

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by LiveFast......, Mar 9, 2020.

1. These arrived today! Can’t wait to try them!

I’m so happy - it think i might develop a rubber fetish! :D:D:D:D

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. I find them much more stable than even the best road tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You need to try better road tyres then ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cool 'ain't they

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Went from Michelin Power RS to Michelin slicks and noticed an immediate improvement.
    Possibly they aren't the best road tyres available, but I speak as I find.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The receptionist at work thought so when they arrived - maybe not! :joy:

The amount of bike parts I have delivered they think I’m smuggling one in through the post!

• Like Like x 2
  7. That I'd agree with, but Michelin slicks are a world away from CompK's.

8. I hope / expect to notice a difference between these and the stock Diablo Rosso Corsa - otherwise whats the point?

9. My remark wasn't aimed at you, CompKs are good but some of the treaded options are better, like the Bridgestonr R11s that Bob Collins was running 48s at Brands on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not much tread on them, are they new :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. No apology necessary @Dibble - no offence taken.

I know they are are budget option - from what I have read the recent version is pretty good - not as ultimately sticky as the top end slicks - but will last long and stay consistent for longer.

I’m also limited in my choices as I want to stick with the 180/60 stock tyre size to keep the quick turning characteristics of the 959.

I’m genuinely hoping to see a big difference in how quickly they drop in and greater lean angles than the stock tyres.

From everything I have read tyre choice can be a very personal thing as not everyone has the same riding style - so i’m always open to hear different opinions from more experienced riders.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I knew the price was too good to be true - must have been factory seconds! :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. @LiveFast...... that's cool and I am sure you will, i ran a couple of sets, don't aim for huge lean angles, aim to get them stood up early and you can get on the power harder and faster, chasing bigger lean angles will see you in the gravel and no one wants that lol

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I spoke to Bob last week to order my VO2's and he said he was going to race on the R11's because of the temperature. Didn't slow him down much! Impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob's a legend ...

16. The new Comp k is getting very good reviews.
    I'm just back from Almeria, a chap in our garage was on a set and getting in the low 1.50's, following him around there was zero issues with grip or lean.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. They are same compound as SC road-type tyres. Is that now the Rosso corse??

Nothing wrong with them, and last well compared to most other slicks.

they moved too much for me but my mate took them off me and raced for 3 weekends on them.

18. I wouldn't be expecting MASSIVE time improvement overnight. Most of us humans lap times are more dependant on balls/skill than the limits of the rubber.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not going to jump on the bike and expect immediate gains.

Everything is iterative and I want this to be a learning process - after the 4 track days last year I realised that I wanted a dedicated track bike so I have been building 1 over the winter.

The combined changes are going to make it a very different bike so initially it will be a shakedown and setup day followed by my usual method of increasing the pace on a corner / corner complex basis until I feel i’m getting it right.

I don’t think any of the modifications will give an immediate massive reduction in lap times - but the combination will open up the possibly of improvement beyond that of the stock bike and hopefully make it easier to ride.

At some point I’ll post a thread - I have been weighing everything that comes of and in the bike down to the last gram so for those of you that like pictures of bike bits on scales it will be a real treat! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Have you also been weighing the donuts, biscuits, crisps and beers that are getting back on it ??? lol .... and sounds like you have a good plan :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information