1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Tt

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by dazthephot, May 10, 2022.

1. So the time has come to tick this box. The bike is run in and first service done, tickets and accom sorted so time to build some nerves!

what tip would you give if any? What would you avoid at all costs? What’s a vital part of your prep?

im going with some stalwarts of the TT but I’d just like to be prepped.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lucky you ! well done.

I took a Fireblade there in 2017 and I wished the suspension had been set up properly as it was too harsh and bumpy - going quicker than normal and being bounced around on harsh suspension was not good. I did not even know how to adjust it properly.

Second time round on the R1 was better sorted.

Not sure what bike you are taking and maybe if it has electronic suspension this is not a problem any more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thread moved

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pick your campsite carefully, ride at your own pace, do not speed in the towns and villages.

If you camp consider renting a pre set up tent at a football pitch as they have loads of showers and flat pitches.

Douglas is noisy, Peel is quieter, try and ride to the parts of the island that are not on the circuit. Braddan church has home cooked food, seating and clean toilets. There are loads of places to spectate but make sure you go somewhere with facilities

#4 ymfb, May 10, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Avoid racing anyone with Manx plates; You will have no chance lol! Just go at your own pace and enjoy it. Let the idiots do their thing. There is no prize money or trophies for us mere mortals !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Post / Courier a box with clothes,shoes etc. to your accom if they will handle it and the return collection.
    Take waterproofs with you everywhere unless the forecast is categorically perfect, then take them anyway to sit on.
    Get a pair of eyes fitted in your arse for riding over the mountain, there will ALWAYS be someone faster/dafter than you trying to get past - check out the David Jefferies Mad Sunday video on youtube.
    Watch from Gorselea & Hillberry but get there EARLY, also Conker Trees and Kates Cottage more space and a bit of a hike up from the Creg respectively.
    Know where the access road is and know alternative routes to get around in case of unscheduled road closures - there will be incidents!
    Don't exceed the speed limits - about 15 years ago it was £150.00 for up to 15mph over theposted limit "then it gets expensive" as I was told by an officer who had his device set on 74.9mph (I was doing a bit more than that).
    That's all I can think of for now, having been to every TT since '95 I've seen most things including the overnight accomodation in Nobles Hospital.
    PS if you know anyone looking for a ferry ticket for Bike n Rider PM Me on here before I throw it back to the Steam Packet Company?

#6 98 SPS, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Remember the mountain is one way

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Just don't be a ‘tit’ the island will be full to brimming with them for the two weeks. When the roads are closed they really are closed so pick your spectating spot well as your basically stuck there for the duration.

• Like Like x 2
  9. All great tips above.
    My viewing tips would be the church at bradden bridge (great tea and cakes too) the creg and hillberry (you can get tkts for the last two spots in advance ).
    Just make sure you hear them coming down bray hill too at least once!!
    And stay safe :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sound advice that but I would go as far as to say don't race anyone. I went over on my Multi 4 years ago. Got to the gooseneck and a guy on a ZX10 wanted to race me. Now I did not ride like an idiot, I know my own limits. I could see the guy catching me in a straight line but he always got lost on the corners. He passed my on his back wheel on the run down to the Creg.

We both stopped there and he looked a little miffed and being spanked by a multi. We got chatting and once I told him I had lived there for 30 years and passengered the TT six times he was slightly happier about the situaton...lol.

But honestly, don't race anyone, do your own thing and have a cracking time.

I'm going over for a week in July for the Southern 100, the race that finally ended me racing. Thought I might have a look at Church Bends and see how it should be done.

One fiinal point. The road between upper Foxdale to the South of the Island know as The Sloc has been resurfaced in recent years and it really smooth. The trouble is, people have discovered this and are using it like an unofficial race track. It is 100% worth riding and the views are spectacular, but be very careful on the road.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oh yeh, I remember another, watch out for the mobile speed traps as you head away from the Creg down towards Brandish, it’s a good money maker for the Island.

#11 Drinky, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Some great advice above, well worth taking heed of. I'll add a few tips, some are repeats but worth it....

Ride within yourself
    Early laps are quietest but the fast lads are out then too
    Get to any spot early
    Don't race anybody
    USE YOUR MIRRORS
    Watch your speed in towns
    There's much more to it than the mountain, ride sulby glen, coast road and the sloc

Good spots....
    Conker trees
    Barregarrow crossroads (on the farm side)
    Barregarrow bottom (limited space)
    Glen duff council yard (hard parking, toilet, council canteen)
    Anywhere on the mountain
    Morown chapel
    Creg ny baa

You'll have a blast and definitely want to go back, I've been going for 32 years now, I'm addicted.

I don't sweat it too much for facilities, I take drinks and butties and don't mind being trapped. Ride the course and stop at various spots, check them out for a day in the hedgerows.

Enjoy, and I'll see you on the island

• Like Like x 4
  13. Brilliant, thanks guys, i knew i'd come to the right place for advice. There's so much shit running round my head right now about it but i'm certainly looking forward to it.

14. Taking my new Bayliss mate, it's got full Ohlins and i haven't touched the setup. I guess i'll find out pretty quickly how good it is (that's if i can actually tell the difference from previous suspensions!)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thank you.

16. @H2pots (Marown Chapel) if you mean Marown Church Hall next door to the vicar's house on the right before Crosby, I reckon it has been sold.
    Shame as it was a cracking elevated spot on a fast corner (180 mph from some of the on bike videos I have seen) with toilets, food, shade and wet weather shelter.

17. Don't stop in Ramsey on your first lap and soften the suspension because your eyeballs are bouncing out of their sockets from the rough road after Ballaugh, you want it firm for the mountain section.

• Like Like x 1
  18. St Ninian's Crossroads

Rutter the legend !

upload_2022-5-12_20-41-43.png

• Like Like x 2
  19. No, morown chapel is across the road from the church you mention. I've watched from there many years ago, the church was great but (you're correct) now sold

20. Not sure if Italian bike night is on in port erin this year, anybody got any info?

Worth a look on a summer night

Do Not Sell My Personal Information