1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mate Roger Is The Biggest Nutter I Know..... In 1984 .....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Exige, Aug 30, 2015.

1. .....I bought a Series 1 Daimler Jag for £300 at a local car auction with the intention of selling it after bleeding the brakes for around £600.

Roger offered to help (but in no way does this particular story have anything to do with Roger been mad, it's just a sensible tale of woe). Roger is an exceptional bike restorer when it comes to detail - he had just finished a beautiful Honda 500 four total strip and rebuild.

I parked up at the end of his dads driveway (about 10 yards from his dads garage) he jumped in the drivers seat, I jumped in the passengers, 'how bad are they?' he said.

Me: Bad

Him, rev, foot down, go for the brakes, missed the brakes all within 10 yards.

The stench of petrol from his dads Allegro is pungent and mingles with the dusty atmosphere - the garage floor is swimming in petrol as his dads petrol tank was full.

After the crescendo of noise there was such an aerie silence..... Roger looks at me, I look at him - all he says is: 'Shit' in a fairly low yet very calm voice.......

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG

We then set off to meet Rogers dad who was a lecturer at the local technical college just round the corner, he was due home for lunch (he had been a naval architect in his career). We met him just round the corner, Roger went into an exited panic telling his dad we had had an accident.

His dad said 'Roger, calm down, your both OK so it can't be that bad, just calm down, he rounded the corner - his eyes widened, then he laughed :D

Rogers 500 Four was totalled and he re built it again.

Rogers dad got another car - he also had an original CBX6 Honda which luckily was kept in the dining room.

Rogers dads garage needed extensive repairs, as did his house as the garage was attached - the house cracked all the way up the wall to the upstairs - all the way to the eves of the house in fact.

I sold the Jag the week after with it's minimal damage for the £300 I had paid for it.

Life was good in 1984...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Em accidents still happens !!

My customer called me one morning last year, Dave can you come and help me, I've had an accident, so I jump in my van to the customers house to find this .
    [​IMG]
    On the particular morning my customer went into the garage to start the car as the battery was a bit flat, he sat there revving the tits off the car (so I'm told by the gardener) and shouted to the gardener can you open the garage doors up, inside the garage was now covered in smoke and the car was not visible, the gardener went on to say the nxt he heard was the wheels spinning and the car was doing a burnout and then shot forward through the wall and landed 200 yrds in the flower beds. Somehow my customer hit the column change and put it in D, he still says he's not sure what happened ! every panel on the car was fooked and it was written off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think he improved the Allegro.
    My brother had one. An 1100 in brown. I think they were the slowest cars ever made.

4. Nope, that would be my Hillman Imp, in Regency Green and rust....

5. You'd think at 45 years, old you clowns would have been a bit more sensible...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You should have been picketing with the miners and that wouldn't have happened, life wasn't good in 1984.

7. Earned the name All-aggro from a couple of owners I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. You should have tried earning a living from 'em , worst car Leyland ever turned out, beginning of the end for 'em.

9. I thought every vehicle they made was the worst..
    Worst of the worst is saying something;!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Was it the square steering wheel version and if so, did the bump knock it round?

11. That would put me as old as PortlyBoy and you only 3 years behind :eek:

12. Can't remember such detail, it was so long ago even Chiz was just a Chimpanzee :thinkingface:

13. My mate had one. One day there was a heavy hailstorm. No shitting, some of the hailstones penetrated the bonnet as it was so rusty.
    It improved the look of the car TBH

14. I thought these were alright!
    [​IMG]

15. still run circles around you fvckin fossil..:skull:

16. Calm doon :)

17. well, its enough to give an asshole an earache

18. Ya joking ain't ya? That's the p76 ain't it?
    Possible the worst thing to come out of Australia. . And that is a HUGE call ..
    Certainly the worst v8 ever . Rover shit. ..

19. You have earache?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. yeah, got piles in 'em.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information