1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 My New 998 Project

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by number9, Oct 9, 2020.

1. #21 Shorty4045, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. #22 Shorty4045, Nov 24, 2020
  3. It's hard to tell for sure without pulling the subframe off the bike, but that looks like what I have. I even have the rubber protectors (sleeves?) and the little tabs for the wellnuts.

Are these the correct brackets for the cans? My last superbike was a 748SP in 2004 and I don't remember what the brackets look like.

IMG_8810.JPG

If I look at this parts diagram, part #6 looks absolutely nothing like what I have. Mine looks like a cheaply-machined piece of Nylon or Delrin and some rattle can black.

4. upload_2020-11-24_16-6-21.png
    should look like this mate

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks mate. If you have time, would you mind measuring the distance on your bike between the bolt in the subframe and the bolt in the can strap? I wonder if that's my problem: mine is too short, so the exhaust sits too high, so the bracket won't fit...

It looks a bit Heath Robinson right now, and is ~$55 for all new bits. I'm going to remove the subframe anyway at some point to get rid of the red paint.. I'll powdercoat it either grey (to match the frame) or black (to match whatever wheels I end up with).

#25 number9, Nov 24, 2020
  6. IMG_0484.JPEG IMG_0485.JPEG IMG_0486.JPEG IMG_0487.JPEG IMG_0488.JPEG

i have this one off a 996 i'm currently trying to clean up, hopefully the pics are ok but let me know if you want any other measurements :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  7. and obviously all in millimeters, none of these american imperials round ere ;)

8. I'm actually Australian so I measured mine in mm:

IMG_8811.JPG

It looks like it needs to go up by ~2cm with new brackets. Is there that much flex in the system to allow the pipes to move that much? I guess I can just whip the brackets off and see.

I'm also missing the fasteners that sit between the two cans (above the license plate bracket) and hold them together. Sigh...

• Like Like x 1
  10. They’ll definitely flex that much, if the angle of the subframe is ok then if anything they’re hanging low, are they snug in the collector box, collector box snug to lower pipes etc?

11. They seem to be snug down there yeah -- I didn't notice any exhaust leak the last time I fired it up.

The monoposto tail does not have any mounting tabs, so there's no way to fasten it to the subframe. That seems to mean that the undertray has no way to attach to the bike, so the PO has ziptied the undertray to the subframe.

12. They’re on the cans in your picture in post #13 you just need a nut & bolt to secure them, it’s M4 or 5 off the top of my head, about 15mm long.

13. Ah sorry mate, I meant that I didn't have the nut and bolt :D thankfully the straps are there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. What part(s) am I missing to hold down the rear brake line in place? It's not immediately clear to me from looking at the parts diagram.

IMG_9206.JPG

Also, what color should the ride height adjuster be from the factory?

15. There should be a chain guard mate with a runner to thread the brake line through

see the little hole by the bottom of your shock in the Swingarm, that’s where one end of it goes

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. You can zoom in mate.

FE07DF0F-0286-4BE1-9112-CA3E9E3185B7.jpeg

17. Got it, thanks! It looks like it's 446.1.002.1A.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've been busy with work so haven't gotten anything done lately. In today's issue of "previous owner shenanigans", I removed the aftermarket turn signal indicators (plastic LED rings mounted to the fork tubes!) and went to install the new OEM indicators. They're supposed to be installed here, right?

IMG_9510.JPG

It looks like the PO covered them in epoxy. Those tubes are a bit expensive new: close to $190 just for the outer halves from Ducati. I'll try a solvent first to see if I can dissolve it, but if it's actually epoxy I'll have to sand it off, drill the holes out, and then chase the threads. If that's the case I might just end up finding a used pair on eBay.

In other news, I've decided to powdercoat the wheels gold à la 998R. If anyone has a paint code for the powdercoat, please let me know! I'll also pull the subframe off (it's currently red) and get it cleaned up too. My bike was probably a biposto from the factory -- if you got a monoposto from the factory, would the subframe have been clear or would it have matched the main frame of the bike?

19. may be easier to get some carbon ones off ebay.

20. Buy them new mate (60€ a side) or second hand. The filter box are two separate pieces. See pics.

160F95F1-9111-45FC-88D5-2A39F322C9B8.png

CB96407C-4C6E-4262-B981-F6DAC38DF450.png

Do Not Sell My Personal Information