1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 My New 998 Project

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by number9, Oct 9, 2020.

1. I really like the look of the carbon ones, but a) they're a bit spendy and b) I don't know who makes good ones. o_O

I may have edited my post after you read it, but yeah they're about $90 per outer side. Not the end of the world, I guess..?

I haven't been able to find any decent-looking used OEM ones on eBay. Most of them are shite yet are 80% the price of new...

2. I'm in the process of getting rid of the old, dubious fork-mounted turn signals and are trying to reinstall the OEM ones.

Does anyone know where the factory wiring for the indicators is located? I tried tracing what the previous owner did but no luck yet.

IMG_9548.JPG

3. Congratulations beautiful bike... I follow your work with interest!

4. A bit more progress today. I removed the aftermarket turn signals and, to my pleasant surprise, the original bullet connectors were still in place. So the OEM indicators went back in easily:

IMG_9554.JPG

I went to replace this headlight wiring boot but it turns out the boots are different on each side of the headlight -- and I bought the wrong one. :rolleyes: Here is the old one:

IMG_9556.JPG

The other frustrating thing was that, when removing the headlight to get access the bucket, I managed to snap the plastic surround for the headlight. You can see the hairline crack here vertically between the two lamps:

IMG_9558.JPG

It's covered up by the front fairing, but I will probably try and epoxy it back together. I thought the plastic housing was a replaceable part, but looking at the parts fiche the headlight and housing is one big (expensive) unit.

#44 number9, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  5. I also managed to salvage these: it looks like they had been filled with wood putty (!). I drilled the putty out with a Dremel, then cleaned the threads with a M6x1.0 thread chaser.

Before:

IMG_9546.JPG

After:

IMG_9547.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. A few more updates from the last few days. Front indicators are on, wired, and working. These were spares that came with the bike:

IMG_9597.JPG

(Yes, I know the fastener holding the nose fairing to the headlight bucket is wrong. It's the little things...)

The exhaust is now attached to the rear subframe with the correct fasteners, though I probably should have cleaned the undertray first:

IMG_9592.JPG

Undertray wiring mostly cleaned up:

IMG_9593.JPG IMG_9594.JPG

Rear turn signals attached and working. The license plate bracket is new OEM and turn signals are new OEM; license plate light came with the bike but doesn't work. The bulb doesn't look blown, and it's getting ~10.5V across the two terminals, but it doesn't come on. Weird. Also note the correct fastener and nut holding the two cans together: it's the little things :)

IMG_9596.JPG

I do have one question, though. Is this brake light housing factory? The reason I ask is that you can see it has a small license plate bracket on it, visible both in the picture above and a close-up below:

IMG_9595.JPG

I don't remember my 748SP having that little bracket, but that was ~15 years ago now (!)

7. That’s for the rear reflector. The number plate holder fixes underneath the undertray using the three holes

8. Got it, thanks! It's, um, quite ugly. And I have no real desire to put a reflector there...

9. There are worse things. :)

D78E4FDB-BA62-439D-A489-649AF4DC3A9E.jpeg

Get one of these on. The police love them!

10. That looks pretty good! At some stage I might end up springing for clear indicators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. And the battery just died :rolleyes:

Ordered a replacement Yuasa YT12B-BS from Amazon. I have a Deltran lithium battery in the HyperMotard, but it's over twice the price of a Yuasa and I don't ride the 998 much.

12. Replaced the left-hand side headlight cover, 52140081A, which recently became NLA from Ducati. Thankfully I found a smaller dealer in Massachusetts that had one in stock. You can see why I'm replacing it:

IMG_9950.JPG

While I had the headlight out, I added a small amount of plastic epoxy to keep the headlight assembly itself together: it has a fairly large crack that I will need to properly address some day.

I also tried -- unsuccessfully -- to replace the bulb in the temperature gauge. It was unsuccessful because I couldn't figure out how to get the gauge cluster out! I found the one bolt (obscured in this picture) at the "bottom" of the cluster, but I couldn't see any others.

IMG_9951.JPG

Last but not least, I couldn't figure out how to remove the windshield from the front fairing. The screws that secure the windshield down have corroded slightly, and none of my hex keys seem to fit? The 1.5mm is too small & the 2mm is too big; the 1/16" is too small and the 5/64" is too big. I only managed to get one of the screws out; I was too worried I'd strip the rest so I stopped.

What size are they supposed to be?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Special. Your tool kit should have had a small right angled tool in it. I bought a workshop tool, just need to get into the garage and find a part number. I’ll ket you know. Andy

14. I didn't get a toolkit with the bike :(

I have a Torx set somewhere. Maybe one of those would fit?

Looks like the factory toolkit is 69720131A and $65 new or so.

#54 number9, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  15. It’s a small Torx. The second smallest or there abouts

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. To get the gauge cluster out, there’s a nut right inside the headlight bucket. You have to approach it from inside and below. It may be hidden by the wiring.

17. You're right! The good news is I found a T7 Torx screwdriver and got all the screw out. The bad news is every single wellnut is perished.. do you happen to know the size of the wellnut that I need to use? The Ducati parts manual just lists the screw/washer/wellnut as a single assembly.

18. Pretty sure they’re M4. I might have an old one kicking about which I could check if needed...
    Just seen they’re M4

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. In other news, I ordered a white number board (front and rear) set from Italy a few months ago. Now that I've got the windshield off, I can install it. But I just realized that I bought the wrong style. This is the shape that I got, albeit mine is pure white:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the white goes all the way up past the mirrors to the back of the fairing. Oops! This is the type I wanted:

[​IMG]

I will probably re-paint the bike at some point, at which time I will have the number boards painted on correctly. In the meantime, I decided I'll just buy a new one that's the right shape, like this one, and pick up some windshield bolts and wellnuts to go with it.

#59 number9, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  20. I bought a Draper TX-Star, size T7. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information