1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My St3

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by PerryL, Aug 2, 2021.

1. As explained to the point beyond boredom, my ST3 hasn't been run for over 2years 8 months. For some reason (boredom probably) I put in fresh petrol and started it tonight. For a 13 year-old bike, not bad. Started first time on no throttle and no choke. I gave it a bit of choke to get a good tick over going.

It smoked like a bastid but I am not worried. When I had the plugs out, I was injecting in neat oil and leaving it for a bit and then spinning the engine with no plugs in. I kept this up for a week and so there is loads of oil about . Looking at the sight glass and it is well full. I don't want to do and oil change just yet but I'll see if I can find a way to syphon out some oil - maybe through the oil filler cap. It run quietly ( mechanically) but has Ducati Performance exhausts and so, in my garage, it is fecking loud! But, mechanically, sounds fine.

Although I had the garage door and the side door, open, I forgot that there is a mains-powered smoke alarm in the garage. Set that off!

Next step is to find somewhere to put the horn (I may even buy a replacement Ducati bracket for the one that broke), tidy up the battery wiring and then wheel it outside when the nice weather returns and give it a really good run to annoy the neighbours,

So that bike is my keeper, definitely, but I keep changing my mind about my reward bike. First one was Ducati Supersport S, then KTM Duke R and now Yamaha MT09 SP. basically, I have no idea.

My solicitor got back to me and told me to calm down. This is all a very new experience for me, but my sol is untroubled. I know she is waiting to see if I get my driving license back, but I despair that Hastings Insurance are not being made to suffer more. Maybe my solicitor knows that the only way to hurt them (legally) is financially and my day will come.

And then there is the BMW F900 XR reward bike option as well. Problems, problems!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. I have not owned a Jap bike for years, but the Tracer GT does intrigue me. And I will experience an Ohlins shock finally!
    upload_2021-8-2_20-47-22.png

3. Perry a huge well done on getting the bike running! How is the other one coming along, have you put it back together?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I have done nothing to the ST2. I need to sort out the horn on the ST3 and refit the bodywork. Lastly. I need to suss out the mirrors. I don't know if they are broken or have come off their mountings because that is by design after a thump.

When I've finished the ST3, I will start on the ST2. That one was off the road when I had my accident in 2019. I was measuring the valve clearances. I can't find where I made a note but I will re-measure and log them, but I won't bother adjust. I will just leave a note of them under the seat. The ST2 will be my part-ex bike for whatever I get. That is why I am not going to bother re-shim it. I'll offer it here first. Fowlers guessed at £1500 without seeing it. It probably will be £1000 here. It has hard panniers and I know it is a good tourer. I may always change my mind and just keep it, but I want it out if I get another bike. I want the space.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Perry, sounds like your having fun.
    have the mirrors completely detached from their mounts ?
    there are springs in the mounting arms which allow a bit of movement, but they can break.
    I had one of mine break when my bike was knocked over. I couldnt get a replacement spring so just bought a new mirror (not cheap !).

If your interested in unloading the panniers and mounts for the ST2 I could be interested ;)
    Cheers,
    John.

6. I just ordered a new horn bracket from Riders. I am now over £20 lighter and so my diet is going well! Ah, wrong pounds!

Apparently, my ST3 was amongst the last ever made, as mine is an 08 and they stopped in 07.

Riders couldn't help me with where the bracket goes. According their catalogue, it is part of the wiring harness!

If I ever manage to get my incense back, then I was going to go for a new Duke and keep the ST3 - the Y-reg ST2 was going to be the part-ex, but.........

As I now seem to be a dab-hand with "vintage" Ducatis, I am tempted to look out for older Ducatis, some of which have been advertised here, but I still want to part-ex the ST2, so a dealer may be more convenient. Or I could get it back together and MoT it and then try to sell it privately.

always wanted a 749 and did try one years ago at a Ducati day at Mallory Park. I don't remember anything passing me! Nice ride and light with enough grunt - well, for Mallory, but I suppose that is not saying much!

Brand new KTM, or 90's to Noughties Ducati? Nice problem to have...

7. And a quick browse of Autotrader for 749's and the dreaded, "future classic" appears in at least one ad. As in "pay well over the odds to us, sucker and then grip reality if you ever try to sell". Might be just easier to stick to original plan on getting a new 890 Duke R.

8. "A real investment opportunity, apparently" You are not allowed to use the words, "old nail" and so don't be impudent.
    upload_2021-8-5_16-19-10.png
    Values will rocket next week and so be quick!!!

And I thought that my garage was full of crap, but I am wrong. It is a treasure trove of future classics and not "old sh1t!", as a mate told me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. There is something rewarding about starting up the old ducs sounds like it’s renewing old passions there P :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information