1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Take On 996/1098 Mongrel Build!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. 1098 dash can be used and i would assume everything would be more plug and play without special eproms and dyno setup??

2. and I guess traction control if you had the dtc unit and sensors?

3. I never found the old mish mash performed very well and was a bastard to set up.
    1098 loom/ecu means I can flash ecu's with free s/w, TPS reset plus a few
    a few other bits. Or annoy poor ole ChrisW. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi Doogalman, just stumbled upon your thread, i'm new to this forum job ! In the process of putting a 999R motor in my 996, got the frame mods for the throttle bodies sorted, but am gonna need a 57mm at least system on it, do you know what diameter the 1098 system is and how much cutting and shutting did it need to get it where you needed it ? A nice big 998 race system would be ideal (changing the manifolds) but I'm gonna struggle finding one of them I reckon. Any help gratefully received from you or anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I am building it with just a stock system but will measure it in the morning.
    Hoping to get my cuts welded up over the weekend. Only the rear section i have cut as everything else fits other than one of the lamda plugs which is right under the swingarm. That will be moved incase it is needed at a later date, as the 996 ecu didn't need it.

#46 doogalman, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. The headers on my system are 52mm going up to 56mm where the pipes are linked then my silencers are 52mm as i am using my old cored tails of my 996. The only cuts are from where the 1 branches back out to 2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Airbox and injectors all sorted except a few nuts, bolts and connectors. image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Making a cf exhaust shield, a way from being finished yet image.jpg

9. Rad and oil cooler in place, so the v-piece is to do. image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Will that system be big enough for the larger motor? I think the 1098 runs a 60mm as std (not certain tho)

11. I've read so many different things Paul, so I am going with it and see how it all pans out once up n running and eventually dyno setup, will need to gain a power commander for that though.
    Not overly worried about flat out free flow of exhaust as a big chunk of my riding is road based so smaller pipework for greater low/midrange.
    Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  12. getting close dude! :Nailbiting:

13. Close , but we are uk bound Monday for the Christmas festivities so work will recommence in the new year. However i will be picking up some odds and ends while in the UK as some stuff is just so much easier there.

14. I found the breakers in Germany and Austria really good.

15. Yes i agree, i often order stuff from them. But it's stuff like silicone hoses other sundry stuff i still find easier and cheaper in the uk.

16. I look forward to the new year and seeing this bad boy up n running!

17. Pretty much what I did for my old Hybrid and with a PC3 and dyno time, gave a good 151hp at the wheel with a nice midrange. I did only have the one map made. Dyno guy stated that if I had the proper exhaust bungs in each pipeheader, so a map for each cylinder. My exhaust would have given slightly more. Something I never got around to as it was so nice to ride as it was.

So this exhaust set up will be fine.

PDQ in slough did my dyno set and after 3 hrs, ended up with a very smooth power delivery.

18. That's great to hear. What ecu was that running, the 1.6 or p8?

19. Dee Cee, just out of curiosity, what was it like prior to the Dyno setup?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information