1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Take On 996/1098 Mongrel Build!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. You need to have a word with cJS then. He gets 150 from a multi and 170+ from an 1198 with only filters and exhaust. :)

Although, dyno really only there to show how well it's fuelling and for race series tests :)

2. Right, chrimbo & new year all out of the way so time for bike stuff to progress.
    Several jobs are now signed off notably wiring alterations and testing, airbox/injectors. On the go at the moment is sorting out the plumbing, copper pipe swaged for hoses is because i have loads and is easy to work with. I am using as much of the 996 stuff that I have available to me. So i am using the thermostat housing albeit turned 90 degrees due to the 1098 horizontal water union not being the same as the 996. An additional carry-over from the 996 is that i had sourced and installed a lower temp stat for the cooling fan on the 996. This i wanted to retain and will be allied to twin cooling fans when done. the fans I expect to be using will be smaller and more compact than the ducati items i have seen.
    One of the things i have done with the water sensor housing is to make an adaptor plate that twists the union for the coolant pipe as it seemed easier that cobbling loads of hoses together.
    Uprated starter cables all made up and fitted. Anyway some pics of progress. Stuff of iphone jan 2017 098.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 168.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 169.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 170.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 173.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 029.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 043.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 037.JPG Stuff of iphone jan 2017 044.JPG

Next job is to make up the fuel lines, another simple job.

There is a question on the fuel regulator that Nelson may be able to advise on. Is the standard 996 intank regulator up to the job? Heard about crushing it to increase the pressure but if not needed ten i won't bother. The other option was to fit a remote regulator with adjustability.

• Like Like x 2
  3. My little helper is never far away Stuff of iphone jan 2017 039.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thought you had its lead plugged in to 240v!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don't tempt me. ;-)

6. Good work!
    I read a few posts re the fuel pressure reg, but TBH my contraptions all run just fine on the stock item.
    I didn't bother with cooling fans on my track bike.

7. Thanks for that, will suck it and see then.
    Can't be without for fans for me as I do some road miles out here.

8. An hour or so tidying hoses, fuel lines and knocking up some brackets for the xenon transformers. Need to get a few extra hose clamps then the plumbing job'a a goodun! image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. looking good dude. How long till ya fire her up you think?

10. My mate who's welding up the exhaust had to go to Canada for january to see family. Once he is back i will be on his case.
    Should really put some new belts on before fire up.
    Electrics are all done bar the twin fans as I failed to get the ones I wanted while in uk over xmas.
    Also had to get the sps out of the house thatI was building, that has now gone to Cornwall. So plenty other stuff been happening.
    Next must here is to pull the carbs of my wifes monster and give them a good clear out before spring.

11. Doesn't CJS lean the map off at high RPM to get higher top end figures?

12. IMG_0785.JPG
    No idea. My sheet doesn't show AF

13. busy man! Do a lil vid if ya can when ya hit play on her

14. Will do Chizel.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ok, it's been a while since an update.
    Been waiting and waiting on my mate to do the welding but I have given up and started the exhaust welding myself. So got a spool of Stainless wire and fired up my old hobby MIG. Spent an while blobbing it together today only to run out of Argon gas, so tomorrow will pop out and find a bottle..
    While waiting I've been doing other loose ends and tidying up where I can. Also been playing with some left over Carbon mat. Bike is all set to hit the button once the pipe is finished. Oil filters and coolant system all refresh and waiting. I have also keep enough space incase the radiator needs twin fans but only one is fitted at the moment as I will see how it goes. I have also got some stainless pop rivets to use when I get some packing.
    Priority is now to get it fired up.
    Fairing sides are not going on yet as I am also doing repairs to the fairing belly pan, plus I am waiting againg on my mate at Öhlins as he has sent off all of my Dzus fasteners to be Gold nitrided (something different) with a batch of other stuff which Öhins are having re-plated.
    Anyway a few pics
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Finished the exhaust on sunday and put everything back together, primed the fuel system to check for leaks. All good so hit the button.

• Like Like x 3
  17. :Watching:

18. Good news is she fired up no problem at all on first hit if the button.
    Idles nicely at about 12000rpm and feels very new and responsive.
    Bad news is I can not get the video to transfer to youtube so I can't post it. I will keep trying.
    Anyway, cooling system is all good, no oil or fuel leaks. I have a few pin hole leaks from the welding to blob up, my mate never came up trumps so I did the welding instead, but at least I can say I did all the work and mods with no outside help. God I loath being let down by mates whatever the reason. A reason would be nice ;-)
    Anyway, once the rain stops I will spin the bike up the road and get an idea of how it is fuelling. A few silly minor things to do like repairing my bellypan , but otherwise I will next be after getting a pc3 prior to getting it dynoed at some point. I have a very well recommended dyno guy not too far from me who will be called upon at some point. image.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  19. great skills mate. To start straight away with all the mods you've done is pretty impressive to me.
    makes me think of when al at proteam stripped my engine completely to get my casings re painted then put it back together.
    a few months later when the rest of the build was done and it was time to fire her up, I said "god I hope it starts" he just looked at me like I was an idiot and said blankly "why wouldn't it" and it did...
    love that shit...

• Like Like x 3
  20. It's a beautiful thing!

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information