1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Take On 996/1098 Mongrel Build!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Top job dude.

Ive still got a one off exhaust system from my old 1098 hybrid hanging up on the workshop wall. The welding on it is perfection, done by a chap who used to do f1 exhausts years ago.

Defo get it set up with a PC via the dyno. Made a world of difference on mine.

2. On the subject of pc's, I'm naieve to the things as I've never had one. what is the concensus of maps as a base for A starting point? Would I be looking for a stock 996 map and then the dyno man would work from that datum? Or would there be another accepted way?

3. I had a ecu fuel chip made by Tom on Ducati MS as starting point. This was a bit rich so then fitted a PC3 with a zero map and had it set up on he dyno.

I dont know what chip you are using in the ecu and how the bike would run on a 996 fuel map.

4. Are you keeping the standard ECU?

5. :Wideyed:

I hope that's a typo and it actually idles nicely at 1200rpm not 12000rpm!!! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. First off, yes a typo1200 at idle. I have one of toms chips in the original 1.6m ecu.
    I've not been out on it yet as we had rain during the weekend, but initially I was contemplating doing some plug chops at different rpm out on our local road to see what the mixture is doing. Then maybe tweek themixture pot in the ecu , as a stopgap prior to pc aquirage.

7. Getting the bugger to idle nicely with the 1.6m is half the battle!

8. Thats a relief!

9. So I assume that a zero map is a default map hat has no effect on what the ecu is doin

10. Yes mate.
    zero map is empty, as in no fueling values so will not change the fueling when PC is connected/active.

I would think plug chops would be a pita to be honest, and not give you an accurate enough reading. Just get the bike to idle nicely and then get it to a dyno man and make a bespoke fuel map. If i still had my PC3 fuel map I would e mail it to you if possible. That woul have been a good base map to start from.

11. Cheers for that re the PC3 info, I have someone lined up who can do the remap but in the meantime I just want to check that I'm not running too lean.
    I may do a couple of plug chops as where I am i got a nice empty road that runs downhill into our village and I can coast to my drive/garage no problem to whip the plugs out for a cursory glance.
    Next thing on the shopping list is a PC3, 758/916/996 units are the same are they not, just a difference in the maps?

12. I used the 1098 loom too. Just remember you will need clocks, keys and ecu off the same bike, plus I used the 1098 oil cooler, 1098 fans and switches and levers to scroll through menu. 996 levers won't fit over 1098 switches

#112 densel16, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  13. Have a look at my thread "waspyfrankenduke" in builds and projects. Nelsinho threads helped me a lot too!

14. Beautiful clear sunny weather out here in the Eifel. So out and about today doing some more running in. Whats peoples thoughts on running in a 1098 engine bearing in mind it had done 200 unknown miles prior to getting back to life?
    Some pics pre run.
    A couple of minor things to do but running well on Toms chip.
    march 2017 017.JPG

march 2017 015.JPG

march 2017 011.JPG

march 2017 016.JPG

march 2017 018.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bloody good effort!
    Did you make that heat shield?

16. Yes,

17. Had some cf cloth over from the airbox so seemed rude not to use it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Awesome machine.
    I guess you haven't opened her up properly yet but I would expect massive wheelies everywhere... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Right, I did say somewhere that I would do an update so here is some of what's gone on and is happening now.
    The past year I have been using the bike for run outs and trundling to work. A few minor niggles have cropped up and have been ironed out.

First niggle was an intermittant cut out on the front cylinder. At first I suspected a plug cap as it had always been a pig to get it to snap onto the plugcap, so after being out with some mates on their rsv4's and chugging to a halt the front pot was at fault again so roadside and can't do a lot, pull fairing off and try to put cap back on and all seemed ok. Then on way home it started to drop out again so as soon as I got home I ripped into the loom with a multimeter and found the cause. A dry joint on my injector loom. All back together and bingo all been good since.

Second main niggle was using the 996 throttle twistgrip assembly it was a ridiculous quick action. No this had to change as pulling away it was like having a switch rather than a throttle, allied to only having a pull to open and not having a closing cable was playing on my mind a bit. So an 848/1098 grip assemble was purchased complete with cables. Fitting was quite straight forward despite how the conversion reduced space to route the cables. Now I had a suspicion the cables would be too short and they were so I picked up a set of streetfighter throttle cables as they are about 4" longer. Perfect and a bit of extra to safely route them without any snagging. Also closing the throttle with a mechanical connection is prefered to just relying on a spring.

At the time of building the mongrel, I toyed with various options for cooling fans. The option I went with was a smaller fan that is a common fitment to some chinky bikes. Seemed like a gamble for £22 for a brand new fan assembly, but the dimensions were perfect so I have been keeping an eye on the guage thruout the year as I didn't want it to be insufficient in the cooling dept. At the time I left enough space to run a second fan on the rhs of the radiator. All has been good, the thermostat for the fan is a few degrees lower in operation than the old 996 one, this was from some car application and has worked faultlessly to keep the motor at a good temp despite ambient conditions.

I repaied and rejuvinated all the carbon on the bike, I covered this on another thread but thought I best put it here in my build. Basically any repairs were done and then I finished it all off with matt laquer. Not everyones ideal but I like the contrast with the gloss paintwork.

4.jpg
    5.jpg

The front end has also been changed for a set of 848 forks with S1000rr calipers. LTwin brake lines were at a great discount from Earls as a mate went to college with the owner. The swap was all very straight forward.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Now at the end of the riding season I had the yearning to change the rear swinger. Magnesium was out of my price range so an 848 one was purchached complete with shock/hub/brake caliper and disc. So the winter project was then set in motion. Get the swinger assembly all apart as it was cheap primarlly due to the state of it. It looked like it had been left outside for a few years, anyway all eventually came apart, threads cleaned and a bit of tct and it was ready to try it on the bike for size. I needed two spacers machining up so off to my mate at Ohlins who does most of there one off projects and two days late the spacers were in my hand.

13.jpg

I opted after much reading to go for making a bracket to mimic the location of the pivot point for the rocker, rather than fab a new rocker. So after an hour cutting and welding I had the bracket in hand so time for a test fit.

17.jpg

18.jpg
    22.jpg
    So happy with the geometry and everything tweeked and cleaned up time to install. Now I had purchaced some 5 spoke wheels over the christmas break. A mate painted them for me. so time to offer them up on the hub. Problem time! the brake caliper hits the spokes so now to find another option. The 848 runs a larger disc to the old 996 one. If I can use the 996 disc and hanger the caliper will be closer to the hub and will not interfere. The only stumbling block is that the caliper hanger is quite different from the 848 to the 996 in that if you try and use the 996 one the front bolt for fixing the caliper to the hanger fouls the frame. So out with the hub assembly and see if there is enough metal to mount the brake-plate slider pin in a slightly lower position to gain clearance. Yes there is, so out with the drill and fortunatly I had the correct m12 tap so pin relocated and problem solved. So 848 arm with 848 caliper on 996 hanger utilising my floating 996 brake disc.

24.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
    35.jpg

I have also changed the sprockets for 520 rather than 525.

32.jpg
    37.jpg

So waiting till I am next at work then I will swap the tyres over to the 5 spokes .
    So what for the future, well a few things are in my sights.
    A better executed rear half of the exhaust system.
    To crack why I can't get the laptop to communicate with the pc3.
    I want to replace the header tank with an ally one so that will get fabbed.
    I have some carbon cloth to hand so I have made a mould to make a new carbon under-tray.
    I know it is more for the sake of it but I like the idea of having dry break fittings on the front lines. I very much like the banjo/union idea in the pic
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    25.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Cracking job, I recognise them templates for the ally header tank!!
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information