1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nc 500

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Chris George, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Just had a dash round the NC 500, unbelievable weather, when was the last time your toured Scotland for a week without a sign of rain? I also suspect the extreme dry weather was keeping the midges at bay too. Fantastic.

IMG_1563.JPG

#1 Chris George, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Were you in Ullapool at the weekend. I spent the week on the west coast and only saw 2 other multistradas all week. First big trip for my wife on her Scrambler, guess who had the luggage 20180719_112216.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. 9 of us doing this in 3 weeks time, hope the weather stays the same. Looks awesome

4. Think I’m going to do this in September :)

5. No, we planned a midweek run, first stop Wick on the Sunday evening meant that we were in Ullapool on Monday night. Spotted this German Scramble in Ullapool though, which shows you can get some luggage on one !! IMG_1583.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Need to show that to my wife

7. Met a Belgian bloke in the cafe at Kinlochewe who was going round on a Triumph Bobber. 80 mile tank range..

8. If anyone is passing through Wick in the next few weeks let me know please I need a photo taking of a shop there

9. Funny place Wick. If your primary requirement from a holiday destination is to get murdered in your bed, Wick feels like an ideal spot. Maybe I just caught it on a bad day. Quite liked Thurso.

10. My mates just come back from a trip down to Sorrento in Italy and back via Venice and on to Prague, he covered 2800 miles on his Triumph Bobber, god knows how many fuel stops he had.
    Steve

11. I must say, I found the NC500 a doddle for fuel (except the garage at John O' Groats which has half day closing on Thursday).
    A few automated fuel pumps are appearing now so you can fill up 24/7 in the middle of nowhere. I expect more will appear though I'd still be wary of riding on late into the evening, which is a tempting thing to do in June when it's still light enough to read a book at nearly 11 o' clock at night. A few websites warn not to trust sta-nav fuel stop notifications as some garage have closed but I found mine were entirely accurate. I never came close to running low on fuel. But I do have well over 200 miles in my tank. Don't think my brain could handle 80.

12. Ha, with Thurso to Durness being 70 miles that introduces an extra level of challenge that I think I could do without - respect.

#12 Chris George, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I got a bit of that vibe too. On passing through Thurso I thought we should have stopped here.

14. It was fabulous and I fully recommend it. I have spent much of my time touring in Europe until the last couple of years and am now a convert to Scotland. The weather can be iffy, but you start the holiday so much sooner than rushing down the UK to cross the channel.

15. You do if you live in Yorkshire. Actually I quite enjoyed the ride up though England from Dorset. Cut out motorways altogether and stuck to minor A roads, avoiding trunk roads and dual carriageways where possible, going up the east side to Northumberland.
    Took a while but much nicer and less exhausting than slogging up the motorway with a numb arse and square tyres. On the way back I found a way of avoiding the A1 as well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information