1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice On New Chain

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Armo, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Hi hope someone can help my conumdrum my chain is 9,000 mile old and looks like it has a couple of tight links so needs replacing. Anybody know where the best place to buy a DID gold chain and decent sprockets from? How do I find out ( other than counting) how many links I need for a 2015 scrambler plus best way to remove mine and fit the new one as never done one before.
    Thanks in advance
    Armo
    (Was Tim the newbie) :p

2. I usually use these guys for chain and sprockets, Just put in your bike details and if its standard sprockets your after its no problem
    https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Also used sportsbikeshop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bike torque or b&c express, both incredibly helpful people :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cheers guys:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have just replaced my original chain after 14000 mile for a DID 530ZVMX Renthal sprockets. Got a great seal from local dealer.

I watched this video that I found really helpful mainly for the chain rivet kit that id bought cheap. Had used one in the past off the bay but was like toffee. bought one from machine mart circa £20 and was cautious as it was an identical kit. That said after having watching this I realised half the bits in the chain rivet kit are not used. Hope it helps

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's a cinch to break the old chain and even 'cheap' chain link breakers will do it, just remember that the chain link breaker is not really a breaker, more a chain link remover and reinstaller. Use an angle grinder to remove the mushrooming on the rivets to be extracted before using the chain link tool and you won't have any problems. I haven't watched that vid but Delboy is usually reliable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. To be fair the video is long winded and I skipped to the salient points

• Like Like x 1
  9. B&C Express are as good as anywhere and I can recommend the DID gold chain and Renthal sprocket combo for the Scrambler!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Thanks for the info, videos are great and much appreciated.

11. If you grind/Dremel the mushrooms off the joining links on the old chain and then continue to cut a slot across the outer plate will fall off and you don't need a removal tool, just a riveter :upyeah:

12. Great idea and I've got a Dremel:fist:

13. Grinder will take seconds, dremel whatever size you got will take many minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Maybe I'll borrow my work cordless grinder that should do the trick.
    Thanks

15. Make sure you cover everything up from the grinder sparks - Dremel is slow and clean, grinder is fast and messy :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi, you going to do it your self, you'll save a ton of money I have had 2 quotes on said £600 plus other said £400ish, don't know why the £200 difference buy the second got my business. good luck.

17. Tell @Armo nothing...........he’s sold his Ducati and is considering a Harley :mad:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Delboy does some good videos.
    I`ve always marked the pins on the split link. When oiling the chain, it makes it easy to see when the chain has done a full revolution.
    I also mark nuts and bolts when I`ve torqued them up. :bucktooth:

19. What do you mark them with please? Everything I use were off, especially on the chain:(

20. I use this.
    001.JPG

It`s not permanent but it does survive a couple of chain cleans. I use dry lube and I don`t spray the side plates.
    I don`t go mad cleaning and polishing, on non oily things it`s usually still on a year later.
    003.JPG

I`ve always marked nuts and bolts like this. It is a habit that goes back to when I was competing off road, a quick glance tells you everything is tightened up.
    I was once told "it`s won and lost in the garage." Now ain`t that the truth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information