1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Battery Area Help Please

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RexDangerVest, May 15, 2020.

1. thats 8. To me food of the gods is part of the name...

She has requested those too.

Nathans bun length and full Crescent rolls...

BUT What do I get?

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  2. So naturally I felt like I was getting nowhere... up and down for correct wrenches, extensions, whatever. Summer is here and the Garage door faces the Sun HOT!... It All Sucks!
    Until
    You look down and see that you are bleeding and remember...
    If you didnt bleed you didnt fix anything!

Battery was out in a flash after that. Except...
    Of friggin course it was upgraded... Shorei Lithium... That guy did Everything! (That is why the long bolt was missing. )t does not work with the Shorei according to Youtube so you know thats right.
    I am sure at this point that the Air filter will have been upgraded... and the brakes...
    BUT
    Of course the battery box is missing! I thought there was supposed to be a foam kit with those so it did not rattle around in the Battery box??

SO, Please, let me know. Can I move forward with my new battery (listing below) without a battery box? I believe it is a direct replacement, just one with the highest CCA. I understand I should have it... and I will order it...
    But when I get it running again I dont want to wait for the Love Boat from Italy to bring me one and not ride...
    Plus the pic of the battery I removed.
    Unless the battery was/is completely dead it was not the problem as what I thought was the positive connection being off the terminal was just the fact that the battery itself was moving around...

PS any tips on the first charge besides RTFM? It is coming dry with no charge (I have an old "Car" automatic that does 2a/10a/60a start) plus the new one coming

New Battery
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CKFP5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New charger
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old battery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rex

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Ok Rex, there’s a can of worms associated with discussing lithium batteries so we won’t go there.

Are you sure the battery is FUBAR?

You will need a special charger for a lithium battery or you will more likely than not cause a fire which you cannot put out.

LiFePo batteries don’t like to become fully discharged it really hurts them. Is yours fully discharged? Do you have a multimeter? What if anything is left in it.

Assuming it’s not fully discharged what happens when you reconnect the terminal that had come loose?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. OK unknown if fully discharged yet. Dont matter if it's Fubar.
    Buying and installing the regular? AGM battery above so my new charger matches that.
    There were many different CCA ratings for the basic model Battery I bought. I went with the highest.

So, any thoughts on the Battery Box anyone?
    Or filling and charging a dry battery?

Rex

5. Your dry battery will come with the liquid required to fill it (or at least they do here).

6. If you bought an AGM battery wont it arrive full and charged already? Albeit it’s still best to charge it overnight before first use anyway.

If there’s no battery box what was holding the LiFePo battery in place?

7. Magic... like the motorcycles designers time machine ... to design charge circuits for batteries that don't yet exist....:rolleyes:

8. Some come charged, this one will not. I have read the manual for it. Some online state letting it sit uncovered a little longer before charging.
    I believe I need to do the first charge with the "real" charger. Correct?

as for holding in place?
    A wing and a prayer?
    I mean the Door is still there... just not the Plastic box it sits in...

Rex

9. Try to source a battery box... having 2-3lbs of lead and acid wanging up and down unsupported will end in tears.
    Or make something perhaps look for carbon fibre after market farkles?
    To charge take your 2A mode on the car charger, leave off the eight fill caps and charge for 24 hours after the initial fill.
    Check the levels, top up if required then fit the caps.

#29 AirCon, May 16, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Just bought the 86611681A - CUSHION, BATTERY from Ducati Omaha

Rex

11. So now I am pissed!!!???!!!???
    Not really. But the Air filter is Ducati not an upgrade. I am glad. I can then follow the normal routine.
    I did not get to look at the Brakes yet...
    Lets talk about the two Tubes under the front of the tank
    Pain in the ass till you wrench it all in the air paint be damned...

Then the bad is that are are the 2 Hoses at the front bottom of the tank
    Help Please... Call your friends... The GD Yankee needs help.
    First off the videos say two things that i hope i go listen to and tell you here...
    BUT Ducati calls them
    PIPE
    and
    Hose, drain
    Emissions and overflow in a video...
    The small one is crushed flat in more than one spot...

WTF are they really? I cannot tell fro the parts diagram... but the smaller hose is crushed in several places.
    How bad is that?
    Pics below

Let me know if you think the hose question should go wider than this thread...
    Also do they HAVE TO go back in that metal guide??

So I THINK the smaller one is crimped... and I think it is the one to the front.
    What is it?
    Do they both NEED to go back under that metal holder??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THe battery did seem to charge. Not sure there is a market for second hand Lithium Batteries...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rex

• WTF WTF x 1
  12. Ffs Rex... you asked for advice on charging the lead acid battery!
    ..... I hope it doesn't go Yippee ki-yay MF on your ass (see name of charger :rolleyes:).
    Don't leave it unattended and turn off immediately if it gets too hot to touch.
    unnamed.png

#32 AirCon, May 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dude. Just step away from the bike and get someone there who understands basic maintenance.
    It is patently obvious that you haven't got a clue what you are doing and will only end up
    either damaging something or having an accident due to poor workmanship.

As a former mechanic, it was quite common to see bikes enter the workshop with glaring issues
    created by their owner's DIY. We would have a duty of care to either rectify the faults or refuse to
    touch the bikes at all if the owners rejected the safety repairs, as we could not let the bikes leave our business
    in that state if we had worked on them.
    There is no shame in realising that you are not suited to the tasks you are setting yourself. Many people
    are just not capable of working on motorcycles. Bikes are dangerous enough without adding poor maintenance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. You are my new favourite forum member... :kissing_heart::kissing::rolleyes::yum

15. Whilst I don’t disagree with you @990Glen provided Rex has a modicum of common sense* and some mechanical sympathy, there’s only one way to learn and it’s an extremely useful way to get to know your own bike. Changing air filters & batteries is really basic stuff.

* mind you, judging by the charger used on the LiFePo battery :astonished: after being told to use a dedicated lithium battery charger, my assumption may be invalid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. :thinkingface:

:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. @RexDangerVest the 2 hoses, pipes, tubes, whatever you want to call them are the breathers for your fuel tank (see part 17 on the diagram below). They go into a canister which contains a filter (part 9) which traps any petrol fumes/residue which may escape the tank and which other wise would go direct to the atmosphere. On older bikes they just vented to the atmosphere.

https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/d...PORATIVE-EMISSION-SYSTEM-EVAP-/455/2318/0/455

They shouldn’t be squashed or trapped so it looks like they weren’t routed properly when the tank was last off and then put back.

#37 West Cork Paul, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. For some yes, others not so much. With modern bikes, the access to stuff can create unforeseen problems, never mind the actual task.
    Its very easy to get bold after seeing some of the guys on here and their nut and bolt rebuild threads, and yes we all have to learn somewhere.
    I would suggest that an expensive, relatively high powered bike is not the place to cut your teeth. Maybe buying an old clunker and
    getting to understand things there would be better.
    I certainly don't mean to offend the guy, but I would rather he was offended than dead or sitting there cursing with a totally fubarred bike.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. You do have a point Glen, so Rex, take note please. Do RTFM. Get yourself a workshop manual if you intend to persist in your endeavours, they’re available online, try carlsalter.com for a start. Battery, battery box, air filter, all relatively safe areas to play around, however, you’ve also been talking about brakes:astonished: I’d leave that area to the professionals and ffs make sure your ABS electrical circuit is fully reconnected and fully functional.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WOW
    Thank you for all of the replies. I am happy to get all of your insight.
    BUT
    While I have no experience on this BIKE.
    I have owned on and off road bikes, Snowmobiles, Boats, Countless cars, 2 trucks (One diesel) And done near all the work on them.
    Plus, I worked on copiers (Wet and dry over 100 copies a minute within a mm) printers, and scanners for a living for near 15 years. I was the one that got sent to fix it right when the others failed. And I have been a Network Engineer for over 20yrs...
    OH, and 5 houses that I repaired everything on including building fully working House sized extensions onto 2 of them.

So yeah, I can do this. I can make mistakes too. Its a used bike. I did not know it was a lithium battery till I had it out...
    BUT even the manufacturer agrees that I can use a regular charger if done correctly on the lowest setting.
    Was I right near it doing other things? Yup and it never even got warm.
    The new Battery will not be lithium. They are not worth it. The new charger is correct for the battery that will go in.
    and there will be a charging dongle that goes direct to the battery instead of the Diag port.
    And I admit my mistakes.
    What I do MOST is research... I have watched countless videos on EVERYTHING I do... and read countless threads across many different forums. I have the full repair manual, owners manual, and parts diagram... Many of my posts are asking for advice because I know from experience... that experience counts and many times you can gain valuable insight from those that have done it before...

Divorce saw me left with near no tools. I am rebuilding.

I did not assemble this without a battery box, but I will temporarily so that I can ride till the new one arrives.
    I actually do, and did know what the 2 hoses do. Sorry if I was trying to be entertaining when using the actual Ducati names for them
    What I DON'T know (Positively) is which one does what...
    My bike Does Not have the charcoal canister... Nor do I think it ever did since it was a NC bike. And at this point I probably would have done the research on how to remove it if it WAS there...
    So I cannot follow it to see. Nor did I even try.
    I DID come here and ask because just like ANY good (worker, mechanic or otherwise) when you dont know but DO care you ask so that you learn and do it right...

So nobody knows for sure which hose is which? I will look closer at the diagram and make a decision.

Stop reading now 990, your heart might not take it.

Today, since the new battery/torque wrench/Torx60 etc wont arrive till late I will be...

Re assembling the tank once I determine which hose does what.
    Yes I will curse when I route the hoses back under that metal piece that was SUPPOSED to stop them getting crushed...
    But if a few well regarded wrenches here said... no just be careful and use a ziptie... I might have done that.
    I will be creating and routing the charging dongle. Yeah creating, it will be rated for 30a and fused to be sure I have no issues charging or jumping if needed. (Yes 99, I think I can create something here in a Garage in GA USA that beats the quality from a factory in China where a child is being told to go faster...)
    I will also be removing a front caliper today to get a good look at the wear on the pads and to determine which brand and model they are. I am happy with them and will want the same or similar again.
    No, no they will not go back on till I get the torque wrench. If I don't like the wear they will not go on until new pads arrive.

While I do have access to a shop that is well regarded and I took it to them for a bunch of stuff at first while I am ramping up the garage... I did find 2 small mistakes. I still trust them...
    BUT, nobody will care more that the bike is safe than I will.

PS 990Glen. Thank you for caring, really. and all of you. I know that you meant well, and I worked with and repaired the mistakes of many people who did crap service. But I am more qualified than you may know. And I do not take anything lightly. I received the same kind of response when I asked 1200S vs R wondering if I would need wheelie control. Because every review shows how easy the wheel comes up...
    I dont. But I did want gain as much advice as possible. The best advice there was that it did not prevent it... it merely slowed the rise. I still want a shiny Black R (Next) but this was an awesome deal

So yeah, I have an air filter question out there (solved, I will keep stock) and a brake question, and there will be more.
    I hope I still get your advice. But, I wont always take it. There is no way to tell if someone is actually knowledgeable from a few posts. 990glen could have wrenched for Rossi... Could have been fired for incompetence too. No way to tell just because they say they were a mechanic.
    Not calling you out 990.

Rex

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information