1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutral Light

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by acelav, Aug 6, 2017.

1. hope someone can shed some light on this for me ,was out on the bike yesterday and noticed that the neutral light was sort of half on ,a dim glow when in gear and when put in neutral it would glow as normal so which end would it be best to start looking, the clocks or the engine or could it be a wire that has rubbed in the loom thanks Stuart

2. Had the same problem I cleaned the terminals at the switch end and the plug halfway up the frame and its been fine since.Hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Unplug the neutral wire connection and clean the connector contacts. If that doesn't work, disconnect the connection again, then try tightening the neutral switch.

If no change still, undo the neutral switch from the back of the gearbox - remove any washer from it and save the washer.

Then try screwing the neutral swicth in a bit more than it was (only say, half to one turn more) and see if it makes a difference.

You may need a thinner (or thicker washer).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thanks for the info will have a look and try the things and let you know thanks

5. The switch itself is a very simple device. I would try the shimming described. If you need another switch I have one I could supply.

6. Interestingly I've had this on my M600 for several years now and have got used to kind of ignoring it. Sometimes a spray with WD40 at the switch helps for a while, but it always comes back.

Is there a trick to unscrewing the switch from the back of the gearbox? It looks like I'd need a tiny crow's foot spanner or something?

7. I got an old cheap deep socket which I drilled a hole in the side of. This then allowed the wire to feed through and I could remove the switch.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I think I used a ring spanner with a cranked end - but it may have been an AF size - can't remember now!

9. glade someone else asked that question first as that was next by the way what size socket is needed????

10. I think I used a cranked 7/16" AF ring spanner (the nearest AF to a 10mm spanner).

11. just before you go removing the neutral light switch, it's worth removing the lead where it connects to the sensor just to confirm that the dull glowing has stopped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Well, I did tell him to disconnect it, Chris - but I didn't say check the light as well!

Thanks, AL

13. It's definitely a metric size, I can check when I get home

Do Not Sell My Personal Information