1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 749 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Guzz, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Nothing special, but a little update.

Got home for the weekend, dead excited to go for a Saturday blat around. But, because it's been sat for a while the battery has dipped to around 11v on the terminals. So I had to drive, while being overtaken by hundreds of bikes, to buy a battery tender.

While pushing the bike around, I've noticed that the front wheel bearing is on its way out.

I did have a quick peak at fitting the pressure switch to the brembo master. But I havent a clue where it attaches.
    My thinking is that it goes where the one with the nipple is? Or is that for bleeding the brakes?

It was a pretty disappointing weekend, i was initially quite annoyed with myself for buying the thing. But it's early in the year and there's plenty of riding to be done yet.

20180217_121646.jpg

2. Shouldn't be riding it on salty roads anyway.

Surely the bearings would have to be completely gone to tell from pushing the bike around??

11v is very low, let's hope the battery's not buggered now.

Integrated lights look nice but indicators have to be a set distance apart to be legal and pass an MOT. Don't remember the measurement off hand but it'll be more than you get from an integrated light. :(

You may be able to keep the light and just add indicators though :)

#43 Old rider, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  3. I'm won't be riding it for a few weeks, without a garage I can't trickle charge the battery, so there is a good chance that the battery will be knacked then.
    That's what I'm thinking. And I'm sure that it's a fairly difficult job. I can't get to the bike during the weekend anyway.

Yeah I thought as much, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Rideable state first.

4. Be sure to smear the grommet with Vaseline or grease to make sure it’s easier to refit and remove in future.[/QUOTE]
    WHY have you not mentioned this before!!!!!!!!!!:upyeah:
    Then again why didnt I think of it:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. WHY have you not mentioned this before!!!!!!!!!!:upyeah:
    Then again why didnt I think of it:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Haha.
    New customers only... ;) lol

• Love You Love You x 1
  6. 10.5V is the lowest cycle point for Lead Acid before damaging deep discharge starts to occur or about 80% of the remaining stored electrical energy. This energy normally isn''t of any utility on the bike as the circuits are designed for a nominal 12V.

• Useful Useful x 3
  7. Sounds like a new battery for me then!

8. Make sure it’s an AGM.
    If you subscribe to this forum and get a Halfords card, you can get a Yuasa for about 44 quid :)

9. defo gotta sort those throttle cables out, maybe the prev owner cut the locating pin off the throttle? not sure how the cables have ended up above the brake lever... Have put a pic of mine, same lever I think... Also a pic of the pressure switch, it's the nut behind the lower hose, which is a replacement banjo(connects hose/hoses to lever), sorry about the lighting, my garage light is crap so I'm using a torch lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information