1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 750ss Owner In Surrey

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by 900theginge, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Hi and welcome, they are great fun to ride. Bike looks mint.
    Whereabouts are you?

2. I’m in Woking. Planning to take a ride to Newlands corner or Rykas cafe at Box hill on the weekend. Happy to buy you a coffee if your about

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welcome!

Great bike, when were the belts last changed? :)

4. I'm in Kent, so not a million miles away. Not about this weekend. Roll on the spring and we will have to get a few of us SS owners together

5. This was the work done by a Ducati dealer last year. It’s had oils and fuel filters done this year. How often should I look at changing the belts would you say?

80C2BFA9-5FB0-40D2-AA66-9CBCDB50EE7A.jpeg

6. Spot on, belts interval is 24 months, I have done mine at 36 months. Mileage interval has not triggered mine, and with your low mileage bike it’s great that you’re good to go. :) Enjoy!

7. Welcome dude, being sluggish at low revs is normal, keep it over 4k to br sweet :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome and enjoy. Nice bike!!

9. image.jpeg These keys? In my bottom drawer. No idea why. Anyone need one cover my postage and envelope.

10. Welcome fellow 750SS owner :upyeah:
    You'll probably find that "chuggy" feeling you describe could well be attributed in part to chain adjustment/lubrication. My 750SS was my first Ducati too & I have noticed over the years that it is far more susceptible to correct chain adjustment/lubrication, far more than any three or four cylinder engine. It is also a natural "feature" of a vee twin so you will never totally get rid of that feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Welcome along,that’s a nice clean bike

• Like Like x 1
  12. hello and welcome looks a nice example but as mentioned pics of bike must include a wheelie bin in background (just to keep ducbird happy) place is full of relevant info and knowledge if you plan on any maintenance etc
    any questions someone usually has the answer

13. If the bike has been standing for some time, there is easily a chance that some old petrol has left some debris in the float bowls and pilot circuits, but maybe not too much......however it could affect the low revs running and make it a bit chuggy because the pilot circuit controls low revs up to around 2500 -3000 rpm.
    I would be inclined to run the bike for quite a few miles over say 3 months and see if it improves. If it doesn't get better there is the option of cleaning the carbs out or even trying a tweak to the carb balance screw....balance is more noticeable at low revs than when the main jet comes into operation unless the balance is wildly out.
    I had a similar problem which turned out to be hard muck from petrol deposits in the pilot circuit.....took a lot of work and patience to clear it, but in the end I could easily ride the bike at 30mph at around 2500 rpm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lovely. Mine looked much the same until white-van-man smashed it into pieces in 2016. They remain wonderful A-road bikes.

15. By the way.....I don't know who did the work to the bike, but the list shows belts were done.

However, I don't have a clue as to what the 'Half ring'; gaskets*; o-ring were for; and I certainly can't see why the oil o-ring is noted separately from the oil filter, when the seal normally comes with the filter.
    On top of that, WTF is cooling fluid for?

* the gaskets might be the oil drain plug and filter screen aluminium washers.

#35 Arquebus, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  16. Was the service done in France?

17. That’s right, it was done when the previous owner took it down to the south of France. How can you tell? Loving everything I’m finding out already!

18. The give away is the use of French on the bill. Registration and labour. The seat probably had a faint whiff of garlic, cheese and a rather fine Gigondas red.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. And the disconcerting smell of blocked drains

20. You might like to check front and rear sprocket sizes against standard.
    Italian tune up helps. Carb pilots may have some clogging. The French have been using mixed fuel longer than the UK. Check brake pads all round some sintered pads pit with age. Brake lines age, look for any signs of them being brittle, originals coming up for 25 years old. Everything ages and gums up!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information